Powwow: Virtual Powwow -

This discussion belongs to Powwows » "Powwow: Virtual Powwow - ".
You can see the powwows page and participate in this discussion from there.

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
Local time: 20:31
ProZ.com team
Thinking Out Loud 2: What tools does a translator need to succeed? Apr 23, 2020

The weekly "Thinking Out Loud" virtual powwow is brought to you by Andrew Morris for ProZ.com, every Thursday at 3pm CEST (1pm GMT).

Each week sees us come together in a plenary discussion group for a brief initial talk to launch a discussion. The themes revolve around values, attitudes and beliefs as freelancers as well as occasional practical or marketing tips.

After the introduction, which sets the scene and the theme, participants divide into breakout groups within the
... See more
The weekly "Thinking Out Loud" virtual powwow is brought to you by Andrew Morris for ProZ.com, every Thursday at 3pm CEST (1pm GMT).

Each week sees us come together in a plenary discussion group for a brief initial talk to launch a discussion. The themes revolve around values, attitudes and beliefs as freelancers as well as occasional practical or marketing tips.

After the introduction, which sets the scene and the theme, participants divide into breakout groups within the platform to discuss, react, and explore within a small-group setting, before returning to the main plenary group to share findings, challenge each other and draw any conclusions that may be appropriate.

Over the weeks, we not only get to discuss interesting themes but get to know our fellow translators and build our network.
Collapse

Magamed Aslanov

Tomasso
Tomasso  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:31
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Interesting, computer only, no sound necessary? Apr 24, 2020

Will Pow wow work if only computer and keyboard no sound? Interesting I don not know of a single ProZ member in Idaho (Iowa) LOL , We had one member in Boise about a decade past.

Magamed Aslanov

Magamed Aslanov
Magamed Aslanov  Identity Verified
Georgia
English to Russian
No sound powwow huh?! Apr 29, 2020

Hello, Tomasso. Interesting question about the powwow without the sound. Sounds like old school, which I like too.
But, with virtual powwows like the one we had previous I think it will not work. It is always good to get to hear, talk live, see visuals etc For me it sort of a quality contact building in a distance.

Suzie Withers
Suzie Withers  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:31
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Confused about the time... Apr 30, 2020

The page says 4pm but gives no timezone. Andrew says 3pm CEST, which is now. Has it started, and how do I actually join?

Barbara Wiebking
Barbara Wiebking  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Time Apr 30, 2020

Please excuse me, I was confused about the time as well and therefore only got there pretty late (and without my camera on). Sorry, but I'll try again next week! Taking up one of your questions, even if there might not be too many family names of "Translator", at least I found a town by the name of Tlumach in western Ukraine (or Tłumacz in Polish) which means interpreter - rather interesting as a place name, don't you think?

Ayman Chouaib
Ayman Chouaib
English to Arabic
+ ...
Timezone not displayed Apr 30, 2020

The email I received and powwow page displayed Date/time: 2020-04-30 15:00:00, then it started two hours before that.

[Edited at 2020-04-30 14:33 GMT]

Taras Krasnov

Taras Krasnov
Taras Krasnov
Ukraine
Local time: 21:31
English to Russian
+ ...
Rescheduled? Apr 30, 2020

The time was changed? I checked it earlier and it was to start right now.

Lau Wei Tsinn
Lau Wei Tsinn  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 03:31
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Different timing shown Apr 30, 2020

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for organising this.

I was just about to join the meeting but realised that it'd started 2 hours ago.

When I signed up for the powwow, it showed a different time and I thought that you'd changed the meeting time this week.

I would most certainly like to join the next one! Will it be at the same time every week?

Hope you and the rest of the attendees had a great session =)

Best regards,
Wei

Magamed Aslanov
Magamed Aslanov  Identity Verified
Georgia
English to Russian
Time confusion with me too Apr 30, 2020

Hello, everyone.

I also experienced time confusion. Powwow page from end showed 7:00 pm local time. So, I got relaxed for the time.

I hope it is something technical going on here. A different yet still a technical problem occurred to me with Kudoz today.

Best reagrds,

Maga

Becca Resnik
Becca Resnik  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:31
German to English
+ ...
Rotating times Apr 30, 2020

Andrew Morris wrote:

I would be delighted to attend some of these, but that time is during my day job. I'm lucky enough to be able to telecommute for a bit during the COVID ordeal, so I can have my personal computer next to me right now to post, but I certainly can't jump on a non-work conference call. Is there an intention of rotating the times this is held?

Brian Joyce
Brian Joyce  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2022)
French to English
Is it always so disorganised May 1, 2020

Is disorganised hyphenated?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Powwow: Virtual Powwow -

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »