Poll: Which of these client - freelancer scenarios do you find most attractive?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 3, 2019

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Which of these client - freelancer scenarios do you find most attractive?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:09
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Just send me the work, let me translate it, and pay me… Oct 3, 2019

… please. I’ve worked several times with a team of freelancers, both as a leader and as a team member, but I must say that it’s not my most attractive scenario. I don’t care about remaining anonymous or not. I’m not looking for a "partnership", where certain decisions and approaches are reached together (let’s give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar) and something automatic, where no interaction is needed is not my cup of tea, I do need some kind of human interaction, no matter how bri... See more
… please. I’ve worked several times with a team of freelancers, both as a leader and as a team member, but I must say that it’s not my most attractive scenario. I don’t care about remaining anonymous or not. I’m not looking for a "partnership", where certain decisions and approaches are reached together (let’s give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar) and something automatic, where no interaction is needed is not my cup of tea, I do need some kind of human interaction, no matter how brief, because translating can be a very solitary occupation.Collapse

Angus Stewart
Alexandra Speirs
Philippe Etienne
Anna Herbst
Kunal Jaidka
Kevin Fulton
ahartje

reem Hasoneh (X)
reem Hasoneh (X)
Switzerland
Local time: 22:09
Arabic to English
+ ...
It changes ... Oct 3, 2019

I was working as full-time translator for a company for many years ... it was ideal .. I was the team leader so I had a say and worked closely with peers. Then I relocated to another country... I continued to work for the same company but remotely... was ideal too for a while until I missed the active work life and the human interaction .. maybe in few years I’ll miss the routine, predictable an quite virtual environment... But, I know for sure that in this stage I’d vote for interaction and... See more
I was working as full-time translator for a company for many years ... it was ideal .. I was the team leader so I had a say and worked closely with peers. Then I relocated to another country... I continued to work for the same company but remotely... was ideal too for a while until I missed the active work life and the human interaction .. maybe in few years I’ll miss the routine, predictable an quite virtual environment... But, I know for sure that in this stage I’d vote for interaction and actionCollapse

Christine Andersen

Angus Stewart
Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:09
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Just send me the work, let me translate it, and pay me Oct 3, 2019

Its best when things are kept simple.

Philippe Etienne
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Alaa Mahm
Angie Garbarino
Muriel Vasconcellos
Philip Lees

Rita Utt
Rita Utt  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
The partnership concept Oct 3, 2019

is the relationship I have with direct clients (or small agencies ).
It's clearly what I'm looking for and I'm amazed that so few collegues do.

Christine Andersen
Amrita Kumari
Catherine De Crignis

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Verified co-op only Oct 3, 2019

I still can't get it how those self-proclaimed simplicissimus businesspersons "freelancers"--in the digital era of one-click tricks--can so blindly accept unfavourable "ever-newbies tests", "take-or-leave", "discounts", "after 45+ days", "the best rates", and other funny terms from anonymous prospects--without fair trade and double-check or face-to-face communication as an equal party, thus ... See more
I still can't get it how those self-proclaimed simplicissimus businesspersons "freelancers"--in the digital era of one-click tricks--can so blindly accept unfavourable "ever-newbies tests", "take-or-leave", "discounts", "after 45+ days", "the best rates", and other funny terms from anonymous prospects--without fair trade and double-check or face-to-face communication as an equal party, thus unilaterally taking all the costs, the risks, and the full responsibility--and then sincerely lament bitterly over they've been had again?!
(Whatever.)
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Partnership Oct 3, 2019

Partnership very often covers Just send me the work, let me translate it, and pay me, but I have seen too many cases of it degenerating into
Just send me the work, let me translate it, and I´ll wait for the peanuts.

Or the client just finds another translator and disappears into the night.

I tell my clients what I like about them, and I certainly let them know, as constructively as possible, when I feel there is room for improvement. Naturally, I have to accept
... See more
Partnership very often covers Just send me the work, let me translate it, and pay me, but I have seen too many cases of it degenerating into
Just send me the work, let me translate it, and I´ll wait for the peanuts.

Or the client just finds another translator and disappears into the night.

I tell my clients what I like about them, and I certainly let them know, as constructively as possible, when I feel there is room for improvement. Naturally, I have to accept criticism when they treat me the same way, but usually we find an arrangement that suits everyone, and we carry on happily.

I have learnt a lot that way, and some clients at least enter into fruitful discussions and thank me for my point of view.
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Catherine De Crignis

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 15:09
Dutch to English
+ ...
Partnership and team Oct 3, 2019

I like a partnership or collaboration and working in a team. I worked in a team several times and I liked it a lot. But I'm aware that an overly critical team member or one who can't take criticism can spoil the team spirit.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Just send me the work, let me translate it, and pay me… Oct 3, 2019

Like Teresa and Angus

Send me the job, let me work and pay me punctually

typo sorry

[Edited at 2019-10-03 15:54 GMT]

Muriel Vasconcellos
Philip Lees

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:09
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Just send me the work, let me translate it, and pay me ASAP Oct 4, 2019

I don't want to get into conversations with the PM - whether by email, phone, or Skype. Keep it simple.

Philip Lees
Angie Garbarino
Alice Crisan

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Business = Full one-man unassisted (self-reliant) responsibility Oct 5, 2019

As far as one normally can't do without (1) re/checking the prospect and (2) negotiating/making clear the terms/specifications, I can't help wondering about all those self-appointed free*lancers doing "biz" at their own expense with self-named anonymous clients, wildly letting things drift... Anybody can super-easily pretend to be somebody else.

How about at least basic Risk management or just Common sense, if any?
Knock-knock, prospect Cry-babies.

define:undertaker
1 : one who undertakes : one who takes the risk and management of business : entrepreneur.

2 : one whose business is to prepare the dead for burial and to arrange and manage funerals.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:09
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It depends on the type of client Oct 6, 2019

For non-regular clients, "Just send me the work, let me translate it, and pay me ASAP".
For regular clients, it must be a partnership, and both parties MUST understand there is no hierarchy, no boss, no report, terms and prices are negotiated and never imposed. The two parties are in a level of exact equality in all aspects. Otherwise, there is no relationship.

[Edited at 2019-10-06 03:02 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which of these client - freelancer scenarios do you find most attractive?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »