MA Thesis idea - help
Thread poster: maksutov
maksutov
maksutov
Local time: 13:13
Sep 3, 2012

Hello,

I know there has been similar topics, but I felt a need to open another one.

I am to propose a topic for my MA thesis to my supervisors at the University. I have given it a lot of thought during the summer, but still, I would like you to give your oppinions.

I would like to focus on the use of CAT tools. Is there any creative idea you would like to share related to the increase of efficiency CAT tools bring? What type of the research would I have to
... See more
Hello,

I know there has been similar topics, but I felt a need to open another one.

I am to propose a topic for my MA thesis to my supervisors at the University. I have given it a lot of thought during the summer, but still, I would like you to give your oppinions.

I would like to focus on the use of CAT tools. Is there any creative idea you would like to share related to the increase of efficiency CAT tools bring? What type of the research would I have to conduct?

Any idea on this topic would do good at this point - it even doesn't have to be related to CAT tools.

Thanks.

Maksi
Collapse

Giulia Carletti
Giulia Carletti  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2012)
English to Italian
+ ...
brainstorm and read! Sep 3, 2012

Hi Maksi,
I actually can't help you with this topic because I am not familiar enough with it, but, in order to come up with a good idea, try to read as much literature as possible on CAT tools, so you know what's already been throughly discussed, and what is still to explore and research.
Then, try to think about something that really interests you, and probably your supervisors will help you to shape your inputs and thoughts into a coherent research.
Good luck!

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:13
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Agree with Giulia Sep 4, 2012

I'm afraid I don't know very much about CAT tools but I do agree with Guilia, here. I am working on my MA dissertation at the moment, although on quite a different subject - children's literature. My tutor advised me to read around the subject to see what research has already been done in the field and then identify where the gaps are. Perhaps your tutor might be able to suggest some key texts to start you off. Then look at the bibliographies in those texts for more suggestions. I found tha... See more
I'm afraid I don't know very much about CAT tools but I do agree with Guilia, here. I am working on my MA dissertation at the moment, although on quite a different subject - children's literature. My tutor advised me to read around the subject to see what research has already been done in the field and then identify where the gaps are. Perhaps your tutor might be able to suggest some key texts to start you off. Then look at the bibliographies in those texts for more suggestions. I found that the more I read, the more ideas I had, so that eventually I could choose the ones that interested me the most.

Regarding CAT tools, why not look at some of the discussions on this website where people post questions or requests for advice on different kinds of software? That may give you an idea of the kinds of issues encountered by practising translators.

Good luck!
Collapse

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 13:13
German to Swedish
+ ...
Bane Sep 4, 2012

CAT tools are the bane of good writing.
But there are many areas where good writing isn't needed.

CAT tools are an obstacle to understanding technical texts.
But there are many areas where understanding isn't needed.

CAT tools slow down fast writers.

MeeraK
MeeraK
Local time: 17:43
MA Thesis Sep 11, 2012

I have good news for you. You will easily develop idea for your MA Thesis after watching this video. It helped me - i thought to share. http://youtu.be/e9nh_IamYZM Cheers!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MA Thesis idea - help

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »