Thread poster: MK2010
MK2010
MK2010  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:15
French to English
+ ...
Feb 25, 2019

Has this ever happened to you: a job matches all your criteria and you want to submit your candidacy, but because there's a mistake in the listing, you're locked out. In this case, the job is clearly for the French-English pair, but the description mistakenly says you have to speak ...Albanian!

I feel like this is not the first time I've seen these types of mistakes. Doesn't ProZ read all the postings that go up?

Armine Abelyan
Josephine Cassar
Eleftheria Chrysochoou
Thayenga

Armine Abelyan
Armine Abelyan
Armenia
Local time: 15:15
English to Armenian
+ ...
Yes, happens Feb 25, 2019

Yes, it is happening to me, sometime I am thinking because I keep two profiles - as freelancer and as agency, may be due o that ? but I am not really sure

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Accuracy of information ultimately the responsibility of the poster Feb 25, 2019

I have noticed such things as well over the years. Ideally, someone from this site would flag such errors and notify the poster, but I do not think such an expectation realistic. In the end, the poster is responsible for the accuracy of the content of job posts.

In any event, in the case you mention, the poster would presumably become aware of the error rather quickly, since no one would meet the (mistakenly) imposed criteria.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 19:15
Chinese to English
+ ...
Nothing lost Feb 25, 2019

Doesn't ProZ read all the postings that go up?

No, why would they? There are more than a hundred postings each day that can occur at any hour of the day.

Like any other job that you don't get on the job board, it's not worth spending five seconds thinking about.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:15
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Support request? Feb 25, 2019

MK2010 wrote:
Has this ever happened to you: a job matches all your criteria and you want to submit your candidacy, but because there's a mistake in the listing, you're locked out. In this case, the job is clearly for the French-English pair, but the description mistakenly says you have to speak ...Albanian!

It's always worth submitting a support request when that happens (and yes, it does from time to time). I suspect that if you submit the request from the job page itself it gets priority as I've had some pretty fast responses.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

MK2010
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I was going to... Feb 25, 2019

Sheila Wilson wrote:

MK2010 wrote:

It's always worth submitting a support request when that happens (and yes, it does from time to time). I suspect that if you submit the request from the job page itself it gets priority as I've had some pretty fast responses.

...and then I sort of got lost on the site and decided to mention it here instead.

@Lincoln: Actually, I'm not sure it's unreasonable to think that someone from the ProZ team would be in charge of going over job postings. Once in a while you do see something interesting on here that seems worth pursuing so it's a shame when you can't.

[Edited at 2019-02-25 16:37 GMT]

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Système D Feb 25, 2019

I wonder if you would suddenly be able to see it if you went into your profile and changed yourself temporarily into a native speaker of Albanian.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
Chinese to English
If what you described was an actual case, Feb 25, 2019

MK2010 wrote:

I feel like this is not the first time I've seen these types of mistakes. Doesn't ProZ read all the postings that go up?

I guess every translator in the French-English pair could have been locked out. The job poster may realize his or her error and fix it momentarily. If this is an issue at all, it will resolve itself pretty soon.

So there is nothing to worry about.

[Edited at 2019-02-26 00:18 GMT]

MK2010
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I actually thought about that... Feb 26, 2019

Jessica Noyes wrote:

I wonder if you would suddenly be able to see it if you went into your profile and changed yourself temporarily into a native speaker of Albanian.

...then decided not to!

MK2010
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One would think Feb 26, 2019

jyuan_us wrote:

MK2010 wrote:

I guess every translator in the French-English pair could have been locked out. The job poster may realize his or her error and fix it momentarily. If this is an issue at all, it will resolve itself pretty soon.

So there is nothing to worry about.

[Edited at 2019-02-26 00:18 GMT]

Yes, presumably these issues, which are probably due to a copy-paste gone wrong, would resolve themselves. Anyway, the job's closed now so I guess we'll never know.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:15
French to English
yes you can! Feb 26, 2019

Jessica Noyes wrote:

I once saw a job posting that I didn't qualify for, because of the subject matter not being listed as a speciality. I had done a fair number of translations in that field though, so I added that subject (I had to delete something else since I have the maximum number of subjects).
I wouldn't do that for my native language though, just in case I forgot to change it back.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mistakes in job postings

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »