Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Powwow: Barcelona - Spain

This discussion belongs to Powwows » "Powwow: Barcelona - Spain".
You can see the powwows page and participate in this discussion from there.

ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Have two Nov 26, 2001

Hi all.

Patrick's proposal sounded so good I almost wanted to go from here. That notwithstanding, the idea with powwows is that they should not require much planning or effort.

Have the masia thing. At the same time, one of the people who can't make it should suggest a coffee or restaurant get-together in town, as a separate powwow. If you can't all meet at this event, maybe you'll meet at the next. It seems like there is enough interest that these can continue.
<
... See more
Hi all.

Patrick's proposal sounded so good I almost wanted to go from here. That notwithstanding, the idea with powwows is that they should not require much planning or effort.

Have the masia thing. At the same time, one of the people who can't make it should suggest a coffee or restaurant get-together in town, as a separate powwow. If you can't all meet at this event, maybe you'll meet at the next. It seems like there is enough interest that these can continue.

In other words, I agree with Berni.

Beyond that, you all in the Barcelona area have inspired me to create a polling option in these forums. (Unfortunately it won't be ready soon...)
Collapse

fabyannys (X)
fabyannys (X)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
impossible Nov 26, 2001

the 15th is impossible for me, so, maybe next meeting can be in Barcelona, as proposed by Jaume. Then I will be able to assist. The 15th the Circulo Hispano Belga is organising a "Fiesta de San Nicolás" for the Belgium (or other nationality) children living in Catalonia.

Jaume de Marcos Andreu
Jaume de Marcos Andreu
Spain
Local time: 19:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
Let's keep united Nov 26, 2001

Hi all,
I think that the best choice is that those who are willing to go to the masia in Sant Sadurni meet there, and later we may have a second meeting elsewhere.

I won't go to Sant Sadurni but I will certainly do my best to attend a second meeting.

Sean Lyle
Sean Lyle  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Location (lo de menos) Nov 27, 2001

I'm happy with either, but I like the sound of being out of BCN a lot better - I live out of town (40 mins) like a lot of other people, and only go in for business, so for me it's all travel, travel, travel.
I also think that if we are going to meet once, we can also meet again, but it would be nice if there could be at least some overlap of participants. Come to that, it's not a bad idea to try to get to the Madrid meeting, too.

Tracy Byrne
Tracy Byrne  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Yet another opinion! Nov 28, 2001

I live practically nextdoor to Patrick, so obviously vote for the Masía option, but think 2 meetings are best to start with, so everyone can get to at least one. Could the BCN meeting be on a different day for those who would like to go to both?

patrick32
patrick32  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
"El Trapiche" a great day, a great place and as I said before,a unique experience! Nov 29, 2001

Hi all,
I would like all those who are interested in coming to the Masia on Saturday the 15th to send me an e-mail so that I can have a rough idea of the amount of people that will attend. We seem to be going round and round, when the idea is for all to meet and have a great time together. Anyway hope to meet you soon.

patrick32
patrick32  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
"El Trapiche" 15th Dec 3, 2001

Hello All,

Iam having problems with my server. Those of you who have been sending e-mails to the address: [email protected], and haven't receiveda repply, please re send your confirmation of attendance e-mails to: [email protected], until further notice.

Thanks,

Patrick

Thierry LOTTE
Thierry LOTTE  Identity Verified
Member (2001)
English to French
+ ...
Information needed Dec 4, 2001

Would like to know where and when exactly this event will take place. Thanks for your info. Best regards to all
Thierry LOTTE
(evazerka)

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Can't make it... Dec 7, 2001

I am afraid I have to withdraw, it's this being so near to Christmas on top of a whole series of computer problems, so sorry, and I sincerely hope we have another one very early in the new year.

Ailish

Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
One week left - let's decide now! Please!:) Dec 9, 2001

Hi everyone,

Well, it's now only one week before the famous Barcelona Powwow is to take place. And we are still not sure where it's going to be! I have just spoken to Patrick and he says only 7 or 8 people have confirmed they want to go to his masia in Sant Sadurní. Ideally, he would like there to be about 15 people to make it worthwhile having the barbecue. So, if any of you out there still want to go to Sant Sadurní and haven't let him know, please do so by Tuesday 11th December
... See more
Hi everyone,

Well, it's now only one week before the famous Barcelona Powwow is to take place. And we are still not sure where it's going to be! I have just spoken to Patrick and he says only 7 or 8 people have confirmed they want to go to his masia in Sant Sadurní. Ideally, he would like there to be about 15 people to make it worthwhile having the barbecue. So, if any of you out there still want to go to Sant Sadurní and haven't let him know, please do so by Tuesday 11th December.

If fewer than 15 people sign up, he suggests we find an alternative venue. I know several people proposed meeting in Barcelona, but as far as I know no precise locations were suggested. It's going to be very difficult to find a relatively quiet place with enough space for 15-20 people on a Saturday evening so close to Christmas. I have quite a small flat, but I am sure we could all squeeze in somehow. I couldn't offer a barbecue or anything like that, but we could eat something and chat. Maybe everyone could bring some food and drink and we could share it? It's just a suggestion. Perhaps you would prefer to meet in a bar or restaurant? In this case, can you please say which one, where and when!:)

If you have any ideas or questions, feel free to contact me by e-mail ([email protected]) or by phone 93 455 07 09 (in addition to posting your messages on this powwow site).

I look forward to hearing from you (and hopefully seeing you) soon!

Fins aviat,

Sheila
Collapse

Patricia Posadas
Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
Shall I book my flight? Dec 9, 2001

Hi,everybody!

I need to book a flight tomorrow Monday (if there are some cheap places left)or book a room and have a 6h drive or the like. With the busy life we all have I wouldn't like to find myself wandering alone in Barcelona however nice a city it may beCan you help me decide on this? What's the problem with being 8 or 9 Patrick? I often organise a BBQ for 4 people...
See more
Hi,everybody!

I need to book a flight tomorrow Monday (if there are some cheap places left)or book a room and have a 6h drive or the like. With the busy life we all have I wouldn't like to find myself wandering alone in Barcelona however nice a city it may beCan you help me decide on this? What's the problem with being 8 or 9 Patrick? I often organise a BBQ for 4 people I'd like to meet as many people as possible, at Sant Sadurni or anywhere else! I can't suggest a place since I don't know Barcelona ...

E-mails welcome at: [email protected]
Collapse

Thierry LOTTE
Thierry LOTTE  Identity Verified
Member (2001)
English to French
+ ...
At least, where ?? Dec 10, 2001

Would like to know where and when exactly this event will take place. Thanks for your info. I am a newcomer in that biz and would be delighted to meet my clooagues Best regards to all
Thierry LOTTE
(evazerka)

ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Barcelona powwow Dec 11, 2001

Hi All. Please square away a place and time for your Barcelona powwow, as only a few days remain. I recommend going with two places...in any case, let us (staff) know what you decide...

Henry

Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Les Quinze Nits!! Dec 11, 2001

Hi everyone,

In the end, I am sorry to say Patrick has decided it would be best to cancel the barbecue idea and have the powwow in Barcelona, as too few people have expressed interest in going out to Sant Sadurní.

Therefore, I have a new suggestion - well, it was suggested to me as a good place to meet up by Nikki Graham - why don't we meet on Saturday night around 20.30 (8.30 P.M.) at a restaurant called LES QUINZE NITS in the Plaça Reial (off the Ramblas)? We may h
... See more
Hi everyone,

In the end, I am sorry to say Patrick has decided it would be best to cancel the barbecue idea and have the powwow in Barcelona, as too few people have expressed interest in going out to Sant Sadurní.

Therefore, I have a new suggestion - well, it was suggested to me as a good place to meet up by Nikki Graham - why don't we meet on Saturday night around 20.30 (8.30 P.M.) at a restaurant called LES QUINZE NITS in the Plaça Reial (off the Ramblas)? We may have to queue up for a wee while, as they don't take reservations, but as we don't know know how many people are going to meet it might be best to do things this way.

Les Quinze Nits    

Plaça Reial 6 
Tel.+34 93 317 30 75 

Metro: Liceu (green line)

I hope you will all agree on this venue. If anyone has any objections (such as they found rats in their soup the last time they were there), then speak up now. Otherwise, I propose meeting there on Saturday night. I will try to get there by 20.30 at the latest and grab a table or two if possible.

Hope to see you all there!

Fins aviat!

Sheila

Here are a few links to reviews about this place - most saying how good it is!

http://www.iagora.com/itravel/icities/spain/barcelona/si_food.html?review_id=342

This is one of the best restaurants I have been in Barcelona. The food is great and cheap! You should try the Seafood Fideuá, which is a paella made with very thin pasta. It is simply delicious!!

http://www.schnapp.org/BoSP2K/20000903.html

We have our dinner at Les Quinze Nits (in Plaça Real): gazpacho, "les 15 nits" (brie, greens w/crispy leek roll, croquettes, veggie quiche), octopus w/onions & beans & rice, roast lamb shoulder w/potatoes, bottle of "cava de la casa" (spanish "champagne"), and crema catalana (sabayon with carmelized sugar and a small scoop of strawberry ice cream). True to Tooraj's recommendation (his restaurant recommendations proved to always be bang on!), there was a disconcertingly long line. However, if you watched it for a minute, you would notice that the line moves very fast! The price was excellent ($26!) and so was the food!

http://www.aircrewlayover.com/Cities/BCN/bcn.html

http://www.hotbunk.com/spain/barcelonarestaurant.html

Les Quinze Nits, Placa Reial, Barcelona

Placa Reial is a lively square just off La Rambla and consists almost entirely of bars, restaurants and hotels/hostels. George Michael reputedly offered to pay several million pounds for an apartment overlooking the Placa Reial, but was turned down as the residents decided they wouldn't move for any amount of money.
Sitting outside the al fresco tapas bars you will be 'treated' to a variety of street performers including jugglers, musicians, one fastidious tramp who painstakingly tries to keep his patch free of cigarette butts by sweeping it every few minutes, and even, as witnessed by us, a full scale police chase.
The shining star, however, is the restaurant Les Quinze Nits. Essentially providing northern Catalan/French cuisine this place appears restrictively expensive. The maitre d' rushes in and out complete with a headset so he can be told as soon as a table is free. This restaurant is very, very busy. There is never an empty table and if you go, be prepared to queue for up to an hour. Don't let this put you off though, as Les Quinze Nits is superb and, best of all, ridiculously cheap. You'll find the main topic of conversation amongst Brits in there will be how on earth the place stays in business. In fact, the couple seated next to us took complete advantage of the prices by having a starter, two main meals each and a dessert. They probably didn't need to eat the next day! The starters cost around £3.00 and could pass for a main meal with the amount of food you get. Even the wine is cheap. A bottle of Vina Sol, recently seen in Waitrose for £4.49, costs around £4. The only down side is the lack of attention afforded to diners, this is simply because the staff are so busy, but on a good note you will never be rushed to finish eating. One tip, if you like a drink, is to pick a spirit with only a little left in the bottle. My brandy started as a double but the waiter shrugged his shoulders and dumped the rest of the bottle into my glass - an equivalent of about five measures! Our three course meal for two, consisting of the most expensive things on the menu - asparagus, every type of seafood known, shoulder of lamb, the world's richest chocolate truffles, an Irish Coffee, the LARGE brandy and an equally huge Bailey's (for the lady!), came to just under £25. Amazingly, tips don't even seem to be expected, as the many locals that were there left nothing.
Anyway, if you're in Barcelona, go there. Get there early, be patient, and most importantly try not to eat for a couple of days beforehand and have two meals each.
Collapse

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:19
Spanish to English
Les Quinze Nits Dec 11, 2001

is not expensive you could have a drink and tapas for under 1,000 pesetas.
Sheila, why don't we say that we will definitely be there, and if anyone else wants to come and turn the event into an oficial Powwow, then that would be great. And if not, perhaps we could organise one in the New Year when people are available and Xmas is over!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Powwow: Barcelona - Spain

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »