Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Idea: To prevent unfair voting (clone profiles), show votes, with names, after voting closes.
Thread poster: Alexander Onishko
Katia Gygax
Katia Gygax  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:58
French to Russian
+ ...
We won't publish voter names from this contest Apr 13, 2008

We can't do that, as the expectation of some may have been that their votes would not be public.

Next time with a proper warning?

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 12:58
SITE FOUNDER
Yes, I understand the logic Apr 14, 2008

Yuri Smirnov wrote:
Henry D wrote:
We can't do that, as the expectation of some may have been that their votes would not be public.

Privacy abuse connotations are understood. At least, by me. But, at least, you see the idea behind making votes public post factum and see it's supported by many.

Yes, I do. I would look for input from others, but otherwise defer to Romina.

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:58
English to Italian
RO>IT too Apr 14, 2008

Henry, if you cannot make the votes public, I would appreciate if you find some other solution to confirm the fair vote in the ENG-RU and DE-RU combinations in the 6th contest. The longer it takes to arrive at a final decision, the greater the likelihood that the legitimacy of the winners will be questioned.

[Редактировалось 2008-04-14 10:40]

I'd like to point out that there is a similar problem in the RO>IT combination. The winning translation has a few evident mistakes and I wonder who voted for it. The translations that didn't win have a much better rendition and do not contain such mistakes.

Irena Pizzi
Irena Pizzi  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Bulgarian
+ ...
Looks like it is a common malady... Apr 14, 2008

Liliana Roman-Hamilton wrote:

Henry, if you cannot make the votes public, I would appreciate if you find some other solution to confirm the fair vote in the ENG-RU and DE-RU combinations in the 6th contest. The longer it takes to arrive at a final decision, the greater the likelihood that the legitimacy of the winners will be questioned.

[Редактировалось 2008-04-14 10:40]

I'd like to point out that there is a similar problem in the RO>IT combination. The winning translation has a few evident mistakes and I wonder who voted for it. The translations that didn't win have a much better rendition and do not contain such mistakes.

There is absolutely the same situation in the English>Bulgarian pair, as I already said. The winning translation has not few but FOURTEEN SERIOUS TRANSLATION MISTAKES, I am not talking about brackets and commas, and notwithstanding that fact it won with a majority that makes one doubt about such an unanimity.

vera12191
vera12191  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
Clarification Apr 14, 2008

Liliana Roman-Hamilton wrote:

Liliana, the situations are not similar. It is not the quality of translations that is questioned in the ENG-RU combination (not perfect but obviously the best) but the fair play of the authors of the winning entries, me included.

[Редактировалось 2008-04-16 07:50]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 12:58
SITE FOUNDER
Looks like the winners won fair and square Apr 15, 2008

We have reviewed voting in English to Russian, German to Russian and English to Bulgarian. Among votes submitted for the winners, most came from members. Even among non-member profiles submitting votes for winners, there is a normal distribution of IDs, meaning that there is not a large number that were created recently. Profile completeness among these profiles also appeared normal in a quick review.

In short, the pattern does not appear to be one of fraud, and there was certainly
... See more
We have reviewed voting in English to Russian, German to Russian and English to Bulgarian. Among votes submitted for the winners, most came from members. Even among non-member profiles submitting votes for winners, there is a normal distribution of IDs, meaning that there is not a large number that were created recently. Profile completeness among these profiles also appeared normal in a quick review.

In short, the pattern does not appear to be one of fraud, and there was certainly not any widespread "cloning" of profiles, at least not to vote for the winners. So it would seem that the winners have won, fair and square.

This being the case, I would ask that in the absence of evidence, site users refrain from suggesting that winners' victories were somehow unfair.

I also looked at Romanian to Italian, by the way. The number of voters is very low, but again, there is no apparent fraud.
Collapse

Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 18:58
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Here are my suggestions for changes in future contests: Apr 15, 2008

1. After the contest has finished, all entries should be shown with the names of their authors. If entries are listed anonymously, then bitter losers start posting offending remarks on the winning text, pretending to be voicing their just indignation with the quality of the winning translation. They would not do that if they had their own names in plain view - next to an entry that has failed to win.
2. Winners should not be obliged to answer any questions. Knowing how heated the discussio
... See more
1. After the contest has finished, all entries should be shown with the names of their authors. If entries are listed anonymously, then bitter losers start posting offending remarks on the winning text, pretending to be voicing their just indignation with the quality of the winning translation. They would not do that if they had their own names in plain view - next to an entry that has failed to win.
2. Winners should not be obliged to answer any questions. Knowing how heated the discussions can become in KudoZ - and those concern the translation of a single word - can you imagine a discussion concerning a whole page? We will never see the end of it.
3. No comments implying on foul play (manipulation of contest voting) - and not offering any proof! - should be allowed. If such comments are posted they must be deleted and their authors - penalized.
4. Detailed statistics should be posted on contest end: who voted and how many points he gave in this specific language pair. Then nobody will feel that the contest results have been manipulated.
5. There should be strict rules as to who can vote for what. Team members should not be allowed to vote for members of their own team or against members of competing teams. Those who have posted positive WWA for someone should not be allowed to vote for the same person in contests.
6. Winners should be chosen by experts and community vote, but the prevailing vote should be given to community vote. If you can assure that no manipulation of voting can occur then community vote should be quite enough. And one more point to consider: who would you put on that board of experts? Technical translations and art translations are in different divisions so make sure you do not pick translators of technical texts to be the judges of art translations or the result of the experts' evaluation and the community vote may differ drastically.
7. Deadlines must not be changed in those pairs that have enough entries to qualify (instead think of what an acceptable qualification number is). This is the first rule of Public Relations: when you say that something is going to happen at a specific time on a certain date, you should make every effort to keep your own word, or you risk loosing credibility.
8. Translators who have submitted an entry should not be asked to "choose a winning entry" (and give it a 4 point lead) among their rivals. In effect that means voting against your own proposal!

[Edited at 2008-04-15 20:36]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Idea: To prevent unfair voting (clone profiles), show votes, with names, after voting closes.

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »