Off topic: Open University
Thread poster: Chiharu Oakley
Chiharu Oakley
Chiharu Oakley
Local time: 05:53
English to Japanese
+ ...
May 10, 2010

I am an experienced Japanese translator, and I usually receive translation work from Japan. I never had a registration problem with translation agencies before although I do not have university degree as long as I passed the trial test given by them. However, holding university degree is essential in order to register with translation agency in the U.K. So, I am thinking to apply for a BA course in Open University.

I would like to know about recognizability in BA degree in Open U
... See more
I am an experienced Japanese translator, and I usually receive translation work from Japan. I never had a registration problem with translation agencies before although I do not have university degree as long as I passed the trial test given by them. However, holding university degree is essential in order to register with translation agency in the U.K. So, I am thinking to apply for a BA course in Open University.

I would like to know about recognizability in BA degree in Open University. Is anyone here have obtained BA degree in Open University and have registered with translation agencies in the U.K? I am thinking to apply for English Language Study Course. Please give me advice from your experience?
Collapse

Charles Santos
Charles Santos  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:53
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Recognition Jul 25, 2010

I remember an old math teacher of mine that used to say that 'the good student can learn anywhere'... I agree with him, you can learn well in any university, but I would say that a 'distance learning' degree will always be under recognized than a 'normal degree'.

I think that if you are looking for recognition by an agency the best thing to do would be a normal degree!

Chiharu Oakley
Chiharu Oakley
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 26, 2010

Dear Charles,

Thank you very much for giving me your opinion on my questions! I have posted my question a long time ago and nobody have replied for it since, so I was expecting that I get reply. So, thank you. I will consider what you said me.

Paula Borges
Paula Borges  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The Open University Jul 26, 2010

Is generally well-respected in the UK.

Monika Elisabeth Sieger
Monika Elisabeth Sieger  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
It depends on the subject you want to study Jul 27, 2010

Hi from Wales!
When I started studying in England (as a hobby - I am a German law professional and lawyer-linguist) some years ago I started with the OU in Law. It was not bad but honestly said, when I changed to the College of Law that same year to save time (10 months instead of 4 full years) I found out that the OU course was too easy and not demanding enough. The students starting with the so-called LPC at the College of Law coming with a degree from the OU got lost and experienced a v
... See more
Hi from Wales!
When I started studying in England (as a hobby - I am a German law professional and lawyer-linguist) some years ago I started with the OU in Law. It was not bad but honestly said, when I changed to the College of Law that same year to save time (10 months instead of 4 full years) I found out that the OU course was too easy and not demanding enough. The students starting with the so-called LPC at the College of Law coming with a degree from the OU got lost and experienced a very difficult time there.
My husband who had never been to University before is taking now a LLB(Hon.) and is experiencing a very relaxed time there. HMMMMM!

I think that if you are only keen on a title from any university it is ok. But if you really want to take advantage from it chose your subject carefully. There are some other long-distance institutions available as well such as the City University or the Universities of Leeds, Lancashire, Cardiff or Portsmouth offering such long-distance courses and they are sometimes cheaper and faster. Go shopping via the Internet and ask the Unis directly. Normally, they are very helpful.

Good luck. If you need any more advice, pleaselet me know. I have just finished a MA course in Legal Translation at the City University London and preparing my dissertation.
My experiences are still very fresh in my memory.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Open University

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »