DipTrans - British Council in Portugal - anyone did it?
Thread poster: Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Local time: 13:35
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Aug 6, 2012

I am planning about taking the DipTrans 2013 at the British Council in Portugal - so far I found out that the examination centre is in Coimbra, but any other information is extremely spare and even questions per phone and email are answered partially at best. All of this makes me rather weary to send them Entry card and fees (I have still no idea how much and where to send the fees, anyway).

I would like to know if anyone has taken the exam at Portugal's British Council. What were
... See more
I am planning about taking the DipTrans 2013 at the British Council in Portugal - so far I found out that the examination centre is in Coimbra, but any other information is extremely spare and even questions per phone and email are answered partially at best. All of this makes me rather weary to send them Entry card and fees (I have still no idea how much and where to send the fees, anyway).

I would like to know if anyone has taken the exam at Portugal's British Council. What were your experiences? I am planning to take the exam in EN-DE, and have been told that this is possible there. However, I have been told as well I could bring a personal laptop, which is obviously wrong - so I have no idea if I can even rely on any of the information they are giving me there. (People living in Portugal for some time already who ever had to deal with any authorities here will understand my reluctancy to trust any given information.)

If any person that took the exam here in Portugal can assure me that the guys here really know what they are doing, I might be less afraid of sending them my hard-earned money... I am even considering to book a flight to London rather than risking any "Sorry, but we have no idea what exam you're talking about" on examination day.

Kind regards
Anna Sarah
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dodgy business Aug 6, 2012

No, but If it's anything like their TEFL courses, in my opinion it would be a waste of time if you are already a working translator. I'd spend my money on something else.

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not the courses, the actual exam Aug 6, 2012

I wasn't asking about the courses they offer - as it happens, Portuguese British Council doesn't offer any translation courses this year. I was just interested, if people know of any issues with taking the exam there or if everything had been well organised.

Kind regards
Anna Sarah

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Registration letter Aug 6, 2012

I don't know anything about the BC in Portugal, but I know you have to get them to send you a letter to say you are registered to sit the exam at their centre (which you then forward to the IoL).

So, even if they don't know much about the exam, if they issue this letter, they will then be responsible for organising the sitting. If they don't do it properly, I'm sure you could complain to the IoL and get your money back (in the worst case scenario).

I took the exam at t
... See more
I don't know anything about the BC in Portugal, but I know you have to get them to send you a letter to say you are registered to sit the exam at their centre (which you then forward to the IoL).

So, even if they don't know much about the exam, if they issue this letter, they will then be responsible for organising the sitting. If they don't do it properly, I'm sure you could complain to the IoL and get your money back (in the worst case scenario).

I took the exam at the BC in Madrid last January and it was well organised, although the first person I contacted did say he was sure I would have Internet access (LOL). Anyway, I got my registration letter, I sent it on to the IoL and paid the IoL fee, and then paid the BC fee just a month before the exam.

I wouldn't advise flying to London. Can you imagine how much your dictionaries would weigh in your suitcase? Apart from paying for the extra weight on the plane, you might well end up with tendinitis/dislocated shoulder in the process
Collapse

Natalia Viana (X)
Natalia Viana (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:35
English to Portuguese
+ ...
British Council in Portugal Aug 6, 2012

Hi,

I can assure you that the BC of Lisbon is the best private language organization school. I took in 2009 the IELTS exam for academic purposes. Everything was very well prepared and organized, so you can trust it, for sure.
The Dip and the preparation of any sort is the same all over the world since they belong to the same organization.

Unfortunately they don't organize anymore the Trans Courses.

Natália Viana

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your input! Aug 7, 2012

After all, I took a different decision and will fly, but to Germany. With a good, solid suitcase on wheels, of course. That means I will be able to combine sitting the exam with visiting my family. Without tendinitis, I hope.

The person I contacted in Germany was very helpful with explaining me the procedures and I must say that his response inspired more confidence than any of the communications I had with Lisbon's British Council.

Call me picky, but with something th
... See more
After all, I took a different decision and will fly, but to Germany. With a good, solid suitcase on wheels, of course. That means I will be able to combine sitting the exam with visiting my family. Without tendinitis, I hope.

The person I contacted in Germany was very helpful with explaining me the procedures and I must say that his response inspired more confidence than any of the communications I had with Lisbon's British Council.

Call me picky, but with something that important (and that expensive) I just want to be completely sure that everything will be allright.

Kind regards
Anna Sarah
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DipTrans - British Council in Portugal - anyone did it?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »