Thread poster: Silke Harvey
Silke Harvey
Silke Harvey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:50
German to English
Dec 5, 2014

Hi,

I have been translating for many years and am now thinking about expanding into interpreting as well as voice-overing. However, when googling on the internet, I have come across a host of contradicting or vague information on how to get started in both of these businesses. Some say you will need a diploma, others say no, just get some work in, unpaid if necessary, to gain experience and advertise yourself on your merit alone... Could someone with experience in these fields give
... See more
Hi,

I have been translating for many years and am now thinking about expanding into interpreting as well as voice-overing. However, when googling on the internet, I have come across a host of contradicting or vague information on how to get started in both of these businesses. Some say you will need a diploma, others say no, just get some work in, unpaid if necessary, to gain experience and advertise yourself on your merit alone... Could someone with experience in these fields give me a few pointers in the right direction?

Any help is much appreciated,

Silke
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting started as an interpreter and/or voice over translator/artist

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »