Any ATA Sample Exams? En>Chinese. OR English to anything! Also seeking Medicine/Healthcare Samples
Thread poster: miracle8
Jan 21, 2012

I'm taking the exam in a month, English>Chinese for sure, considering the medicine/healthcare option. I'm really hoping to find a couple of sample exams so I know what to expect and where I am.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

David Russi
David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ask ATA Jan 23, 2012

Try here:

https://www.atanet.org/certification/aboutpractice_registrationform.php

it will cost $50, but English > Chinese is one of the combinations.

Paula Gordon
Paula Gordon  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:13
Bosnian to English
+ ...
watch the webinar and practice your handwriting Jan 23, 2012

miracle8 wrote:

I'm taking the exam in a month, English>Chinese for sure, considering the medicine/healthcare option. I'm really hoping to find a couple of sample exams so I know what to expect and where I am.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Miracle8,
There is practice test, as David Russi mentioned, but if you're taking the exam in Feb, you don't have time to get the most out of it (no way to get a marked practice test back before the Feb exam date). You can search the ATA website for exam-taking advice. There are probably articles in the Chronicle and past conference sessions available. The certification pages also have information about what to expect.

My advice: View ($) Celia Bohannon's webinar on taking the exam:
http://www.atanet.org/webinars/ataWebinar93_certification.php
She doesn't talk about specific language pairs, but she goes over the exam itself and outlines a strategy for preparation and for taking the exam. I recommend it highly.
There's also a FAQ handout on that page available at no cost.

At the very least, practice writing your target language by hand -- legibly. It's a three-hour exam, so figure that you'll be writing for two hours or more within that three-hour period. Make sure you can physically do it.

Please note that members who share past exams or even share information that could lead a candidate to find exam passages online risk losing their own certification -- they are stripped of their credentials if they are found out. So don't be offended when no one offers you a past exam.

Good luck!
[edited to add info about the handout]

[Edited at 2012-01-23 16:34 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any ATA Sample Exams? En>Chinese. OR English to anything! Also seeking Medicine/Healthcare Samples

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »