Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
What is meant by 'Professional Members'? (staff: job post member-only restriction message, updated)
Thread poster: writeaway
NhaDo
NhaDo
Australia
English to Vietnamese
Professional and paraprofessional translator Oct 6, 2018

According to the National Authority for Accreditation of Translators and Interpreters, the only Australian agency to provide the translators and interpreters with a qualification as professional (Level III NAATI) or para-professional (NAATI level II). At the level III, you are qualified to translate legal, medico-legal documents, with your seal affixed to the translated version of the source documents, such as Certificates of Marriage, Births, Deaths, so on, which can be used to support the app... See more
According to the National Authority for Accreditation of Translators and Interpreters, the only Australian agency to provide the translators and interpreters with a qualification as professional (Level III NAATI) or para-professional (NAATI level II). At the level III, you are qualified to translate legal, medico-legal documents, with your seal affixed to the translated version of the source documents, such as Certificates of Marriage, Births, Deaths, so on, which can be used to support the application for migration or citizenship. As a professional translator, you are deemed eligible to work for court cases. This can't be generalized as I can see a lot of paraprofessional interpreters work in hospitals, clinics, insurance, sometimes without a NAATI certificates provided that they have at least a NAATI translation one. The Australian NAATI requires that any translator qualified after 2004 must revalidate their qualification every year or so, and to do so, they must prove that they have translated about 40,000 words (to be confirmed with NAATI), or at least attended a revalidation course. Those who have qualified before this year do not have to.
Thus, I do not know what the background of the story is when a request for a professional translator is made. So I don't know if this request is based on the information which I have just presented above. From my understanding, a professional interpreter or translator at a NAATI level III does not necessarily cover any category of translation or interpreting areas, in diverse fields of profession, or expertise, but rather specialize in certain areas with which they have great familiarity. I am aware that few interpreters prefer to work in the courts of justice or tribunals. They do not like to do so because they tend to take more responsibility than normal, as their voices are recorded and reviewed if necessary. The barristers of both sides may have their arguments convoluted and hard to interpret. In medical, legal, financial and technological terms, many terms have not been universally acceptable in some languages, especially where there is no Academy nor dictionaries to include all the terms used by different cultural or subcultural groups. The translator needs to define who their target group is so they can choose the right words.

In short, I think we need to find out what the user of the term 'professional' wants to say when they use it. Thus you can't draw a conclusion until you know what they mean. For me, I think that the ordering client may want to ask for someone who needs to be familiar with the area of concern to their documents for translation, and the bilingual skills and techniques to make this happen. Qualification and experience in translation technique coupled with in-depth understanding of the contents of the source document and target language should be what the client expects. Other than this, I don't think that the term would be correctly used or relevant, like an equivalent 'paid' vs 'non-paid', 'member vs 'non-member'.
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This job was posted by a professional member. Note: This job is restricted to members only. Join Oct 11, 2018

Hi again.
I just saw this today on a job posting. Shouldn't professional member be paying member in this case too? And aren't all of us who sign up/register on Proz members? The distinction being that some people are paying members and others are not. That was the approach in the past, for instance when payers were referred to as platinum members and non-payers were just members.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 07:55
SITE STAFF
May need clarification or updating in different areas Oct 11, 2018

Hi writeaway,

writeaway wrote:

And aren't all of us who sign up/register on Proz members? The distinction being that some people are paying members and others are not. That was the approach in the past, for instance when payers were referred to as platinum members and non-payers were just members.

The terminology that has been in use since at least 2006 has been "user" and "member": https://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/591/1/ProZ.com-site-glossary . A user is anyone who uses ProZ.com, and a member is anyone with a paid membership subscription. When mention of membership or features which are "member-only" are shown on the site in different messages, these are generally accompanied by the blue ribbon used to signify membership in the case of membership for freelancers, or the ribbons used to represent Business membership for agencies/companies, where applicable). "Non-member" has also been used to refer to site users who do not currently have membership.

Since this is still a source of confusion in some cases, I'm having a look at how the terms are being used in different areas in order to clarify or update them accordingly.

Jared

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is meant by 'Professional Members'? (staff: job post member-only restriction message, updated)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »