Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
Powwow: Barcelona - Spain

This discussion belongs to Powwows » "Powwow: Barcelona - Spain".
You can see the powwows page and participate in this discussion from there.

Berni Armstrong
Berni Armstrong  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:19
English
+ ...
Is it at Patrick's then? Nov 22, 2001

Hi all,

I hope that using this sends this note to everyone who is interested.

Have we now agreed on meeting for this barbecue at Patrick's spread? Or do you city dwellers fear to leave the comfort of the noisy city?

Cheers,

Berni Armstrong

Walter Lockhart Ries (X)
Walter Lockhart Ries (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Is it at Patrick's then? Nov 23, 2001

Yeah, is it?

Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Do the majority agree to going to Patrick's masia? Nov 23, 2001

It seems like most people would prefer this option, although a few people have said they would rather meet up in Barcelona itself. Can we come to an agreement over where it is to be in the next few days? Patrick will have to start cooking the roast pigs and veggie-burgers soon!

Sheila

Jaume de Marcos Andreu
Jaume de Marcos Andreu
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Keep it simple Nov 23, 2001

No, I don't think it's a good idea. I find it expensive and the place is far away and inconvenient.I
would rather prefer a nice chat somewherein downtown Barcelona (a good cafetería, there are plenty of them) sipping coffee in the
afternoon or early evening. Cheaper (call me Catalan!) and nicer.

Saludos/Regards
Jaume

Walter Lockhart Ries (X)
Walter Lockhart Ries (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Vote Nov 24, 2001

I vote for the masía idea 1- since Patrick took the initiative, 2-Considering all the people interested, it is centrally located (even more so for me in Tarragona) and 3- as far as I remember, this type of "rancho" isn't the typical sit-down-in-one-place affair where you only talk with 3 people and 4- although expensive, we can seek a cheaper solution next time.

Astrid Nordentoft
Astrid Nordentoft
France
Spanish to Danish
+ ...
Fresh air Nov 24, 2001

I think the masia sounds great. I can understand that some people may have problems getting there, or find it more expensive, but personally (I live in Barcelona) I would love that "excuse" to get away from the city for a day.

RSI EN-ES (AA)
RSI EN-ES (AA)
Other
English to Spanish
+ ...
Masía it is... Nov 24, 2001

The masía is fine. We would
like to have clear directions
as to how to get there by train,
street address in case we take
a cab from the train station, etc.
See you there!

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:19
Spanish to English
I think it should be central Nov 24, 2001

Patrick's idea is much better for a second meeting (if we feel like one). It's almost Xmas, and going to Patrick's means the whole day's gone, plus the problem of transport. I seriously doubt that I'll have the time to go, despite good intentions, if it's in the middle of the day and not central.

Montse Tugas (X)
Montse Tugas (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Masia Nov 25, 2001

It would be great once in life to have a meeting near home. Normally, St. Sadurní is only 35 minuts in train from Barcelona. You can take it in Barcelona Sants and Plaça Catalunya, we aren't lost in the middle of nowhere.

Francesc Pont
Francesc Pont  Identity Verified
English to Catalan
+ ...
If I can... Nov 25, 2001

Where exactly is it to be held? I'd really like to attend the meeting, but I'm afraid I'll be quite far away that Saturday. Well, hope to meet you all there!

MICHAIL ALEXELLIS
MICHAIL ALEXELLIS
Spain
Spanish to Greek
+ ...
Blank vote Nov 25, 2001

It's OK with me. I can go wherever. At the end, it doesn't matter. The objective is to get to know each other.

Berni Armstrong
Spain
English
+ ...
Why not both? Nov 26, 2001

I reckon that if the idea is a get together of a few local translators, then there should be no reason why we couldn't hold two, is there?

I suggest that one of the dissentors to the idea of Sant Sadurni organises a central meeting with fellow dissentors. Though finding a quiet place to chat in BCN will not be easy.

Cheers,

Berni

PS Sant Sadurni is 35 minutes drive from BCN... that's less than it often takes me to do Plaza Catalunya to Icaria
... See more
I reckon that if the idea is a get together of a few local translators, then there should be no reason why we couldn't hold two, is there?

I suggest that one of the dissentors to the idea of Sant Sadurni organises a central meeting with fellow dissentors. Though finding a quiet place to chat in BCN will not be easy.

Cheers,

Berni

PS Sant Sadurni is 35 minutes drive from BCN... that's less than it often takes me to do Plaza Catalunya to Icaria when I am racing to see a film. So let us put "too far" in context please
Collapse

Jaume de Marcos Andreu
Jaume de Marcos Andreu
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Centralismo made in BCN Nov 26, 2001

Funny that people are calculating how long it is to drive from BCN as an argument against going "far away", forgetting that many people do NOT live in BCN...

Anyway I disagree about starting this thing already promoting divisions, one group here, one group there... People vote, and the majority wins, it's as simple as that, no need for divisions and splitting the group before it got started.

Berni Armstrong
Spain
English
+ ...
OK Jaume Nov 26, 2001

I agree that the vote would be the best option. But this should not stop those who just cannot get out to San Sadurni - or object to the picnic price tag - from getting together in an unofficial capacity, should it?
I live in Capellades, so my vote is obviously for the Cava Capital...

Berni

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jaume is right Nov 26, 2001

We're getting nowhere fast. I am willing to go along with any reasonable decision. If in the end it doesn't suit me I can simply withdraw, giving due notice. I am reluctant to venture an opinion as it may simply cause more dissension or disagreement, but maybe we should just stick with BCN, but what about teh organisation, place, etc required?

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Powwow: Barcelona - Spain

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »