Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Powwow: Barcelona - Spain

This discussion belongs to Powwows » "Powwow: Barcelona - Spain".
You can see the powwows page and participate in this discussion from there.

RSI EN-ES (AA)
RSI EN-ES (AA)
Other
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks, but no thanks.... Dec 11, 2001

I think Patrick's offer was not only very kind on his part, but that it also would have been a wonderful opportunity to chillout and enjoy an afternoon barbecue in a kickback setting, without the friggin' noise of the city.

As far as standing in line at that restaurant, count me out. I have a friend that lives right on the corner of Escudellers and Nou de Zurbano, so I know the area real well. It's not for me, especially on a Saturday night. It's too touristy, cruddy, and I don't
... See more
I think Patrick's offer was not only very kind on his part, but that it also would have been a wonderful opportunity to chillout and enjoy an afternoon barbecue in a kickback setting, without the friggin' noise of the city.

As far as standing in line at that restaurant, count me out. I have a friend that lives right on the corner of Escudellers and Nou de Zurbano, so I know the area real well. It's not for me, especially on a Saturday night. It's too touristy, cruddy, and I don't feel like getting into a knife fight, or having to pepper spray somebody. Frankly, I think the idea of having to stand in line is a stupid waste of time. I, for one, refuse to stand in line to get into any restaurant.

The masia would have allowed for a face to face among all of us (wasn't that the idea?), but the scenario that's being presented now most likely won't allow for much social discourse, given the cramped seating, clatter, and clouds of smoke (nothing against tobacco, just don't want to have to breath it).

Maybe, we'll see you all at another event...

Till then,
Cheers from Barceloneta
Collapse

RSI EN-ES (AA)
RSI EN-ES (AA)
Other
English to Spanish
+ ...
Check this quote.... Dec 11, 2001

The excerpt that follows was copied from the following link below (one of several provided above):

http://www.aircrewlayover.com/Cities/BCN/bcn.html

------------------------------
Hi,
I just happened to stumble across your site just after having returned from a prolonged weekend in Barcelona and noticed that you strongly recommend the restaura
... See more
The excerpt that follows was copied from the following link below (one of several provided above):

http://www.aircrewlayover.com/Cities/BCN/bcn.html

------------------------------
Hi,
I just happened to stumble across your site just after having returned from a prolonged weekend in Barcelona and noticed that you strongly recommend the restaurant "Les quinze nits" in the same town. I would say, to avoid a lot of disappointments similar to the one we had, please do change that recommendation to the opposite. A LARGE warning is indeed needed. I was there saturday evening, had to stand in line eventhough I was there half an hour before opening time, was seated and had to wait half an hour to be served (as did everyone else I could see from our table). The dishes arrived quite promptly after that but was lousy in every possible way. Cold food, un-appetizing, over-cooked vegetables, under-cooked rise that could hardly be chewed, bad meat etc. etc. And the lousiness continued througout the meal. They didn't even serve the food on clean plates. To tell the truth, I have seldom had such a bad culinary experience!

Sounds like a joke? True though in every sense of the word. So, do your visitors a favor and issue a warning. I am quite sure this was a splendid place to go at some point, but the truth is that at the moments it's just a big : No way.
Collapse

Patricia Posadas
Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Won't attend :-( Dec 11, 2001

Hello,
Meeting for dinner (whether it be at a nice or unpleasant place)does not suit me. I want to be back at home sweet home within the same day, and meeting in the evening makes it impossible for me. Anyhow,a meeting in a quite place sounded more interesting. I hope we shall meet later on at 'El Trapiche' or any rural place (agroturismo style).

Special thanks to Patrick and Sheila, hope to meet you at future event!

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:28
Spanish to English
Suggest something else Dec 11, 2001

The suggestion was just somewhere you don't need to book. If you don't like the idea, suggest something else. I hardly know Barcelona and especially not places you don't need to book (as it's getting rather late).
Or else, persuade Patrick to have the barbecue!

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)
José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you, Patrick!!!! Dec 11, 2001

Too bad the event in the Masia had to be called off!

It is amazing to see how we cannot agree on something as basic as to where to meet for a relaxed meal. El compañerismo que se ve en el grupo deja mucho que desear. Celos profesionales, bajo flujo de caja, o simplemente falta de madurez?!? En fin...

Patrick and Sheila, thank you both for your efforts and support to the original idea. I feel terrible for you and assume that you do feel puzzled and surprised by so
... See more
Too bad the event in the Masia had to be called off!

It is amazing to see how we cannot agree on something as basic as to where to meet for a relaxed meal. El compañerismo que se ve en el grupo deja mucho que desear. Celos profesionales, bajo flujo de caja, o simplemente falta de madurez?!? En fin...

Patrick and Sheila, thank you both for your efforts and support to the original idea. I feel terrible for you and assume that you do feel puzzled and surprised by some people's attitude and lack of unity. Please adv. if we could meet at El Trapiche some other time.

I agree with Rick and 'his' comments about the restaurant. I had a terrible experience once. I went there on a Saturday with 11 mates and ended up leaving before dessert.

I will fly to Brussels on Friday morning as the event, for me, is now a no-no!

Cheers to all!

JL Villanueva
Collapse

Sean Lyle
Sean Lyle  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
Some thoughts and a suggestion for Saturday Dec 11, 2001

I hope the failure to agree on a site, which I still think is the least important element of all this, is not an indicator of the degree of interest in getting together and getting to know at least some of each other. But we have to clear up the question of what we are trying to do – meet as a group of professionals, or as a group “que va de juerga”? (The first can include the second, but not the other way round!)
Personally, I would count this as a professional semi-obligation, as m
... See more
I hope the failure to agree on a site, which I still think is the least important element of all this, is not an indicator of the degree of interest in getting together and getting to know at least some of each other. But we have to clear up the question of what we are trying to do – meet as a group of professionals, or as a group “que va de juerga”? (The first can include the second, but not the other way round!)
Personally, I would count this as a professional semi-obligation, as much as for the ATD, but that means some time during (relatively) working hours, and certainly not during the evening, and certainly not where you can't see each other for smoke or hear each other for the noise of people talking over everyone else munching seafood fideua and drinking wine at a 10% discount over Waitrose!
My first suggestion is that we all wait until people have got over the Christmas hysteria and then find somewhere where it is possible first to meet and talk, and then (as a follow-up, and not as the main point of it all) to go somewhere and eat/drink for those who have the inclination and can afford time/money to do so. I would have thought that we could fit it all in over a long lunch-time. The huge advantage of Patrick’s offer (thanks again) was precisely that it made a perfect combination of all of this and in a private space, and only losing a long half-hour each way on travel (where can anyone go in BCN in less than 30 mins?). If we don’t take him up on the offer, then we are almost necessarily going to have to fork out for space, - perhaps the cheapest possibility being some chamber of commerce or other, but this wouldn’t be available on a Saturday.
However, a second suggestion, and for this Saturday – there is a coffee shop in the centre of the basement of the Illa Diagonal where a dozen of us could sit round and talk and be heard from mid- to late-morning, (let’s meet at 11:00) and then we could walk down to one of the menú del día restaurants in the direction of c. Nicaragua: for the price conscious, coffee and whatever say 350 ptas, then menú for up to 1250 ptas. There are buses and it’s only 20 mins walk from Sants, and much less from two or three Metro stops. What do you all think?
Collapse

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)
José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sean Lyle: you are right! Dec 11, 2001

You are right!

I would have thought that we could fit it all (EXACTAMENTE) in over a long lunch-time. The huge advantage of Patrick’s offer (thanks again) was precisely that it made a perfect combination of all of this and in a private space, and only losing a long half-hour each way on travel (where can anyone go in BCN in less than 30 mins?).

Take care!

JL

Pepa Devesa
Pepa Devesa
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sean: Like your suggestion Dec 11, 2001

Not only you are right, but I can be there at 11 on Saturday morning. We can go from there. It shouldn't be such a hassle to find a quiet restaurant to eat if we get away from the "crowded" areas. If the lunch time doesn't satisfy the majority,
I can offer another option-but I'd rather see more people agree with anything.
So, I vote for Sean's plan and I will certainly be there, even if it's just a few of us.

Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Wonderful! Dec 11, 2001

I am all for Sean's suggestion. At last we seem to be able to agree on something! I'll be there at 11 A.M.

Sheila

patrick32
patrick32  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ahi estaremos!! Dec 11, 2001

Count me in!! Saturday at 11 L'Illa!
Patrick

Pepa Devesa
Pepa Devesa
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Making sure Dec 11, 2001

i'm glad we're getting to something. But since i'm not very familiar with L'illa,Sean said in the center of the basement level. looks like the center of the basement should be clear, but is there a name for that coffe shop, and what do they call the basement there? Es la planta baja, o qué¿

Sean Lyle
Spanish to English
+ ...
Gloomy-little-basement-caf! Dec 11, 2001

I can't remember the name, but it is on the -1 level, in the centre, near a "Tea Centre of Barcelona" and fancy paper shop -PepaPaper(?), where the space widens out into a sort of square, and on the downhill (city) side of the street which passes right through l'Illa.
I shall be visiting a client in l'Illa in the next couple of days, and will be able to give clearer directions on Thursday/Friday.
I'll be glad to see anyone who can get there!

Berni Armstrong
Berni Armstrong  Identity Verified
Spain
English
+ ...
A week is a long time... Dec 11, 2001

Wow... what a disappointment that Patrick didn't think it worthwhile continuing his offer. I hate smoky bars... it is the worst aspect of life in Catalonia. I also hate the typical noisy "lively" places where so much Catalan social life happens. I would really have enjoyed a quiet country place.

I don't know the café bar proposed and it is a bit early for me to get into BCN for that time... The best thing about Patrick's suggestion (won't you reconsider P32?) was that families
... See more
Wow... what a disappointment that Patrick didn't think it worthwhile continuing his offer. I hate smoky bars... it is the worst aspect of life in Catalonia. I also hate the typical noisy "lively" places where so much Catalan social life happens. I would really have enjoyed a quiet country place.

I don't know the café bar proposed and it is a bit early for me to get into BCN for that time... The best thing about Patrick's suggestion (won't you reconsider P32?) was that families could come too.

Ah well... If you are all set on this café bar, I'll try and get there... but if it gets too smoky... I'm off.... I won't willingly submit myself to smoky places... (so I have no social life here - so be it

Sadly yours,

Berni
Collapse

Sean Lyle
Spanish to English
+ ...
Smoke gets in my eyes Dec 11, 2001

A comment for Berni - One of the reasons for the bar I suggested is that the ceiling is at least 4 - 5 metres, ventilation is good, and the walls, not counting the nearest one, are something like 20 and 100 metres away! Come to think about it, bring your own favourite chair!

Come on, extract the digit, I'm also leaving my family behind on a precious weekend day to go all the way into BCN. If 11:00 doesn't suit, I expect we'll be there for a good hour or two before wanting to eat som
... See more
A comment for Berni - One of the reasons for the bar I suggested is that the ceiling is at least 4 - 5 metres, ventilation is good, and the walls, not counting the nearest one, are something like 20 and 100 metres away! Come to think about it, bring your own favourite chair!

Come on, extract the digit, I'm also leaving my family behind on a precious weekend day to go all the way into BCN. If 11:00 doesn't suit, I expect we'll be there for a good hour or two before wanting to eat something.

Anyone else going to be there??
Collapse

MICHAIL ALEXELLIS
MICHAIL ALEXELLIS
Spain
Spanish to Greek
+ ...
Count me in ! Dec 11, 2001

Count me in !
At around 11.30 since I will be coming from Vallgorguina, Sant Celoni / Montseny, somewhere between Girona and Barna.
Hey ! I do not smoke either.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Powwow: Barcelona - Spain

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »