Masters in Translation - do diploma afterwards?
Thread poster: jhglondon (X)
jhglondon (X)
jhglondon (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:23
French to English
+ ...
Sep 15, 2012

Hello,

I was wondering, if I do a masters in translation, do I still need to do the Diploma in Translation from the IoL afterwards? Or will the masters be sufficient to get me work and register as a professional translator?

Thank you

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:23
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
The Diploma in Translation from the IoL Sep 17, 2012

What is "the Diploma in Translation from the IoL"?

milinad
milinad  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:53
German to English
diploma after masters Sep 17, 2012

Normally Masters in any subject is higher level of qualification than diploma in the same subject. It would not be worth it unless the diploma is in specialized area of the subject e.g. diploma in Medical Translation.

David Hayes
David Hayes  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:23
French to English
same level, different focus Sep 17, 2012

The IoL diploma is considered to be the equivalent of a Master's (in terms of academic level). It is a practical qualification demonstrating the ability to produce high-quality translations of often difficult texts in a short space of time (2-3 hours) and in exam conditions (no internet). A Master's is a taught course guaranteeing that you've covered the theoretical aspects of translation. It also includes plenty of practical translation work. The IoL qualification presupposes, but does not prov... See more
The IoL diploma is considered to be the equivalent of a Master's (in terms of academic level). It is a practical qualification demonstrating the ability to produce high-quality translations of often difficult texts in a short space of time (2-3 hours) and in exam conditions (no internet). A Master's is a taught course guaranteeing that you've covered the theoretical aspects of translation. It also includes plenty of practical translation work. The IoL qualification presupposes, but does not provide any proof, that you have sufficient knowledge of translation theory to cope with producing professional translations.
Of course, a Master's is far more expensive than the IoL qualification (which itself is not cheap!). I have no experience of master's programmes in translation, but can vouch for the difficulty of the IoL papers (have been stuck at success in 2 out of 3 papers for two years now!).
Collapse

Aisha Maniar
Aisha Maniar  Identity Verified
Arabic to English
+ ...
IoL diploma vs master's degree Sep 17, 2012

While I agree with David's headline, I would not say that the diploma is equivalent to a master's degree, but rather that both are postgraduate qualifications.
For both the OP and Atil, here is more information about the IoL diploma: http://www.iol.org.uk/qualifications/exams_diptrans.asp
As you can see, under "recognition", the diploma grants exemptions when studying f
... See more
While I agree with David's headline, I would not say that the diploma is equivalent to a master's degree, but rather that both are postgraduate qualifications.
For both the OP and Atil, here is more information about the IoL diploma: http://www.iol.org.uk/qualifications/exams_diptrans.asp
As you can see, under "recognition", the diploma grants exemptions when studying for some MA courses in translation in the UK.
As far as I am aware, neither is a prerequisite for IoL membership, provided you have the necessary experience, if that is what you are after.
Qualifications are increasingly important and valued by outsourcers in this profession, and in my own opinion, a little bit of professional training is not harmful to anyone. You can also do both - an MA/MSc and the diploma - and you will also find that many master's courses allow students to drop their disseration and end their course after nine months with a PGDip instead.
It's probably best to see what suits your needs (shop around) - how you like to learn, what you want to learn and how, and what is most suitable to your own professional, financial, geographic and time constraints. There are courses to help with the diploma too and as David says, and I have heard, it is pretty tough too.
Final point: "registered as a professional translator" - in the UK, you can be a member of the IoL, ITI or indeed other foreign association but there is no concept of "registration" or "being certified".
I hope that helps, Aisha

[p.s. although you can be a registered (public service) interpreter, if that is what you mean]

[Edited at 2012-09-17 12:26 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Masters in Translation - do diploma afterwards?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »