Poll: Would you say that client - translator relationships have changed a lot in the last 5 years?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 24, 2019

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Would you say that client - translator relationships have changed a lot in the last 5 years?".

View the poll results »

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:08
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Not really Sep 24, 2019

Although more and more clients move to platforms or portals where documents can be downloaded and uploaded, I usually insist on "personal" communication with the PM via email as well. I have seen agencies who only work through portals, but I don't tend to accept work from them. I want to be able to communicate with my clients, both for practical purposes and because I enjoy human contact more than portals and buttons.

Colette Magalowski
neilmac
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Paul van Zijll
Giovana Zaltron
Kitty Brussaard
Philippe Etienne

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not really Sep 24, 2019

Some of the universities I work with now require a pro forma estimate before authorising any translation or revision work. Once the estimate is approved, I get the go-ahead for the work and then bill them as usual once it is delivered. I raised my rates by 20% to compensate for the extra admin involved, so I don't mind the added hassle.

Apart from that, my relationships with clients have stayed more or less the same.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:08
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not really Sep 24, 2019

I’ve been working with the same agencies for a long time, the longest being since 1986, but even with new clients I haven’t seen any significant change…

Katja Schoone

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Doubleask Sep 24, 2019

IF it's about real (end/ultimate) clients, then it's still the same for they just want to have their job done (1) timely, (2) properly, and (3) as agreed.

IF it's about agencies (middlemen), my colleagues say the conditions really worsened globally for even 'reputable' agencies in developed countries go crazy finding faults and demanding silly things just to cut or defer the payment.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Not really at least noto in the last 5 years Sep 24, 2019

In my opinion everything changed thanks to the Internet.
Well, we were considered as experts, valuable people who offered a valuable service, now, with a lot of people who use google translate e other stuff like that, we are considered just as people who offer a service.. and if they do not like the price... well, look out there how many people want to work! Do they have the necessary skills? NO? who cares! they are cheap!

[Edited at 2019-09-25 04:31 GMT]

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:08
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, it did Sep 24, 2019

The improvemeent of CATs and MTs has changed our market a lot, and is still changing it.
Agencies now have rates for repetitions and for MTPE included in their registration forms. These things (unfortunately) have become standard in the past few years, and that changes the relationship because it changes the terms negotiated and it is a cause of a bit more attriction between the parties.
In addition, the internet and networking techniques are allowing many unqualified people to ente
... See more
The improvemeent of CATs and MTs has changed our market a lot, and is still changing it.
Agencies now have rates for repetitions and for MTPE included in their registration forms. These things (unfortunately) have become standard in the past few years, and that changes the relationship because it changes the terms negotiated and it is a cause of a bit more attriction between the parties.
In addition, the internet and networking techniques are allowing many unqualified people to enter the market and make money in something they're not really capable of doing correctly. This number increases amazingly year after year. That also affects negotiations and relationships, as most agencies see an opportunity to lower rates gradually.
We've been resising bravely so far, but we know we can't hold economic trends for too long.
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Nikolay Novitskiy
Eckhard Boehle

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:08
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Sep 25, 2019

I agree with all that Mario says. Five years ago I could still negotiate my rate with agencies, but my list of agency clients has shrunk considerably because they are expecting to pay less. Fortunately, most of my work is for international organizations, which continue to raise their rates a little bit each year or so. Otherwise I'd be working harder for less money.

Mario Freitas

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:08
German to English
+ ...
no, including "middlemen", because.... Sep 25, 2019

... the relationship is also determined by the translator. If you won't do work under some conditions that a client wants to impose (middlemen / agencies also being client) then your working relationship will stay as it was.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you say that client - translator relationships have changed a lot in the last 5 years?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »