Words Language Services Translation Certificate -- worth it?
Thread poster: eccotraduttrice
eccotraduttrice
eccotraduttrice
United States
Local time: 20:35
Italian to English
+ ...
Aug 28, 2010

I kind of "fell into" translation 6 years ago, found I liked it and was good at it, and have been gaining skills ever since. Back then I had no degree at all - just skills in Italian and English. Since I knew I needed a qualification and training of some kind, I signed up and paid for this certificate. It was the only one in my language combination I could find that was offered through distance learning - indeed, it was one of the very few offered for my language combination at all, distance or... See more
I kind of "fell into" translation 6 years ago, found I liked it and was good at it, and have been gaining skills ever since. Back then I had no degree at all - just skills in Italian and English. Since I knew I needed a qualification and training of some kind, I signed up and paid for this certificate. It was the only one in my language combination I could find that was offered through distance learning - indeed, it was one of the very few offered for my language combination at all, distance or not.

From the time I started that certificate, I have since earned a BA in Italian, an MA in International Studies, and several more years of experience. I let the work for the certificate fall by the wayside, and by the time I was ready to pick it up again, the designated time frame for completion had expired.

I now have the option of re-enrolling at a discounted price to finish the certificate. It would cost me a little over $300 -- money I don't really have to spend right now. Given that I am no longer without any credentials or experience, I am now wondering if it is worth it to pay the money and complete the certificate. I think it is a good course, but do you think my having the certificate would realistically make someone more willing to assign me jobs?

Thanks for any input!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Words Language Services Translation Certificate -- worth it?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »