Thread poster: Greg Hunt
Greg Hunt
Greg Hunt  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 20, 2010

Those who are due to sit the the Institute of Linguists' Dip Trans exam in January or those who are considering doing so in the future will know that past papers can only be ordered from the IoL for a not-so-small fee.

I sat the Spanish-English exam last January (and passed!) and so I have the 2010 papers.

Of course, I cannot publish these or copy them as they are under copyright, but all of the exam questions are edited versions of things that are already in the publi
... See more
Those who are due to sit the the Institute of Linguists' Dip Trans exam in January or those who are considering doing so in the future will know that past papers can only be ordered from the IoL for a not-so-small fee.

I sat the Spanish-English exam last January (and passed!) and so I have the 2010 papers.

Of course, I cannot publish these or copy them as they are under copyright, but all of the exam questions are edited versions of things that are already in the public domain. So, I've done a little research and posted all the relevant links with a bit of added information on my blog.

I realise that it would have been better if I'd posted all this a while back but I never seemed to be able to find the time to put it all together.

Anyone who is interested is welcome to have a look - I hope it will be useful to someone.

[Edited at 2010-12-20 17:43 GMT]
Collapse

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Very interesting and informative reading Dec 20, 2010

Thank you so much Greg, this is sth which a good number of people are going to benefit from. Please polish you halo.

I have been toying with the idea of doing the exams for some years now, and reading the latest papers (there used to be samples on their website but then these disappeared a year or so ago) that you have assembled for us, I'm not too discouraged, but then, good golly miss molly, I looked at the prices. Yikes.

Any comments anyone on whether you think that
... See more
Thank you so much Greg, this is sth which a good number of people are going to benefit from. Please polish you halo.

I have been toying with the idea of doing the exams for some years now, and reading the latest papers (there used to be samples on their website but then these disappeared a year or so ago) that you have assembled for us, I'm not too discouraged, but then, good golly miss molly, I looked at the prices. Yikes.

Any comments anyone on whether you think that an experienced translator's bank balance can benefit from having the diploma under your belt? I expect there will have been previous threads on this....
Collapse

Greg Hunt
Greg Hunt  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
There has been a measurable benefit Dec 20, 2010

For me personally, there was a definite benefit to doing the exam: the centre where I did the exam is also a translation agency and is now one of my clients! A few months after receiving the news about passing the exam, I turned freelance (I'd been an employee at an agency/language academy previously), sent my CV in to them and they remembered me. Perhaps I was lucky that I met the owner while I was there. I've had a steady stream of work from them ever since. Obviously this kind of agency does ... See more
For me personally, there was a definite benefit to doing the exam: the centre where I did the exam is also a translation agency and is now one of my clients! A few months after receiving the news about passing the exam, I turned freelance (I'd been an employee at an agency/language academy previously), sent my CV in to them and they remembered me. Perhaps I was lucky that I met the owner while I was there. I've had a steady stream of work from them ever since. Obviously this kind of agency does place a value on the qualification, but it's a bit like doing an interview for a job which may or may not exist in the future - if they are already happy with who they've got, then it's not going to happen. I'd say it's also helped to cement my position at another agency with which I already had a relationship. I've had a couple of calls off other places, but it's hard to know whether they contacted me because of the qualification or not.Collapse

Annette Christmas
Annette Christmas
Spain
Member (2015)
German to English
+ ...
kindness ppersonified Aug 18, 2015

That is so kind of you, Greg, to take the time and trouble to do this for others.

All the best to all of us aspiring applicants out there!

Annie Christmas

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dip Trans exam, Spanish-English, past papers

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »