Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:52
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Apr 11, 2012

One of my customers is thinking of using Worldserver for future projects. According to the information on SDL Worldserver is completely "aligned" with Studio. So why not use Studio instead? What's the benefits and who's are they?

[Bearbeitet am 2012-04-12 06:20 GMT]

Zoltán Kulcsár
Zoltán Kulcsár  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:52
English to Hungarian
benefits: none for you Apr 12, 2012

WorldServer Desktop Workbench is a really old product, whose development was discountinued several years ago. Additionally, being a free product for translators, its functionality is severely limited.

I suggest asking your customer to export these projects to Studio-compatible packages, as new versions of the server product have this ability.

[Módosítva: 2012-04-12 10:38 GMT]

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
WorldServer is alive and well Apr 12, 2012

The Desktop version of WorldServer is indeed an old product, but SDL WorldServer as a globalization management system is alive and well.

Heinrich, you will most probably log into the Web environment, accept the task(s) assigned to you, export to a Studio-compatible package, and work in Studio. Then create a return package, import the package in WorldServer and then complete your task. Easy peasy. We've rolled out the system in-house last year and it's been a positive experience, no
... See more
The Desktop version of WorldServer is indeed an old product, but SDL WorldServer as a globalization management system is alive and well.

Heinrich, you will most probably log into the Web environment, accept the task(s) assigned to you, export to a Studio-compatible package, and work in Studio. Then create a return package, import the package in WorldServer and then complete your task. Easy peasy. We've rolled out the system in-house last year and it's been a positive experience, not only for us, but for our external partners as well.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:52
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That sounds reasonable Apr 12, 2012

This is a customer I have worked for since 2006 and I rather not loose them, but I want to keep control of my TM and translations, which would not be possible if I have to work on-line.
Thanks for your info, Marie-Claude!

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Project TM Apr 12, 2012

You usually receive a project TM included in the exported package. You can add your own TM to the project settings in Studio when working on the project, no problem. Unless of course your client asks you to work via the online environment included with WorldServer, called Browser Workbench. But that's something that you need to discuss with your client, because it depends on their workflow. However if they mentioned it was compatible with Studio, they probably expect you to work in Studio via an... See more
You usually receive a project TM included in the exported package. You can add your own TM to the project settings in Studio when working on the project, no problem. Unless of course your client asks you to work via the online environment included with WorldServer, called Browser Workbench. But that's something that you need to discuss with your client, because it depends on their workflow. However if they mentioned it was compatible with Studio, they probably expect you to work in Studio via an export package!Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any experience with Worldserver?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »