Thread poster: Seamus Moran
Seamus Moran
Seamus Moran
Ireland
Local time: 14:59
German to English
+ ...
May 21, 2008

I just had a look at the German source text and it is a real turn-off because it is SO long. I don't know where people are supposed to find the time to do such a long translation when they have their own work to do.

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Criteria for source text selection May 21, 2008

Dear Seamus,

Thanks for your interest. As I mentioned earlier, source texts are proposed by the community. When someone expresses interest in helping find a suitable source text in a given language, they are sent the criteria for source selection, which is the same for all languages. One of the items considered is the length of the text. The ideal is to present source texts of around 350 words. Sometimes the texts are a bit shorter, and sometimes a bit longer.

Remember
... See more
Dear Seamus,

Thanks for your interest. As I mentioned earlier, source texts are proposed by the community. When someone expresses interest in helping find a suitable source text in a given language, they are sent the criteria for source selection, which is the same for all languages. One of the items considered is the length of the text. The ideal is to present source texts of around 350 words. Sometimes the texts are a bit shorter, and sometimes a bit longer.

Remember that you can participate in all your language combinations. There is also a source text in French available in this contest, which may be closer to your preferences.

Thanks.

Romina
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:59
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Agree with Seamus May 21, 2008

The Portuguese source text was too long, too. I started to do it but then it just dragged on and on so I gave it up.

Amy

Seamus Moran
Seamus Moran
Ireland
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not about language - it's about length May 21, 2008

As the title says, it's not about the particular but the length of the text. I don't see the point in such a wearisome process.

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Source text length May 21, 2008

Dear Seamus,

I understand your point. That is why I mentioned the French source text to you as it is within your language combinations and it is shorter. Do you still find it too long?

Please let me know.

Romina

Jean-Pierre Bergez Saretzki (X)
Jean-Pierre Bergez Saretzki (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
Text wordcount May 22, 2008

In my view, about 350 words to be translated in about a month is not a big deal. Plenty of time to do it as well as your own job and other committments.
Cheers,
Jean-Pierre

Seamus Moran
Seamus Moran
Ireland
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Depends on your priorities May 22, 2008

Well ok if you're so eager to gain kudos and win the competition. Personally, my work is keeping me busy at the moment - and at least i get paid for it!

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
Hum... May 22, 2008

...touchy.

I see that your paid work doesn't keep you so busy not to rebuke for free.

From your initial query I thought that you actually wanted to take part in the competition, but found the text too long.

My opinion was simply that is not that long. I didn't mention anything about winning the competition, unpaid work, kudoz participation...

By the way, I don't quite follow your kudoz comment, but I can see that you have asked 12 Kudoz questi
... See more
...touchy.

I see that your paid work doesn't keep you so busy not to rebuke for free.

From your initial query I thought that you actually wanted to take part in the competition, but found the text too long.

My opinion was simply that is not that long. I didn't mention anything about winning the competition, unpaid work, kudoz participation...

By the way, I don't quite follow your kudoz comment, but I can see that you have asked 12 Kudoz questions and received 12 free answers, but have not helped anyone in turn. On the other hand, Kudoz points mean very little, everybody knows that. It's all about helping one another.

Cheers,
Jean-Pierre
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:59
Italian to English
+ ...
Misunderstanding May 22, 2008

Jean-Pierre Bergez Saretzki wrote:

By the way, I don't quite follow your kudoz comment...

Seamus didn't say Kudoz, he said kudos - nothing to do with Kudoz points, although it's undoubtedly the inspiration for the name.

kudos = acclaim or praise for exceptional achievement (answers.com)

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
Misunderstanding May 22, 2008

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

Jean-Pierre Bergez Saretzki wrote:

By the way, I don't quite follow your kudoz comment...

Seamus didn't say Kudoz, he said kudos - nothing to do with Kudoz points, although it's undoubtedly the inspiration for the name.

kudos = acclaim or praise for exceptional achievement (answers.com)

Ooops! Sorry. And no wonder I couldn´t follow what Seamus was referring to, I completely misread the word.
Jean-Pierre

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Source text too long

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »