Annett Hieber
Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:52
English to German
+ ...
Dec 4, 2011

Hi All,

Has anyone of you taken this exam and can tell me something about it? Do you stand a chance to pass it, if you have reasonable basic legal knowledge, but not being a law student or practising lawyer? Is it generally recognized?

Please share your experiences! Thank you.

Annett

Ioana Costache
Ioana Costache  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2007)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Info as of Nov. 2009 Jan 2, 2012

Dear Annett,

I took the ILEC exam in November 2009 and found it to be more than accessible, even if I have no formal legal training at all (but I have been reading law-related material since 1998, worked with various law firms and did all the CPD courses I could find on legal translation). As for recognition, I haven't put it to the te
... See more
Dear Annett,

I took the ILEC exam in November 2009 and found it to be more than accessible, even if I have no formal legal training at all (but I have been reading law-related material since 1998, worked with various law firms and did all the CPD courses I could find on legal translation). As for recognition, I haven't put it to the test, but according to http://www.legalenglishtest.org/recognition.php the exam is recognized by quite an extensive list of bodies and institutions.
The only thing I dislike about ILEC is the fact that the highest level is C1. I'd rather have a straight C2 than the C1 "pass with merit" that I got
Good luck if you decide to take the test If you're interested in prep materials, the site I indicated above has a section on that topic, too.
Collapse

Annett Hieber
Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:52
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting Information Jan 3, 2012

Hi Iona,

Thank for this interesting information and the links. I fully agree (and do not understand) that C1 is the biggest disadvantage here. I took the Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency already in 2002 which has the level C2 (I got an A) and didn't find that too difficult, however, it is only about general language.

I will see what to do.

Have a good time,

Annett

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cambridge ILEC Certificate

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »