Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
What is meant by 'Professional Members'? (staff: job post member-only restriction message, updated)
Thread poster: writeaway
writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Sep 25, 2018

I have recently noticed this announcement attached to many job postings:

This job is restricted to
ProZ.com professional and business members.

I realize that business members usually means agencies or other outsourcers, but what is meant by 'professional members'?
Would someone from the powers that be please clarify exactly what is meant by 'professional members'.
TIA

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2018-10-04 14:0
... See more
I have recently noticed this announcement attached to many job postings:

This job is restricted to
ProZ.com professional and business members.

I realize that business members usually means agencies or other outsourcers, but what is meant by 'professional members'?
Would someone from the powers that be please clarify exactly what is meant by 'professional members'.
TIA

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2018-10-04 14:06 GMT]
Collapse

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:56
English to Italian
"Professional" as in "having a particular profession as a permanent career" Sep 25, 2018

Not one of the bosses, but I think here it's just meant as per subject, and to differentiate it from "business members" (rather than as a distinction from "unprofessional non members"...).

Christel Zipfel

writeaway
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"unprofessional non members" ? Sep 25, 2018

Grazie mille.
Unprofessional???!! You've just insulted thousands of full time, highly experienced professional translators still on this site who currently aren't paying.

Balvir Chand
Amanda Trisia

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Sadly not Sep 25, 2018

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

I think here it's just meant as per subject, and to differentiate it from "business members" (rather than as a distinction from "unprofessional non members"...).

If you go to a job posting with one of these restrictions, you can click on the wording "ProZ.com professional and business members" where it says "This job is restricted to ProZ.com professional and business members", and it will take you to a page where you can sign up for paid membership.

Professional=Paying. Sadly.

writeaway
Germaine
sdvplatt

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
No, I didn't... Sep 25, 2018

writeaway wrote:

Grazie mille.
Unprofessional???!! You've just insulted thousands of full time, highly experienced professional translators still on this site who currently aren't paying.

Really? I just said I thought that was NOT what the wording meant, as I guessed that was what you were taking issue with...

Considering I'm not exactly new on these fora and we've been reading each other's posts for quite a while, I am quite surprised you would even think, let alone write, something like that...

Thomas T. Frost

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
Right Sep 25, 2018

Fiona Grace Peterson wrote:

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

I think here it's just meant as per subject, and to differentiate it from "business members" (rather than as a distinction from "unprofessional non members"...).

If you go to a job posting with one of these restrictions, you can click on the wording "ProZ.com professional and business members" where it says "This job is restricted to ProZ.com professional and business members", and it will take you to a page where you can sign up for paid membership.

Professional=Paying. Sadly.

True, but I'd say it's more "member"=paying than "professional"=paying. To be honest, I've always thought everyone in a "community" (that's what proz still calls itself, right?) is a "member", but sadly here we know there's a distinction between "non members", "members" and "members+" solely based on $ and regardless of individual contributions made by each of those "users" to the "community"...

writeaway
Rachel Fell
P.L.F. Persio
Yvonne Gallagher

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: A reply to a post which was removed in line with site rules.
José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:56
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Members vs. users Sep 25, 2018

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

True, but I'd say it's more "member"=paying than "professional"=paying. To be honest, I've always thought everyone in a "community" (that's what proz still calls itself, right?) is a "member", but sadly here we know there's a distinction between "non members", "members" and "members+" solely based on $ and regardless of individual contributions made by each of those "users" to the "community"...

The concept of (paid) members vs. (free) users seems pretty clear to me.

Paid members have made an inve$tment in Proz, by paying a subscription. They are stakeholders. If Proz suddenly shut down while their subscription hasn't expired yet, they'll have lost money.

Free users simply use the features that are given for free. They hardly have a stake in Proz. If Proz shut down, they'd move elsewhere, having lost nothing material.

The choice is not a matter of being a professional translator or otherwise (viz. amateur). I think the emphasis is on (paying) "members", which may be of two types: professionals (i.e. people who provide translation services) and corporate (i.e. businesses that provide/resell the same services). An analogy would be individual doctors, physicians, surgeons etc. vs. clinics or hospitals.

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
Community Sep 25, 2018

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

The concept of (paid) members vs. (free) users seems pretty clear to me.

Paid members have made an inve$tment in Proz, by paying a subscription. They are stakeholders. If Proz suddenly shut down while their subscription hasn't expired yet, they'll have lost money.

Free users simply use the features that are given for free. They hardly have a stake in Proz. If Proz shut down, they'd move elsewhere, having lost nothing material.

Not really. You yourself were a paying member (and wrote in a recent post you could become one again under certain circumstances). All the time and effort invested in your profile (profile, WWAs, posts, kudoz, articles, seminars, etc. etc.) would be lost "if proz shut down", whether you are a paying or non paying "user". That's goodwill in both cases.

At any rate, again... in a "community" there aren't "users" and "members", just "members". Then a more apt (and IMHO conceptually fair) distinction would be between "paying" and "non-paying" members.

The choice is not a matter of being a professional translator or otherwise (viz. amateur). I think the emphasis is on (paying) "members", which may be of two types: professionals (i.e. people who provide translation services) and corporate (i.e. businesses that provide/resell the same services). An analogy would be individual doctors, physicians, surgeons etc. vs. clinics or hospitals.

That's what I said...

writeaway
Rachel Fell
Germaine
B D Finch

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: A reply to a post which was removed in line with site rules.
writeaway
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This was exactly the way Proz used to be. A community of members Sep 25, 2018

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

At any rate, again... in a "community" there aren't "users" and "members", just "members". Then a more apt (and IMHO conceptually fair) distinction would be between "paying" and "non-paying" members.

Once upon a time we were all members. Those who paid (and I was one of them) were called Platinum members to distinguish them from members who didn't pay. But we were a community and no member really cared who paid and who didn't. Lots of people who used to be on the site and never paid were actually some of the best translators among us. And many of them didn't show up on the site with their real names or with mug shots.

Germaine
Ivana UK
P.L.F. Persio
Mirko Mainardi
B D Finch
Tradupro17
sdvplatt

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Meant to differentiate between individual and business memberships Sep 25, 2018

Hi all,

The idea was to differentiate between membership for individuals and membership for businesses. It would probably make it clearer to add in the term "paying", or simply say something like This job is restricted to ProZ.com paying members.

Jared

writeaway
Angie Garbarino

Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:56
English to French
+ ...
Then... Sep 25, 2018

Jared Tabor wrote:

Hi all,

The idea was to differentiate between membership for individuals and membership for businesses. It would probably make it clearer to add in the term "paying", or simply say something like This job is restricted to ProZ.com paying members.

Jared

...if this is the real idea, why not use the same language there:
https://www.proz.com/professional-membership ?

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
The landing page for paying membership Sep 25, 2018

Germaine wrote:

...if this is the real idea, why not use the same language there:
https://www.proz.com/professional-membership ?

It's possible, though on the page dedicated to showcasing and selling paying membership I think the potential for the kind of confusion writeaway mentions here is lower, and the use of the word "professional" is intentional, in that they are membership packages intended for professionals.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is meant by 'Professional Members'? (staff: job post member-only restriction message, updated)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »