Marion Lambert-Nuding
Marion Lambert-Nuding  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:16
English to French
+ ...
Jan 22, 2016

Hi All,

I've been translating on a freelance basis for 5 years. I know what it's like to find your own clients and to go from stupidly busy to scaringly quiet, and I guess selling interpreting services isn't going to be that different. Whilst I have no problem with the idea of running my own freelance business, I don't want to be flogging a dead horse, so I thought I'd seek a little advice from the guys who have done a DPSI already....

I'm thinking of spending next year
... See more
Hi All,

I've been translating on a freelance basis for 5 years. I know what it's like to find your own clients and to go from stupidly busy to scaringly quiet, and I guess selling interpreting services isn't going to be that different. Whilst I have no problem with the idea of running my own freelance business, I don't want to be flogging a dead horse, so I thought I'd seek a little advice from the guys who have done a DPSI already....

I'm thinking of spending next year studying at London Met Uni to take the DPSI Law in French, but....

- Law: I heard Court Interpreters were struggling to get a decent rate of pay recently, leading to a boycot of the main agency appointed by government tender. Yet, having walked past a massive sign asking for volunteer interpreters in our local hospital not long ago, I'm guessing the Health option is no better....?

- French: On top of this, whilst I understand people with slightly more exotic backgrounds might need the services of an interpreter in court, a lot of British people have a basic grasp of french and vice versa. So, would my language combination be of any use ?

Any experience or opinion would be very much appreciated....

Thanks!

[Edited at 2016-01-22 17:05 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DPSI Law French. Is it worth it ?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »