Giuseppe Amodio
Giuseppe Amodio  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:02
Italian to English
+ ...
Nov 20, 2015

Hi Everyone,

I have recently completed a course on Italian contract, company, business, property and family Law. It was aimed at translators and was extremelly useful.

I am looking for something similar about Common Law (possibly English Law). Ideally a course that teaches the fundamentals of Law from a translator's perspective.

Does anyone know who provides them.

It has to be distance learning or very quick. I am based in Italy.

... See more
Hi Everyone,

I have recently completed a course on Italian contract, company, business, property and family Law. It was aimed at translators and was extremelly useful.

I am looking for something similar about Common Law (possibly English Law). Ideally a course that teaches the fundamentals of Law from a translator's perspective.

Does anyone know who provides them.

It has to be distance learning or very quick. I am based in Italy.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks.
Collapse

Karen Stokes
Karen Stokes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:02
Member (2003)
French to English
University of London on Coursera Nov 20, 2015

You could try Adam Gearey's course (University of London) on Coursera https://www.coursera.org/course/engcomlaw – no dates scheduled at the moment but you can add it to a watchlist. More a general background than specifically geared to translation, but interesting nonetheless.

Alena Trainova
Alena Trainova  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 23:02
English to Russian
David Hutchins, Lexacom English Law courses Nov 21, 2015

Hi,

I agree with Karen, the Coursera's Common Law is a brilliant course.

I, indeed, found it very helpful and enjoyable and it helped me to get a bigger picture of the English legal system, even after a few years as an in-house translator at a London law firm.

May I also suggest Lexacom Legal (http://www.lexacomlegal.com/david-hutchins/) by solicitor D
... See more
Hi,

I agree with Karen, the Coursera's Common Law is a brilliant course.

I, indeed, found it very helpful and enjoyable and it helped me to get a bigger picture of the English legal system, even after a few years as an in-house translator at a London law firm.

May I also suggest Lexacom Legal (http://www.lexacomlegal.com/david-hutchins/) by solicitor David Hutchins. As far as I am aware, apart from classroom-based courses held in London and in other European cities, David also offers one-on-one skype sessions.

I attended three of his courses and found them exceptional with another added benefit that they are aimed at translators.
Collapse

Giuseppe Amodio
Giuseppe Amodio  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:02
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
problem access lexacomlegal Nov 22, 2015

Hi Karen and Alena,

thank you for your advice.

I have already contacted coursera.

As for lexacomlegal, there website is not working. Is it my pc or their website?
I get a "database error" blank page with only one message, "Error establishing a database connection".

Can you access it?

Alice Crisan
Alice Crisan  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Romanian
+ ...
David Hutchins Nov 22, 2015

Try to Google eCPD webinars David Hutchins. Interesting courses, loved it. Go for it.
For the Coursera be prepared for a quite difficult final exam, but not impossible. Allow yourself plenty of time and have your materials handy. Great course!

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

"Understanding the Law" by Geoffrey Rivlin Nov 23, 2015

Since you're interested in English law, I highly recommend this book.

It is well written, most importantly, easy to read, and I read it with a lot of fun.

A brief summary of the book is shown here.
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/03069400.2012.732398?journalCode=ralt20

Enjoy reading! (Before you m
... See more
Since you're interested in English law, I highly recommend this book.

It is well written, most importantly, easy to read, and I read it with a lot of fun.

A brief summary of the book is shown here.
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/03069400.2012.732398?journalCode=ralt20

Enjoy reading! (Before you manage to join an online course.)

David
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Common Law course

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »