Marcus Scott
Marcus Scott  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:06
Chinese to English
+ ...
Sep 16, 2015

Good day, all!

There is a student at my alma mater who's trying to do a translation project for her Japanese course in conjunction with her chemistry thesis. She passed the JLPT N3 with an 80% and is apparently doing rather well in her Japanese language courses. She would like to translate something from Japanese into English that is technical and concerns chemistry (in particular, something related to micelles, which is a part of her thesis's subject), but she also states that she
... See more
Good day, all!

There is a student at my alma mater who's trying to do a translation project for her Japanese course in conjunction with her chemistry thesis. She passed the JLPT N3 with an 80% and is apparently doing rather well in her Japanese language courses. She would like to translate something from Japanese into English that is technical and concerns chemistry (in particular, something related to micelles, which is a part of her thesis's subject), but she also states that she can be flexible with the topic, so long as it's science-based and fairly technical. However, there are certain difficulties arising from her attempts since, 1) As many of you already know, many technical documents, regardless of the language used to write them, are extremely technical and may be above the level of someone who gets most of their foreign language knowledge for course books and class assignment alone, and 2) sometimes finding information on these things, especially in the vast realm of cyberspace, is often like trying to find a salt shaker in a snowstorm. I come to you then, hoping that there is someone, specifically a Japanese>English translator well-versed in the subject of chemistry, who can perhaps point me in the right direction towards Japanese text on micelles or general science that would be sufficiently technical, but not overwhelming. I myself have been trying to find as much, with varying degrees of success. At the very least, anything of basic relation to science written in Japanese would be great! She seems to have an interest in the translation field, and so I want to encourage her, but am hoping a translator wiser and more experienced than I can give some insight. Thank you in advance!

Best Regards,

Marcus Scott
Collapse

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 09:06
German to Turkish
+ ...
High school books? Sep 18, 2015

I have written a reply earlier this day, but maybe I forgot to press the button

I am a chemist and a translator. In fact, I changed my whole career just because I want to translate
And now, I am happily translating technical documents in chemistry and related fields.

I am not a Japanese translator, but from my translation experienc
... See more
I have written a reply earlier this day, but maybe I forgot to press the button

I am a chemist and a translator. In fact, I changed my whole career just because I want to translate
And now, I am happily translating technical documents in chemistry and related fields.

I am not a Japanese translator, but from my translation experience in Turkish-English-German (3 languages with characteristic technical writing styles - especially the case with German), I can tell few general things.

I assume that she is a chemist and that she is native in English.

In translating technical texts, background knowledge is very important. As she already has a formal education, she can turn to high school chemistry books. These texts are of similar format and they cover the same subjects.

General scientific journals/magazines are another good source to begin with. Most websites (plus Wikipedia) are multilingual and one can have an idea by exploring them.

Another very good source is reference scientific journals in Japanese. I assume that most of them have abstract parts in English and comparing both abstracts may help.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Japanese/Chem Major Requesting Advice on Technical Articles

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »