Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 00:04
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Roman Mar 27, 2008

Roman Bulkiewicz wrote:

... to extend this principle of "minimum unjustice", may be the "selective" approach should be modified to allow the "affected" submitters to choose between two options:

Minimizing the injustice is indeed the intent. Thanks for your suggestion of a "modified selective" approach, and thanks to those who agreed, at least in part. I have added it as an option in my original post, leaving four options.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Good suggestion, Larissa B Mar 27, 2008

Larissa B wrote:

How about conducting a quick poll and going by the majority?

Sounds good.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Please vote in the 1-question survey Mar 27, 2008

As per Larissa B's suggestion, here is a 1-question survey for indicating your preferred approach. We'll post results here periodically as they come in, to approximate the quick-poll effect.

Please vote! http://www.proz.com/survey/133

Alexander Onishko
Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
Another option shall be added - "Ingore it" Mar 27, 2008

I think another option shall be added to the poll - "just ignore it".

As far as I understand the situation:

- The entries already submitted were shown for some short period of time (say 5 minutes) to some users that visited the contest page on the final day of submission?

I hardly believe that someone could during this short period read the entries and during the short time, left until the submission phase was closed, somehow improve own or smb / else's
... See more

- The entries already submitted were shown for some short period of time (say 5 minutes) to some users that visited the contest page on the final day of submission?

I hardly believe that someone could during this short period read the entries and during the short time, left until the submission phase was closed, somehow improve own or smb / else's translation in this way.

Let us consider this bug as force majeur or smth like that.
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
It was about 2 weeks, Alexander Mar 27, 2008

Alexander Onishko wrote:

No, that is not accurate. As has been the practice in previous contests, during the period that qualification round voting was happening in pairs with a relatively high number of entries, submissions were allowed to continue in pairs with a relative low number of entries. Those were the affected pairs - pairs in which submissions were allowed to continue. Entries could be seen, and submissions could be made, for about 2 weeks.

Alexander Onishko
Russian to English
+ ...
Now I see ... Mar 27, 2008

Henry D wrote:

No, that is not accurate. As has been the practice in previous contests, during the period that qualification round voting was happening in pairs with a relatively high number of entries, submissions were allowed to continue in pairs with a relative low number of entries. Those were the affected pairs - pairs in which submissions were allowed to continue. Entries could be seen, and submissions could be made, for about 2 weeks.

Well, in this case I revoke my above suggestion.

Alexander Onishko
Russian to English
+ ...
add the explanations Mar 27, 2008

I believe that it will be more convenient for the voters if explanations of approaches -

Option 1: ("Asterisk" approach) Proceed to finals round voting with all entries allowed - but do not consider it an "official" contest. A note would appear in the page, and winning information would not go to profiles.
Option 2: ("Selective" approach) Proceed to final round voting with only those entries that are known with certainty to be unaffected.
Option 3 (added later): ("Modified selective" approach) Ask those who had the benefit of others' entries or discussion about them to voluntarily remove their entries. Proceed to final round voting with all remaining entries, making clear in which cases access to other entries was impossible.
Option 4: ("Cancellation") Cancel the contest in the "hybrid" pairs.

- will be added to the poll page.

[Edited at 2008-03-27 15:33]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
ok Mar 27, 2008

Alexander Onishko wrote:
I believe that it will be more convenient for the voters if explanations of approaches -

Option 1: ("Asterisk" approach) Proceed to finals round voting with all entries allowed - but do not consider it an "official" contest. A note would appear in the page, and winning information would not go to profiles.
Option 2: ("Selective" approach) Proceed to final round voting with only those entries that are known with certainty to be unaffected.
Option 3 (added later): ("Modified selective" approach) Ask those who had the benefit of others' entries or discussion about them to voluntarily remove their entries. Proceed to final round voting with all remaining entries, making clear in which cases access to other entries was impossible.
Option 4: ("Cancellation") Cancel the contest in the "hybrid" pairs.

- will be added to the poll page.

I'll expand on it a bit, but basically, I want to be sure people read the whole post.

Early results:

3 for selective
3 for modified selective
1 for asterisk

Nick Lingris
Nick Lingris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:04
Member (2006)
English to Greek
+ ...
Ignore it Mar 27, 2008

I am confident in the belief that all the members of ProZ.com are honest and honourable people. Even if I am wrong, please allow me to maintain this illusion.

I do not think that a literary translation of any merit can benefit from plagiarism when all the translations will be there to be compared.

As a result, my stand on this is that we should go ahead with the voting as if the bug had never happened. Add “Ignore it” to the poll and I’ll vote for it.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
I added the option 'ignore it' Mar 27, 2008

Nick Lingris wrote:

I am confident in the belief that all the members of ProZ.com are honest and honourable people. Even if I am wrong, please allow me to maintain this illusion.

I do not think that a literary translation of any merit can benefit from plagiarism when all the translations will be there to be compared.

As a result, my stand on this is that we should go ahead with the voting as if the bug had never happened. Add “Ignore it” to the poll and I’ll vote for it.

I have added the option 'ignore it'. Thank you.

Yuri Smirnov
Yuri Smirnov  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:04
English to Belarusian
+ ...
With you Mar 27, 2008

Nick Lingris wrote:

I just cannot understand either how on earth this can give advantage to someone. A poor translator will rewrite a good one's translation or what?.. Or vice versa?

Here's a second vote. I don't see any problem at all here.

Roman Bulkiewicz
Roman Bulkiewicz  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:04
Member (2004)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Having thought about it a bit more... Mar 27, 2008

...and considering the things Roland mentioned, I tend to agree with Nick and Yuri. If someone could have benefited from viewing other's entries, this would lead to, at best (or at worst), a very minor distortion.

Nick, thank you for proposing the "ignore" option.

One belated thought..... may be this discussion should have been started without disclosing the specific "affected" pairs.

Another thought.... Henry, if your further investigation leads to "acqui
... See more
...and considering the things Roland mentioned, I tend to agree with Nick and Yuri. If someone could have benefited from viewing other's entries, this would lead to, at best (or at worst), a very minor distortion.

Nick, thank you for proposing the "ignore" option.

One belated thought..... may be this discussion should have been started without disclosing the specific "affected" pairs.

Another thought.... Henry, if your further investigation leads to "acquittal" of any of the "questioned" pairs, please do publish the results.

Nick Lingris wrote:

Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Current results... Mar 27, 2008

'Ignore' - 8
'Modified selective' approach - 6
'Selective' approach - 5
'Asterisk' approach - 1
Cancel all hybrid pairs - 0

I think this is enough of a sample that the general sentiment is clear... I will post...

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Please do not let out whether or not you submitted an entry Mar 27, 2008

Hi all,

A side request. In your posts here, it would be better not to let out whether or not you submitted an entry, as this could compromise the anonymity of the finals voting.

Thanks.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bug in contest code led to "leak" of entries in a handful of pairs

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »