Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 16:31
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

One contest per year should be quite enough May 4, 2008

Henry D wrote:
The contests that have been held so far we are viewing as "minor" contests. These have been held at a rate of about four per year, i.e. quarterly. We also plan to have one "major" contest annually, starting this year.

Dear Henry,

thank you for your answer! I still believe (and my conviction is based on my observation of a considerable number of literary contests, in which I regularly participate) that one big contest per year should be quite enough.
Now, if we are going to have "bigger" and "minor" contests, we are also bound to have "bigger" and "minor" winners... This is quite perplexing and represents an unnecessary complication. Exactly how much bigger a "big" win is? After all - and most importantly - winning a contest is yet another way to attract customers, and how are outsourcers going to differentiate between the different kinds of contests - and the professional qualities of translators? You will also have to introduce two kinds of signs in the translators' profiles - one for "minor" contests and one for "bigger" (and then, hopefully, use them as ordering values in the language pair directories.)
And one last point to consider: all who have won so far would automatically be labeled winners in "minor" contests, which does not seem fair, as there has been no such division so far...

[Edited at 2008-05-04 08:04]

Iwona Szymaniak
Iwona Szymaniak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 15:31
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Little contests May 4, 2008

Pavel, please, let it go.

Many people like our little ProZ contests once in a while. I do to though the last was the first for me to participate.

Try to have some fun with them and don't take it all too seriously.

Our outsources are not dumb and they are also part of the community. I believe they will be able to tell one from another without any problem.

I do not believe I would be perplexed by having won a minor
... See more
Pavel, please, let it go.

Many people like our little ProZ contests once in a while. I do to though the last was the first for me to participate.

Try to have some fun with them and don't take it all too seriously.

Our outsources are not dumb and they are also part of the community. I believe they will be able to tell one from another without any problem.

I do not believe I would be perplexed by having won a minor contest in 2 language pairs or 1 pair, if that was the case. I was happy and enjoyed the experience. Why would I torture myself to regret it? And you can always take part in the major contest and win, can't you?

Greetings,

Iwonka
Collapse

Yuri Smirnov
Yuri Smirnov  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:31
English to Belarusian
+ ...
Same thoughts May 4, 2008

Dear Pavel,
I don't quite understand why you're so upset about having minor and major contests (and, inevitably, winners of those). What's the problem?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Planned change to qualification round voting

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »