Maintain source formatting in historical text translation?
Thread poster: Sarah Schneider
Sarah Schneider
Sarah Schneider  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:45
Member (2015)
Italian to English
Jul 21, 2020

I'm reviewing an IT>EN translation of a book written in the early 1900s. The translation has tried to respect the line breaks of the original book (which I think was in a rather small format) but this ruins the flow of reading it and seems rather awkward. I do not have much experience with historical texts, so I'm wondering if I can simply reformat the paragraphs to fill the whole page (left to right margins) instead of breaking every 8-10 words or so? Are there certain rules
To respect wh
... See more
I'm reviewing an IT>EN translation of a book written in the early 1900s. The translation has tried to respect the line breaks of the original book (which I think was in a rather small format) but this ruins the flow of reading it and seems rather awkward. I do not have much experience with historical texts, so I'm wondering if I can simply reformat the paragraphs to fill the whole page (left to right margins) instead of breaking every 8-10 words or so? Are there certain rules
To respect when translating historical texts?
Any advice? Thanks in advance!
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:45
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Sarah Jul 21, 2020

Sarah Schneider wrote:
The translation has tried to respect the line breaks of the original book...

If it is a client requirement that the translation uses the same number of characters per line as the original, then that is fine, but it is something that must be done at the very end of the process. During the initial translation process, there is no need to add such line breaks, and it may be easier for revisers to review it if it doesn't use those line breaks. Does the translator expect of you to reformat your edited version also, so that the number of characters per line are respected in the version that you deliver to the translator, or is it the translator's task to ensure that the lines are formatted correctly in the final version?

Tina Vonhof (X)

Sarah Schneider
Sarah Schneider  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:45
Member (2015)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
No client requirements Jul 21, 2020

Hi Samuel and thanks for your response.

The translation was done line for line, which certainly has made it easier for me to revise the work. But the end client is mostly using this translation of a 120 year old book for personal use and isn't sure whether to have the final translation correspond line by line to the original book (having no knowledge whatsoever of the source language) or to have it flow more smoothly and read like an actual book. I'm opting towards the second and po
... See more
Hi Samuel and thanks for your response.

The translation was done line for line, which certainly has made it easier for me to revise the work. But the end client is mostly using this translation of a 120 year old book for personal use and isn't sure whether to have the final translation correspond line by line to the original book (having no knowledge whatsoever of the source language) or to have it flow more smoothly and read like an actual book. I'm opting towards the second and posted here because I have no idea what the standard practice is for these types of translations.
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:45
French to English
. Jul 23, 2020

Sarah Schneider wrote:
(client) isn't sure whether to have the final translation correspond line by line to the original book (having no knowledge whatsoever of the source language) or to have it flow more smoothly and read like an actual book.

I'm really not sure what having the translation correspond line by line would achieve if the client can't even compare with the original. I'm pretty sure the translation would be incredibly stilted if you had to do that.

Show him a couple of pages with the line-by-line presentation, and the same but written normally, he'll soon understand what he wants, because your smooth prose will be irresistible!

If he's aiming to write an analysis of this work, he might just need to be able to refer to the page number of the original, in which case you might try to keep to a page-by-page layout, but line-by-line would be exhausting to have to stick to.

Christine Andersen
Sarah Schneider

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Maintain source formatting in historical text translation?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »