Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: Which method do you prefer to improve your directory ranking position in your language pair?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 11:55
English to Turkish
Ranking matters Apr 22, 2021

I can't quite understand those who coolly say "oh I don't give a monkeys about my ranking, I already have enough clients etc. etc."
What exactly does paid membership offer you (other than seeing the reviews on BB and accessing the video library, though I'm not sure if this is a privilege reserved for the Plus members) that it doesn't offer to the non-paying members? I'd really like to know what I'm missing out on or ignorant of.
There is a reason why people are willing to pay tons o
... See more
I can't quite understand those who coolly say "oh I don't give a monkeys about my ranking, I already have enough clients etc. etc."
What exactly does paid membership offer you (other than seeing the reviews on BB and accessing the video library, though I'm not sure if this is a privilege reserved for the Plus members) that it doesn't offer to the non-paying members? I'd really like to know what I'm missing out on or ignorant of.
There is a reason why people are willing to pay tons of money (not to mention write stupid articles and annoyingly share them on every social media outlet) to rank somewhere on the first page of Google, and why they say "you can hide a body on the second page of Google".
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Bajram Djambazi
Tom in London
Barbara Carrara

Justin Peterson
Justin Peterson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:55
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
Putting it off and then praying for Divine intervention Apr 22, 2021

Putting it off and then praying for Divine intervention.
That's my strategy.

No, really ... I use proz more to find LSPs for certain projects on which I am a PM than to get work.
I've been swamped with my own translations clients for like ... 10 years.
Even so, I get a few contacts and new clients through my profile, without seeking to bolster it.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis

Janet Muehlbacher
Janet Muehlbacher  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:55
German to English
+ ...
why should there even be a ranking system? Apr 23, 2021

Paying members should all be visible to potential clients, otherwise what's the point of paying for membership?

Korana Lasić
Korana Lasić  Identity Verified
Serbian to English
+ ...
There's nothing wrong in offering a paying memeber more than a non paying one. Apr 23, 2021

Chris S wrote:

Lieven Malaise wrote:
A bit odd to do something you don't have to do and then complain that you're not rewarded for it.

I'm not complaining. I just think it's wrong.

I did pay one year. People kept emailing me. It was hell.

It's a business model as old as the Internet and it's completely transparent because anyone with common sense knows a paying member will have better use of all the site's perks.

Most people consider being a site member a more professional approach to trying to land work through the site. It shows you both can and are willing to invest in better use of this site.

I think kudoz system is rubbish and some of the moderators on proz.com are unprofessional hypocritical hacks, but to accuse them of being unprofessional for offering more to their paying members than non-paying ones is failing to understand the business model.

What non-paying members get is nothing but a way for proz.com to advertise what they can offer to their paying members. They are a work/jobs marketplace site and in no way do they claim that they vet their members in any way. Everyone knows that to be a member you simply pay for it and that gives you more perks in every way, including better visibility. They have other badges for vetted members and to get those certain badges you must go through a vetting process.

When you say it was hell that people kept offering you work the year that you were a paying member just proves once more that you failed to understand what you were paying for.

As a non-profit job marketplace, proz.com and its members would encounter the same problems we encounter now only the people working at a non-profit would have less incentive to resolve the issues and problems.

@prozz staff, I think the feedback, giving it and receiving it, might be the fairest of the three metrics.

Edit: I personally didn't feel that the question implied anything other than kudoz affected our rankings. It simply asked: In theory, if you could choose, which of the three would you prefer?

[Edited at 2021-04-23 08:17 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
How did I get it so wrong? Apr 23, 2021

Korana Lasić wrote:
It's a business model as old as the Internet and it's completely transparent because anyone with common sense knows a paying member will have better use of all the site's perks
When you say it was hell that people kept offering you work the year that you were a paying member just proves once more that you failed to understand what you were paying for.

I thought I was paying for a higher ranking so I would be offered interesting work at sensible rates by new clients.

I was not aware of any other perks of membership that would be of use to me.

Are there any trainings here that could teach me common sense and help me understand what I was really paying for?

P.L.F. Persio
Baran Keki
expressisverbis
Barbara Carrara

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:55
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Ranking it and raking it Apr 23, 2021

that's the question...

EDIT: ok, it should be raking it in, but it didn't sound as good...

[Edited at 2021-04-23 11:59 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Baran Keki
Christopher Schröder
Barbara Carrara

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 04:55
Member (2011)
English to German
@Chris Apr 23, 2021

Chris S wrote:

Are there any trainings here that could teach me common sense and help me understand what I was really paying for?

Absolutely! There's the Plus-subscriber video library with 800+ hours of content. But you will have to purchase the Plus package in order to enjoy the added dimension in your ProZ.com experience...

Josephine Cassar
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 09:55
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Apr 23, 2021

Whether it's on Kudoz, Forums (I didn't know Forums could improve our ranking position!) or anywhere else, I prefer the method of being fair and helpful rather than being opportunistic and worthless.
I don't care much about my ranking, I just let things take their normal course.

Barbara Carrara
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Robert Rietvelt
Peter Shortall
Baran Keki

Korana Lasić
Korana Lasić  Identity Verified
Serbian to English
+ ...
. Apr 23, 2021

[Edited at 2021-04-23 15:42 GMT]

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:55
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
KudoZ is the only way Apr 27, 2021

Answering questions is actually the only one that works. The other methods mentioned do not imporve your ranking position in the list of translators searched by potential clients. If they do, it's very little. And, yes, Chris, you must be a paying member, of course.
But I love when people say it doesn't make a difference. They really have no idea how clients find translators in ProZ. Or perhaps they have other more efficient ways to get clients, which is quite possible. But in ProZ, sorry,
... See more
Answering questions is actually the only one that works. The other methods mentioned do not imporve your ranking position in the list of translators searched by potential clients. If they do, it's very little. And, yes, Chris, you must be a paying member, of course.
But I love when people say it doesn't make a difference. They really have no idea how clients find translators in ProZ. Or perhaps they have other more efficient ways to get clients, which is quite possible. But in ProZ, sorry, but no other way.

[Edited at 2021-04-27 02:39 GMT]
Collapse

Tainá Ferreira

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which method do you prefer to improve your directory ranking position in your language pair?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »