Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:20
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Indeed it is hard Nov 27, 2009

Mark Thompson wrote:
Well, have been doing some preparation, and have become re-acquainted with using a pen again!

Indeed it's just awkward to use pencil and pen again, but it is a quite interesting exercise actually. For the ATA's exam I had to use the same kind of writing booklets my older son is using.

For DipTrans, I am affraid I was weak and will do the exam with a computer at the British Council in Madrid.

Good luck Mark! Let's keep each other up-to-date about the exam and the results!

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:20
Dutch to English
+ ...
That's correct Nov 27, 2009

Mark Thompson wrote:
In my pair, Portuguese > English, they tell me I could get any variety of Portuguese as source, so I've been working with newspapers, magazines and articles from Portugal and of course here in Brazil.

Hi Mark,

Your information is correct. I have only written Dutch > English, but I've done the preparatory course for Portuguese > English at City University (London) and so have worked through a lot of the old exam papers.

Old exam papers are a mix of European and Brazilian Portuguese. I haven't come across any based on Portuguese articles from Angola, Mozambique or East Timor, for example, but they can give you any variant.

Mark Thompson
Mark Thompson  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:20
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Nov 27, 2009

Thank you Tomás and Lawyer-Linguist for your comments!
Yes, we'll keep in touch about the exam Tomás.

This hand-writing thing is a positive for me - it really demands a more careful approach to translation, so even in preparation I feel like I'm improving in terms of analytical reading and critical thinking.

Cheers!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Please dress me slowly, I am in a hurry Nov 27, 2009

Mark Thompson wrote:
This hand-writing thing is a positive for me - it really demands a more careful approach to translation, so even in preparation I feel like I'm improving in terms of analytical reading and critical thinking.

Indeed. This is very true. In Spanish we have that saying, "Vísteme despacio que tengo prisa", meaning that it is best to slow down a bit and have time to do things right. In today's fast-paced translation industry, it is a must that we introduce something that slows us down.

In my case, I insist in using dictionaries on paper, since they force me to spend some seconds finding the term in the book. During the simple task of turning pages and travelling down the columns of entries with the finger, my mind keeps thinking and in very many cases I think of a better solution and close the dictionary without effectively using it. Well, I did use it but in an alternative way...

Phillippa May Bennett
Phillippa May Bennett
Portugal
Local time: 12:20
Portuguese to English
If it's any help Mark.... Nov 27, 2009

Just in case this is of interest/use... the Portuguese - English General Paper this year was in Brazilian Portuguese. I seem to remember most of the General past papers having been in Portuguese from Portugal, so this was a nice surprise. I think the Business one was from Portugal, the Technology and Social Science Papers were also from Brazil. I can't actually remember for the Sciences paper...I think the Literature paper last year was maybe from Angola or Mozambique, but I'm not 100% sure.
... See more
Just in case this is of interest/use... the Portuguese - English General Paper this year was in Brazilian Portuguese. I seem to remember most of the General past papers having been in Portuguese from Portugal, so this was a nice surprise. I think the Business one was from Portugal, the Technology and Social Science Papers were also from Brazil. I can't actually remember for the Sciences paper...I think the Literature paper last year was maybe from Angola or Mozambique, but I'm not 100% sure.

If you want any suggestions of good sites for vocab/news etc. let me know as I have a whole folder full of the work I did in preparation for the exam.

Good luck!

Phillippa

P.S I'm rather relieved I managed to do the exam here in Rio on a computer, although it was a huge battle to persuade them to allow me to use a computer. I really must have been one of the last people to do an external exam at the British Council in Rio......

[Edited at 2009-11-27 20:10 GMT]
Collapse

Joseph Given (X)
Joseph Given (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
German > English past papers Sep 22, 2012

Hi folks. I know this thread is old.
I am sitting the exam in January

language pair German>English

and trying to get a hold of of more past papers than are given on the IOL WEbsite. If anyone has any ideas how to get a hold of them, and I'm willing to pay a small fee for them, please let me know.
Best regards
Joseph

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dip Trans qualification from Chartered Institute of Linguists

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »