Thread poster: Federica Meacci
Federica Meacci
Federica Meacci  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:14
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 21, 2010

Hi everyone!

I am a Conference Interpreting student and I will obtain my PG degree in March. I would likt to move to the U.K., in particular to London to find a job there as interpreter/translator. I have a bit of experience but not much and I am also considering taking an MA or a diploma but here a mess starts.
I have found an MA in Legal Translation at City University in Lond
... See more
Hi everyone!

I am a Conference Interpreting student and I will obtain my PG degree in March. I would likt to move to the U.K., in particular to London to find a job there as interpreter/translator. I have a bit of experience but not much and I am also considering taking an MA or a diploma but here a mess starts.
I have found an MA in Legal Translation at City University in London: http://www.city.ac.uk/study/courses/arts/legal-translation-ma-diploma.html

and other three interesting courses at Met uni.
Legal Interpreting which entails an itnenship but does not concretely contribute to the DPSI:
http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/pgprospectus/courses/legal-interpreting-pgd.cfm

Health Interpreting which will give me task 1 and task 2 of the DPSI but no internship: http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/pgprospectus/courses/health-interpreting-pgc.cfm

MAPSI which, as far as I have understood, is not the same as the DPSI (menaing I woiuld have to pass all the tests for theDPSI, wouldn't I?): http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/pgprospectus/courses/public-service-interpreting.cfm

I am comparing all these courses as I think an IoL accreditation would be considered positively by agencies and private clients. Now, the thing I do not understand is that I need to take the DPSI to become a member of the IoL or if these are two different things.

All in all, I would like to ask you any advice you may have on the most reasonable step I should make.

Thank you very much!

Federica
Collapse

Carole Paquis
Carole Paquis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:14
Member (2007)
English to French
Different issues Dec 21, 2010

You do not need the DPSI to be a Member of the Chartered Institute of Linguists.

They are two different things.

In short
MAs, DPSI and Membership of the CIoL are all different things.

If you want to be an interpreter in public service, a DPSI is (nearly) compulsory. I put nearly because of the can of worm this is going to unleash on Proz.

An MA is a qualification, like any other MA, I would say.

As far as the membership of
... See more
You do not need the DPSI to be a Member of the Chartered Institute of Linguists.

They are two different things.

In short
MAs, DPSI and Membership of the CIoL are all different things.

If you want to be an interpreter in public service, a DPSI is (nearly) compulsory. I put nearly because of the can of worm this is going to unleash on Proz.

An MA is a qualification, like any other MA, I would say.

As far as the membership of the CIoL is concerned, it is not compulsory in the UK, but, from my own personal experience, it is indeed very useful and is well considered by prospective clients. The criteria to become a member can be easily found on the CIoL website.

All the best with you research.

Carole
Collapse

Federica Meacci
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
one more thing Dec 22, 2010

Thank you Carol!

Now everything is clearer. I will apply for the IoL membership then.

One more thing, would you recommend MAPSI or DPSI then?

Thanks again and Merry Christmas

Carole Paquis
Carole Paquis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:14
Member (2007)
English to French
Don't know Dec 23, 2010

Federica Meacci wrote:

One more thing, would you recommend MAPSI or DPSI then?

I am afraid I don't know the answer. I am not an interpreter, so I can't compare. I think you need a little bit more research on that one.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Confusion. Dec 25, 2010

If you get an MA in Conference interpreting (EMCI?), I would stick to just that and try to get as much experience as possible in CI and obtain proof of my services.
If you intend to participate in a E.U.-competition, all other forms of interpreting do not count to particate directly at level AD07. For that you need 100 days of proven CI.
Can't you teachers introduce you into the close-knit world of CI?
If you want to know how to get into CI, send a message.

IOL, D
... See more
If you get an MA in Conference interpreting (EMCI?), I would stick to just that and try to get as much experience as possible in CI and obtain proof of my services.
If you intend to participate in a E.U.-competition, all other forms of interpreting do not count to particate directly at level AD07. For that you need 100 days of proven CI.
Can't you teachers introduce you into the close-knit world of CI?
If you want to know how to get into CI, send a message.

IOL, DIPSI et.al are typically British, not European.
Collapse

Federica Meacci
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
can't participate in EU-competition Dec 27, 2010

Thank you Williamson for your reply.

I don't get an EMCI, but a 2-year post graduate degree. I don't think it is the same.
Unfortunately for the time being I can't participate in any eu competition, as my working languages are English (Language B) and Russian (C), plus Italian (language A).
As for any membership, I don't have any proof of CI days. Unfortunately no one is willing to give you a CI assignment if you don't have experience and if you don't work you don't hav
... See more
Thank you Williamson for your reply.

I don't get an EMCI, but a 2-year post graduate degree. I don't think it is the same.
Unfortunately for the time being I can't participate in any eu competition, as my working languages are English (Language B) and Russian (C), plus Italian (language A).
As for any membership, I don't have any proof of CI days. Unfortunately no one is willing to give you a CI assignment if you don't have experience and if you don't work you don't have experience...it's a vicious cycle. At least here in Italy. And my teacher will never say anything good to us. Some of them still work and don't like competition, and others can't simply bother.
I was hoping that the U.K. was different. Maybe if I get an IoL accreditation I'll get an opportunity to work and gain experience. The thing is that I don't really know how the situation in the U.K. is and I am just trying to understand what I should do. Honestly, I don't see any future in Italy and I wouldn't mind moving to Great Britain but I need to know what to do or at least what to expect.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ma, diploma, IoL membership and confusion

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »