Jingling Zhang
Jingling Zhang
Denmark
Local time: 14:19
English to Chinese
+ ...
Nov 14, 2010

Hi all,

I need your advice on the interpreting programs in the UK. I'm looking for a practical program that may build a professional career in conference interpreting on completing the program. I've seen several universities offer similar courses: Westminster, MiddleSex, Leeds, Newcastle, Salford, Heriot-Watt, Bath... Not sure which ones to apply...

Thanks in advance!

Sarah Puchner
Sarah Puchner  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:19
French to English
Salford grad. Nov 15, 2010

For what it's worth, I chose Salford for my BA because of its practical approach to languages, best choice I ever made. That was a while ago though, maybe some more recent grads can chime in...

Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
EMIC Nov 15, 2010

The Westminister course is the only one recognised by the European Masters in Conference Interpreting scheme. This one can get you places afterwards. But if your first language is English you may want to study abroad to improve your second or third language. The failure rate is quite high, around 50% so it is a good idea to have some experience in simultaneous interpreting or to have already devised a notetaking system. But maybe you are a natural and could quite happily do all this in a year.... See more
The Westminister course is the only one recognised by the European Masters in Conference Interpreting scheme. This one can get you places afterwards. But if your first language is English you may want to study abroad to improve your second or third language. The failure rate is quite high, around 50% so it is a good idea to have some experience in simultaneous interpreting or to have already devised a notetaking system. But maybe you are a natural and could quite happily do all this in a year.

Good luck
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:19
Flemish to English
+ ...
All interpreting schools big and small. Nov 15, 2010

Westminster is the most expensive one and has the best reputation.
But it all depends upon you and your capabilities.
Some grads of Leeds have passed the accreditation interpreting test.
One of HW has probably passed the preselection test. If this person passes the remaining tests, (s)he might find him/herself on the reserve-list of an E.U.-competition.

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Salford Nov 15, 2010

has a great reputation for its language program (BA or MA). The teachers are great, I can vouch for that!

Quote from the MA/PgDip in Interpreting and Translating page at Salford:
''Well-established links with the Directorate General Interpreting at the European Commission (SCIC) and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO)''.

Hope it helps:)

PS: Nice to see you again, Sarah!

Jingling Zhang
Jingling Zhang
Denmark
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Salford:translation-focused?Application process? Nov 15, 2010

Thanks all. I forgot to mention that I'm a native Chinese and currently I work in England.

@ Diana and Sarah: It seems to me that the Chinese-English program at Salford is translation-focused. What do you think?

@ Tatty: I've heard of the high failure rate from the interpreting school in Shanghai, China. Guess it wouldn't be less demanding here. What about the application process? How difficult are the written test and the interview?

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Outside the UK Nov 16, 2010

Diana Coada wrote:

has a great reputation for its language program (BA or MA). The teachers are great, I can vouch for that!

Quote from the MA/PgDip in Interpreting and Translating page at Salford:
''Well-established links with the Directorate General Interpreting at the European Commission (SCIC) and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO)''.

Hope it helps:)

PS: Nice to see you again, Sarah!

How many of those teachers are professional interpreters, (members of AIIC)?
If you are Chinese, Westminster, Leeds are the schools offering Chinese as A.
Failure rate is high everywhere.
Outside the UK: Have a look at the websites of ESIT, ISIT and ETI-Geneva.

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
@Williamson Nov 16, 2010

It is irrelevant to me personally whether they are members of the AIIC or not. But they are professional translators and interpreters who have worked for the EU, translated entire books, and so on.

@allenkeys: You did not mention you were Chinese, nor is it mentioned in your profile. So Williamson is right because I don't think Salford offers Chinese conference interpreting at master level.

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best MA Interpreting programs in UK?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »