Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
MA dissertation Topic
Thread poster: Sara Yousefi (X)
Sara Yousefi (X)
Sara Yousefi (X)
English to Persian (Farsi)
Jul 22, 2012

I'm MA student of translation studies, and about to start writing my proposal... I'm really interested in the field of translation and cultural studies and like to focus my attention on this field ...does anybody have any idea for dissertation related to translation and culture ?? I need some inspiration.

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 23:18
German to English
+ ...
Although your question is probably far too unspecific Jul 22, 2012

one topic that I would personally love to address if I wasn't a full time translator is whether works whose success is (apparently) based on a type of humour that is peculiar to one culture can be fully appreciated in translation by another culture. I'm thinking of writers like Terry Pratchett or Douglas Adams, or perhaps even more so PG Wodehouse.

LÖet us know what you finally decide to do!! And good luck!

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:18
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Don't write about any silly "translation theories". Jul 22, 2012

The most impressive dissertation by a linguist I ever read was the one written by my beloved old French teacher - a German woman who studied at the Sorbonne. She wrote about the concept of awe. It blew my mind!

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:18
Hebrew to English
Wouldn't mind reading that myself Jul 22, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

The most impressive dissertation by a linguist I ever read was the one written by my beloved old French teacher - a German woman who studied at the Sorbonne. She wrote about the concept of awe. It blew my mind!

That sounds really interesting! Don't suppose you know if it's floating about the internet anywhere?

Sara Yousefi (X)
Sara Yousefi (X)
TOPIC STARTER
it seems interesting Jul 22, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Dear Nicole would you plz explain a little abut this dissertation?!!!

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I wish... Jul 22, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

That sounds really interesting! Don't suppose you know if it's floating about the internet anywhere?

That was long before Internet. I read her dissertation in 1980 or 1981, shortly before my final exam in 1982, by then she already was in her late 50s.

Addendum:
How I wish I had kept a copy. Young people are stupid.

[Edited at 2012-07-22 09:46 GMT]

Sara Yousefi (X)
Sara Yousefi (X)
TOPIC STARTER
Nice Idea Jul 22, 2012

David Wright wrote:

one topic that I would personally love to address if I wasn't a full time translator is whether works whose success is (apparently) based on a type of humour that is peculiar to one culture can be fully appreciated in translation by another culture. I'm thinking of writers like Terry Pratchett or Douglas Adams, or perhaps even more so PG Wodehouse.

LÖet us know what you finally decide to do!! And good luck!

I really like ur idea!!!! please inform me if any other idea comes to ur mind...

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
I've lost many a gem because of the same Jul 22, 2012

Which is why I'm a hoarder now of any book, journal or academic paper which catches my eye.
Look out for me on "Extreme Hoarders" in about 30 years!

If you can recall, did she focus on how the concept of awe is expressed/translated in different languages (German & French) or....?

(BTW, I'm told my use of "or...?" tagged onto my questions - I do it a lot in speech - is a relic from learning German, d
... See more
Which is why I'm a hoarder now of any book, journal or academic paper which catches my eye.

If you can recall, did she focus on how the concept of awe is expressed/translated in different languages (German & French) or....?

(BTW, I'm told my use of "or...?" tagged onto my questions - I do it a lot in speech - is a relic from learning German, don't know how true that is though!).
Collapse

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 05:18
Chinese to English
Old stand-bys Jul 22, 2012

Common things to write about:

1) Take a book with some juicy cultural stuff in it (e.g. a love story with a distinctively American courtship, or a book about food) and analyse an existing translation of the book.

2) Look at the way Iranian politicians are translated on CNN, see if any common themes emerge.

3) Look at distinctive kinds of metaphors (American sports metaphors are a popular choice, or you could look at historial allusions in Farsi) and examine
... See more
Common things to write about:

1) Take a book with some juicy cultural stuff in it (e.g. a love story with a distinctively American courtship, or a book about food) and analyse an existing translation of the book.

2) Look at the way Iranian politicians are translated on CNN, see if any common themes emerge.

3) Look at distinctive kinds of metaphors (American sports metaphors are a popular choice, or you could look at historial allusions in Farsi) and examine how they've been translated.

These are bog standard approaches, not exciting in themselves, but if you find interesting material, they can still yield decent dissertations.
Collapse

Susana Valdez
Susana Valdez  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Ask your supervisor Jul 22, 2012

The best thing is to ask your supervisor or if you still don't have one the teacher you want to work with. They always have a lot of ideas and can help you find the topic right for you.

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:18
Russian to English
+ ...
Hi, Sarah. Jul 22, 2012

You could write about the approaches to translating different expressions people use to address each other in different cultures. This may really turn out a very interesting subject, especially if you illustrate it with some interesting cultural background.

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
@Ty - can you hear us? Are you there? :-) Jul 22, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

I don't know if she studied philology, philosophy or French as a Romance language, or all of the above. It takes quite a bit to be allowed to teach senior level high school in Germany. The focus was on cultural differences.

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:18
Russian to English
+ ...
That must have been a really fascinating subject, Nicolle, Jul 22, 2012

I agree. All the cultural nuances and intricacies of language and one culture, and how certain things should be conveyed into a different language, which may not share the same concepts with that language, is really fascinating. Such analysis requires not only linguistic knowledge but a deeper insight into the psychology of a particular society as well.

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Thanks, Lilian! Jul 22, 2012

My name is Nicole, not Nicolle. My parents didn't name me with any typos included.

I read this dissertation approximately 30 years ago. I mentioned this particular example to remind the original poster that there are countless options available. Other than the usual and wildly popular: "How to integrate CAT tools in modern translation" or similar.

LilianBoland wrote:

I agree. All the cultural nuances and intricacies of language and one culture, and how certain things should be conveyed into a different language, which may not share the same concepts with that language, is really fascinating. Such analysis requires not only linguistic knowledge but a deeper insight into the psychology of a particular society as well.

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 00:18
Turkish to English
+ ...
kinship terminology Jul 22, 2012

This is one thought that comes to mind. I suspect that Persian has more kinship terms than English, and each culture has its own connotations associated with each such term. For example, if you have to translate 'uncle' or 'aunt' from English into a language that, like most languages in the world, distinguishes between paternal and maternal uncles/aunts, and also regards the paternal uncle/aunt in a very different light to the maternal uncle/aunt, and the context does not tell you which it is, w... See more
This is one thought that comes to mind. I suspect that Persian has more kinship terms than English, and each culture has its own connotations associated with each such term. For example, if you have to translate 'uncle' or 'aunt' from English into a language that, like most languages in the world, distinguishes between paternal and maternal uncles/aunts, and also regards the paternal uncle/aunt in a very different light to the maternal uncle/aunt, and the context does not tell you which it is, which one do you choose, and what will the consequences be?Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MA dissertation Topic

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »