Any information on German-to-English distance learning courses for financial translation?
Thread poster: etoh
Aug 24, 2012

Hi there,

I'm a German-to-English translator interested in doing a distance learning course for financial texts - reports, accounting, business plans, etc. I've done some research and have found options from institutions/organisations based in Germany, but they have a snag - they require participants to translate into and out of both English and German.

Does anyone know of courses which allow people to translate into one language only? German isn't my native language,
... See more
Hi there,

I'm a German-to-English translator interested in doing a distance learning course for financial texts - reports, accounting, business plans, etc. I've done some research and have found options from institutions/organisations based in Germany, but they have a snag - they require participants to translate into and out of both English and German.

Does anyone know of courses which allow people to translate into one language only? German isn't my native language, so I'm just not comfortable with the prospect of doing coursework that requires me to translate into a foreign language regardless how familiar I am with it. The offers I've seen range from basic primers which take just a few months to more advanced options which take up to a year and a half: I'm open to all options.

Thanks in advance for any tips,
E
Collapse

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:51
German to English
Some ideas Aug 26, 2012

I think that NYU used to offer a distance-learning certificate in financial translation, or maybe it was a certificate in German translation with a financial translation element. I'm not sure that they still offer this course, but maybe it's something you could check out.

There is a financial-legal translation module in the Legal Translation MA at City University, London, which you can also take as a standalone CPD course. This is a mixture of distance and campus learning (I teach a
... See more
I think that NYU used to offer a distance-learning certificate in financial translation, or maybe it was a certificate in German translation with a financial translation element. I'm not sure that they still offer this course, but maybe it's something you could check out.

There is a financial-legal translation module in the Legal Translation MA at City University, London, which you can also take as a standalone CPD course. This is a mixture of distance and campus learning (I teach a lot of it myself). Details here (for this year's course; next year's will be in May): http://www.city.ac.uk/courses/cpd/financial-legal-translation

I'm not aware of any distance learning courses here in Germany, so if you've found some, perhaps you would care to share the details. But you're right with the "swing both ways" problem here in Germany, which unfortunately results in many German native speakers being convinced that they can translate competently into English (which is hardly ever the case). I'm also not aware of other on-site financial translation courses in Germany, apart from one- or two-days courses organised by associations.

Feel free to write to me privately.

Robin
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any information on German-to-English distance learning courses for financial translation?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »