Thread poster: Stefania_in_NZ
Stefania_in_NZ
Stefania_in_NZ
Local time: 20:06
English to Italian
Mar 26, 2010

Hi everyone,

I am yet another wanna-be translator.

Unfortunately I have discovered this new passion away from home, so getting a degree from an Italian University seems out of the question (our universities do not offer as many on-line options as others do around the world).

I have been browsing the net for quite some time now, and just when I thought I had found a course that might have been "the one" (Master in Traduzione per l'editoria - on line course
... See more
Hi everyone,

I am yet another wanna-be translator.

Unfortunately I have discovered this new passion away from home, so getting a degree from an Italian University seems out of the question (our universities do not offer as many on-line options as others do around the world).

I have been browsing the net for quite some time now, and just when I thought I had found a course that might have been "the one" (Master in Traduzione per l'editoria - on line course offered by IATI) I found a discussion on ProZ about IATI. The part that got my attention (and got me worried) was a mention of how none of diplomas/certificates/masters that can be obtained from the many Italian associations for translators are actually recognised.

All I am looking for is a learning tool that I can use from New Zealand (preferably with a tutor - as I have discovered how disheartening it can be to study with no "professional" help/guidance) to get my skills up before It try to market myself. I would hate to make a bad name for myself by offering below-standard translations.

I have been browsings the forums and there are lots of posts from people, with no translation degrees and 10/20 years experience, who say that a degree really isn't necessary.

However, I do believe that with this much competition, and in a day and age where lots of people do speak at least two languages, some sort of qualification would indeed help.

I have also always been a bit of a library rat and I do like absorbing knowledge from others so the idea of training is very appealing. However I am not getting any younger and as an adult learner I do want to get the best possible training.

Now my question is: how do I find out which courses are well respected (if not recognised) or, better, are there any on-line course - that are not university courses - that are indeed respected or recognised?

So, this is just a cry for help (I apologise if it is the 10000000th of its kind).

I am now trying to decide whether I want to invest 1600 euro in a course run by IATI (in a subject that really interests me) or I should choose to go for the 700 euro course offered by WLS Ireland which would prepare me for an exam at the Institute of Linguists (yet another association)?

I am at a loss.

Can anybody help?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions and comments.

Stef
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:06
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
My two cents Mar 27, 2010

I am one of the translators who started working in this industry/craft 15 years ago with no formal training in translation. Yes, my knowledge of languages was above average and I had worked for 10 years in international companies in Spain, the UK, and Switzerland, and had already done some translation for the companies I worked for, but had no formal training or higher education. My big push in translation came when I joined a localisation company in Madrid and had a chance to start learning.... See more
I am one of the translators who started working in this industry/craft 15 years ago with no formal training in translation. Yes, my knowledge of languages was above average and I had worked for 10 years in international companies in Spain, the UK, and Switzerland, and had already done some translation for the companies I worked for, but had no formal training or higher education. My big push in translation came when I joined a localisation company in Madrid and had a chance to start learning.

Although I don't have a degree in translation, I don't agree with those who say it is not necessary. I think it would help me tremendously in my work and have the long-term goal of going to University and try to get the degree. I will do so as soon as I have a chance, although I am very lucky and enjoy a continuous flow of work from my great customers. In my opinion, when you return to Italy, the most reasonable long-term goal is a degree in translation.

Now, I think that you want to go for a well-known certificate in your language pairs. Living in New Zealand and being English your main source text , the first option is Australia's NAATI certificate, which is an official certificate in Australia and is well-known in other countries. In NAATI's website you will find very useful information about how to get training. Maybe there are options in New Zealand for that, but in any case you could prepare in New Zealand and fly over to Australia to take the exam.

I must say however that, even with the NAATI's certificate, the amount of work you can expect from Australia or New Zealand is rather low compared with what you could get from the US or the UK (or from other countries, or materials developed in English).

On a more global level, a very well-known credential is the IOL's Diploma in Translation. You can take this exam at many venues (I took it in Madrid this year, at the British Council) and surely in New Zealand. Along with the ITI, the Institute of Linguists is probably the most respected language and translation institution in the UK and is well-known abroad, so it is not "yet another association". The exam is an open-book, open-to-all test made up of three texts.

Another option is the American Translators Association certification scheme. You must be a member of the ATA to take the exam, which is a 3-hour, open-book test with two texts. The only problem with it is that exams usually take place in the US or in the Americas. I took my exam in Michigan.

About IATI, I had never heard of it, although I don't work in Italian.

As for the preparation for any of the certifications above, you must be aware that none of them are easy to pass. Unless you have translated at least a million English words already (the equivalent of two-three years of full-time translation), I would recommend not to give it a try without thorough training. Even with a million words translated, training (or at least preparing) is a good idea as there are always things we rarely come across in our daily work but could be important to remember at the exam.

I'd say that any training for IOL's Diptrans, which is probably the hardest of the three (although there are all sorts of opinions) will be a good idea. Then you can take all three exams if possible. Yes, it means money, money, money!

After a good experience with them, I would recommend the distance learning course for the DipTrans offered by the City University London. I took Module 3 only, but you probably want to take all three modules. It is mostly practical, and your tutor will review your texts, detect your weaknesses, and offer you advice about how to improve. I think this is your best option really. In total, all three modules cost 1,050 pounds (some 2,200 NZ dollars). The only problem with them is the dates, but since you can only take the DipTrans in January, you have a chance to prepare during the year. Check them out.

A fact to take into account is that the City University's course is mostly aimed towards active translators, so you might want to take other courses on translation (maybe at a local level) and learn more before the City's course. It might be a good idea.

I general, for any distance learning, I'd go for university programmes. There is a whole world of them out there. I'll let you research it yourself.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2010-03-27 07:37 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oh my Mar 27, 2010

Indeed, pictures in the true Italian style. You never know whether they are offering a master in translation or selling the latest fashionables.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:06
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I found WLS a serious outfit Mar 27, 2010

Stefania_in_NZ wrote:

The part that got my attention (and got me worried) was a mention of how none of diplomas/certificates/masters that can be obtained from the many Italian associations for translators are actually recognised.

All I am looking for is a learning tool that I can use ..... to get my skills up.

In that case, does it really have to be "recognised"? Surely, it's the learning experience you're looking for more than anything else.

I am now trying to decide whether I want to invest 1600 euro in a course run by IATI (in a subject that really interests me) or I should choose to go for the 700 euro course offered by WLS Ireland which would prepare me for an exam at the Institute of Linguists (yet another association)?

I know nothing about the IATI course, but I did the WLS course in French to English translating. I imagine it's very basic compared to many courses but it seemed very professionally put together and run, with a tutor who always ready to help and gave an awful lot of contructive criticism on each assignment - a long way from just giving a mark as the "sharks" would do. I found it very useful.

I personally agree that it's important to have studied the basics of translation techniques. Only then can you avoid making the most basic errors and hope to look slightly professional. But it's the studying more than the holding of a recognised diploma that is important, IMO.

Feel free to send me a PM if you want more info on WLS.

[Edited at 2010-03-27 20:53 GMT]

Stefania_in_NZ
Stefania_in_NZ
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
thank you so much Mar 27, 2010

Thanks so much for your replies.

It's good to know that one of the options I was looking at could be good for me.

It is the learning experience I am mainly interested in and getting helpful feedback; the WLS course that prepare for Institute of Linguists exam seems to be the best option. I will look into whether they held exams here in NZ.

... and yes, if I do end up in Italy at any stage in the future I will look into University training too.

... See more
Thanks so much for your replies.

It's good to know that one of the options I was looking at could be good for me.

It is the learning experience I am mainly interested in and getting helpful feedback; the WLS course that prepare for Institute of Linguists exam seems to be the best option. I will look into whether they held exams here in NZ.

... and yes, if I do end up in Italy at any stage in the future I will look into University training too.

Thanks again.

Stef
Collapse

Natalia Eklund
Natalia Eklund  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Another option Apr 16, 2010

Just to throw this option out there:

I know you were asking specifically about Translation schools, BUT
if I had to start all over at the beginning of my translation career
(knowing then what I know now), I would -

1) Decide the specialization(s) to concentrate on (ex. finance, IT, Medical, etc.)

2) Go to a college/university or other school where I can 'create' my own degree

3) Create my degree with the following courses
... See more
Just to throw this option out there:

I know you were asking specifically about Translation schools, BUT
if I had to start all over at the beginning of my translation career
(knowing then what I know now), I would -

1) Decide the specialization(s) to concentrate on (ex. finance, IT, Medical, etc.)

2) Go to a college/university or other school where I can 'create' my own degree

3) Create my degree with the following courses
- chosen specialization basic courses (to learn vocabulary and function)
- 2nd/3rd language advanced classes or language associated classes (to
master understanding of nuances, cultural references, etc)
- basic business classes (because it's not just about translating, you
are in a business)

4) Read through the Proz forums (especially Business of Translation and Interpreting forum entries) for a few months
- These forums really helped me when I started because I learned
from situations other people were in and the discussed solutions

5) Go to a Translator's conference

6) Take the ATA exam.

What all translators lack at the beginning is 'knowledge' and acknowledgement to give them confidence. Steps 1-4 can reassure you in the knowledge department, and steps 5-6 can give you the acknowledgement you need that you are a professional translator.

That is my recommended recipe.
I don't have anything really against Translation schools, but I'm not sure they really prepare you for 'Working' as a translator.

Good luck.

[Edited at 2010-04-16 09:35 GMT]
Collapse

Lang-uages (X)
Lang-uages (X)
English to German
+ ...
Get formal training if you are serious about this May 20, 2010

Hi Stefania!

If you are really serious about wanting to work in the translation business in New Zealand, I would REALLY recommend that you get some formal training that is recognized by the NZSTI.

Of course, you may always manage to get translation jobs to keep you going, but you would miss out on many of them.

The NZSTI (New Zealand Society of Translators and Interpreters) requires a formal degree from a university or comparable institution to become a f
... See more
Hi Stefania!

If you are really serious about wanting to work in the translation business in New Zealand, I would REALLY recommend that you get some formal training that is recognized by the NZSTI.

Of course, you may always manage to get translation jobs to keep you going, but you would miss out on many of them.

The NZSTI (New Zealand Society of Translators and Interpreters) requires a formal degree from a university or comparable institution to become a full member. Once you are a full member, you can receive a stamp for your language pairs that allows you to do certified translations.
It can also open a lot of doors, since many institutions ask for NZSTI membership.

Good luck!
Sabine
Collapse

Stefania_in_NZ
Stefania_in_NZ
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you!! May 21, 2010

Thanks for the "site specific" advice.

It's good to get all this help right from the start. I have been considering a degree here in NZ where it is easier to choose your subjects and flexibility is more of an option than back in Italy.

I will look into this.

Thanks again.

Stefania

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Degree, no degree or certificate from an association

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »