Online Russian-English translation programs/courses
Thread poster: DARKastheRAIN
Nov 8, 2014

I've been looking for a quality affordable online translation program (Russian-English), but am having trouble finding one. I thought this one from the City of London University looked promising: http://www.city.ac.uk/courses/cpd/institute-of-linguists-educational-trust-iolet-diploma-in-translation-module-1 But then I realise... See more
I've been looking for a quality affordable online translation program (Russian-English), but am having trouble finding one. I thought this one from the City of London University looked promising: http://www.city.ac.uk/courses/cpd/institute-of-linguists-educational-trust-iolet-diploma-in-translation-module-1 But then I realised it's aimed at preparing the student for a certification exam that doesn't even seem to be available in the US. Would there be much point in taking those courses without following up with the dipTrans exam?

If not, are there any better programs that wouldn't end up costing more than a couple thousand dollars? The only thing I've been able to find other than dipTrans preparatory courses are masters certificates/degrees that I'd be happy to go for except for the fact that they'd end up costing more than I can afford right now.

If it's relevant, I've got a Bachellor of Science degree, but it's in Chemistry, not in Russian or translation.
Collapse

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:31
Russian to English
+ ...
The University of Sheffield Nov 8, 2014

has advanced Russian Study programs (graduate and post graduate), but you would have to check if they have any of them online.

[Edited at 2014-11-08 09:38 GMT]

The Misha
The Misha
Russian to English
+ ...
How's your Russian? How's your English writing skills? Nov 8, 2014

If they aren't good enough, a translation course (whatever that is) will not make them any better. If they are, it won't add anything to them that you can't figure out by yourself. In fact, it won't teach you much of anything that will help you do specific jobs in real life in your area of expertise (which, I assume, is chemistry and the like). I said it before, and I'll never tire of saying it again: ours is a craft, and you learn a craft by doing, not by reading semi-coherent drivel produced b... See more
If they aren't good enough, a translation course (whatever that is) will not make them any better. If they are, it won't add anything to them that you can't figure out by yourself. In fact, it won't teach you much of anything that will help you do specific jobs in real life in your area of expertise (which, I assume, is chemistry and the like). I said it before, and I'll never tire of saying it again: ours is a craft, and you learn a craft by doing, not by reading semi-coherent drivel produced by the academia.

Blessedly, translation in the US is an unregulated profession and no one cares much whether you have a degree or not. What they do care about is that you be able to do the job. Plus, you already have a degree. So now ask yourself: can you do the job?
Collapse

DARKastheRAIN
DARKastheRAIN
TOPIC STARTER
Online Russian-English translation programs/courses Nov 8, 2014

If they aren't good enough, a translation course (whatever that is) will not make them any better. If they are, it won't add anything to them that you can't figure out by yourself. In fact, it won't teach you much of anything that will help you do specific jobs in real life in your area of expertise (which, I assume, is chemistry and the like). I said it before, and I'll never tire of saying it again: ours is a craft, and you learn a craft by doing, not by reading semi-coherent drivel produced by the academia.

Thanks for your advice. The main reason I wanted to take a course was for instructor feedback on translation excercises. My English writing skills are good (according to my college professors, at least) and I think my reading comprehension in Russian is good (though I've still got work to do on vocabulary acquisition). The only snag is that I've never had official Russian training, only self-study. I was thinking that specifically translation geared courses would be more useful than just plain advanced Russian courses, or do you think the latter would be more helpful?

The Misha
The Misha
Russian to English
+ ...
I am not much into giving people advice, but... Nov 8, 2014

[quote]DARKastheRAIN wrote:

I was thinking that specifically translation geared courses would be more useful than just plain advanced Russian courses, or do you think the latter would be more helpful?

... they wouldn't. I'd say concentrate on your Russian. Start with reading professional literature related to your area of expertise, such as (I assume again) chemistry articles in Russian scientific journals (I am sure there's no shortage of those), or what not, and see what you can make of those. If you come across specific reading comprehension issues, feel free to send me a personal note. I'd be happy to help (except I don't do chemistry, I am afraid, or any technical stuff).

As to not having "formal" Russian training, no one gives a hoot. Just out of curiosity, what are you, a "legacy" Russian speaker?

DARKastheRAIN
DARKastheRAIN
TOPIC STARTER
Online Russian-English translation programs/courses Nov 9, 2014

Just out of curiosity, what are you, a "legacy" Russian speaker?

Nah, just a random half-American, half-South African who fell in love with the Russian language.

I'm assuming "legacy" Russian speaker means your parents or grandparents were Russian or something like that?

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Yes, I agree here with Misha. Nov 9, 2014

Long-term translation courses are sort of redundant. A 2-3 month course may teach you certain approaches, but longer than that--I do not see any sense in it myself. It might be wise to get a mentor, who would give you feedback on your translations.

I think language study programs are much more valuable, or beneficial.

[Edited at 2014-11-09 09:18 GMT]

The Misha
The Misha
Russian to English
+ ...
Yep, that's exactly what it is. Nov 9, 2014

I'm assuming "legacy" Russian speaker means your parents or grandparents were Russian or something like that?

Roman M
Roman M  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
just wondering Apr 30, 2015

What about the Monterrey Institute of International Studies?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Online Russian-English translation programs/courses

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »