Steps to Improve towards a Specialty? (Japanese to English)
Thread poster: Michael Blaskowsky
Michael Blaskowsky
Michael Blaskowsky  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:23
Member (2018)
Japanese to English
Apr 24, 2020

I've been translating for over four years now and really enjoy the profession and work. I'm at a point where I've worked a fair amount of different subject matters and have developed a good process that creates high-quality work, but want to take the next steps towards defining and creating a name for myself in specific fields, particularly gaming and literature. I've done work in both and really would love for them to constitute the majority of my work. I know that they are the two fields that ... See more
I've been translating for over four years now and really enjoy the profession and work. I'm at a point where I've worked a fair amount of different subject matters and have developed a good process that creates high-quality work, but want to take the next steps towards defining and creating a name for myself in specific fields, particularly gaming and literature. I've done work in both and really would love for them to constitute the majority of my work. I know that they are the two fields that EVERYONE wants to work in, but I'd still like to work towards those goals.

Specifically with Japanese to English, does anyone have any recommendations on steps to take to help obtain more gaming and literature work? I've been following the posting enough to know that those types of jobs do not pop up that often, so I want to be more proactive. Here are some ideas I've had.

- Try my hand at competitions
- Join professional J>E translator organizations
- Find work I would like to translate and approach publishers/developers independently
- Japanese literature courses (don't have the funds for a translation degree)

Any thoughts on those ideas? Anyone with experience with any of the above that would suggest an organization, etc. that they would recommend? Any other ideas I should pursue?

I'm in a good place with work volume, so I can take my time, but I would like to start putting more effort towards a specialization.

Thank you and I greatly appreciate any and all thoughts.
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:23
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Steps Apr 24, 2020

Michael Blaskowsky wrote:
- Try my hand at competitions
- Join professional J>E translator organizations
- Find work I would like to translate and approach publishers/developers independently
- Japanese literature courses (don't have the funds for a translation degree)
Any thoughts on those ideas?

Having no direct interest or experience in either field, I can't really comment on how to achieve success in them. Literature is supposedly, and notoriously, very poorly paid, but you are aware of that already I suppose, and are prepared to accept a lower income in return for the satisfaction the work offers. I mean, there must be decent pay in that field somewhere, but probably only for big names like Murakami Haruki.

Points 1 to 2 above look sensible to me. You have nothing to lose by trying your hand at competitions other than a little time and ego. As for point 2, viewed from afar, the ATA seems to be a hidebound and old-fashioned organisation (still not allowed to use electronic dictionaries in exams, apparently?) with little to recommend it, and the needs of its corporate members would appear to frequently be working in opposition to the needs of its freelance members. But it may well be worth joining if only for contact with other translators. Meeting people in real life is usually enjoyable, and sometimes illuminating, reassuring and encouraging.

As for the third point, why not? If you're already reading tons of Japanese literature - which I think would be a prerequisite? - then just choose something you like (and that has sold well or gained a lot of attention in Japan), translate a few pages, and see how it goes. If you think it's good, perhaps then send it off with a good cover letter in Japanese to the publisher.

Gaming - I have even less idea, sorry. I have met a couple of game translators, but I have no idea how to get in there. I'd imagine you have found that revenue flows are quite lumpy. Also strikes me that the language used in games and anime is often so idiomatic that you'd need to be keeping tabs on the constantly shifting tides of popular Japanese, so being in the US might be a disadvantage to some extent (though less so than 20 years ago). And if you're in Seattle, why not bung a CV in the direction of Nintendo?

Incidentally, while naming the games in your CV makes sense, I don't see the point in baldly listing three jobs in the "legal" category unless you flesh those out a bit. For example, something like "20,000-character leasing agreement for Tokyo law firm, completed under significant time pressure and to the satisfaction of the client" gives a more persuasive idea of what you have actually done, and can do, without endangering confidentiality.

Hopefully somebody with first-hand experience in these fields will be along soon.

Regards,
Dan

Aline Amorim

Becca Resnik
Becca Resnik  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:23
German to English
+ ...
They're *inching* into the digital age Apr 24, 2020

As for point 2, viewed from afar, the ATA seems to be a hidebound and old-fashioned organisation (still not allowed to use electronic dictionaries in exams, apparently?)

Sometime recently (I think within the last year or two?), they've finally decided to have computerized versions at "select sittings," where you can use your own laptop. But no CAT, no forums/chat/rooms/etc., spelling and grammar check must be disabled, one screen up at a time, etc.

https://www.atanet.org/certification/aboutexams_computerized.php

Dan Lucas

Michael Blaskowsky
Michael Blaskowsky  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:23
Member (2018)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Cheers Apr 25, 2020

Thank you Dan, for the thoughts and I'm always glad to hear other people's opinions.

Also, thank you very much for the points on the resume. I've been feeling that I need to strengthen it up and don't feel that "Client A", etc. is all that compelling from a prospective client's point of view, but wanted to show that I had indeed worked in those fields (in good demand, pays well, and quality work wins repeat business). I'll give it another review with some more details that I can pr
... See more
Thank you Dan, for the thoughts and I'm always glad to hear other people's opinions.

Also, thank you very much for the points on the resume. I've been feeling that I need to strengthen it up and don't feel that "Client A", etc. is all that compelling from a prospective client's point of view, but wanted to show that I had indeed worked in those fields (in good demand, pays well, and quality work wins repeat business). I'll give it another review with some more details that I can provide.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Steps to Improve towards a Specialty? (Japanese to English)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »