conejo
conejo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:01
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Irene #2: Nov 1, 2007

Are you saying that you outsourced to someone who was ATA certified and had problems? Or the problems just came from people who were in the ATA directory, but were not certified?

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 02:01
English to Russian
+ ...
It's been too long ago Nov 2, 2007

conejo wrote:

Are you saying that you outsourced to someone who was ATA certified and had problems? Or the problems just came from people who were in the ATA directory, but were not certified?

I really can't remember the details. All I know that in our world relying on any papers without word-of-mouth, serious confirmed history or thorough testing was, is and always will be suicidal. ATA is no ticket to free ride in my outsourcing department.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Cat out of the bag Nov 2, 2007

conejo wrote:

It happens, I guess. I revised someone with the certificate who turned out to be working in their inverse...

Probably a case of beginners'-panic-better-get-that-certificate-better-not-say-no... in the end, it's still a Russian roulette.

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:01
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Inverse translation? Nov 5, 2007

Parrot wrote:
It happens, I guess. I revised someone with the certificate who turned out to be working in their inverse...

ATA certifications are for a specific language pair. For example, if the person was certified only for French>English work but was doing an English>French job, then you were not working with a certified translator for the purposes of that project.

Elisa Edwards
Elisa Edwards
Brazil
Local time: 03:01
A translator agency is requiring an ATA Certification now! Dec 24, 2015

Hi all,

A translator agency that I've been working for in the last five years now requires me to have an ATA Certification or equivalent.

I just don't know what to do since the next ATA exam will happen in Chile in March 19th and I live in Brazil. Also ATA rates are very very expensive for me at this moment.

Could you please tell me what should I do?
... See more
Hi all,

A translator agency that I've been working for in the last five years now requires me to have an ATA Certification or equivalent.

I just don't know what to do since the next ATA exam will happen in Chile in March 19th and I live in Brazil. Also ATA rates are very very expensive for me at this moment.

Could you please tell me what should I do?

Thanks,
Shanna
[email protected]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is ATA certification worth it?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »