Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How many jobs would you say you have completed so far this year?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:25
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
@Mario Sep 19, 2019

Mario Freitas wrote:
I had 93 jobs so far and 917,000 words.
Olly had 101 jobs and 242,000 words.
Samuel had 650 jobs, which shows he does a lot of very small jobs and very few big ones.

Exactly. And how is this significant difference "meaningless"?

You seem to be thinking this poll is about how much we work or "how many words we translate" (in which case the number of jobs would indeed be meaningless). But that's not what the questions is about. It gives an indication of how many of us are working on large projects and how many of us are working on lots of small jobs.

Christine Andersen

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 02:25
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
The number of words is less interesting IMHO Sep 19, 2019

Word counts for the same text vary from language to language - I would love to know the difference between German and Spanish, Thomas?

Do you count all the words, as one of my clients does, or how do you count fuzzies and repetitions? The ´how many words´ question has to be qualified, or you end up selling elastic by the metre, as the Danes say.

The jobs question needs to be expanded too.
Are you satisfied with the number of jobs you have, large or small? I lik
... See more
Word counts for the same text vary from language to language - I would love to know the difference between German and Spanish, Thomas?

Do you count all the words, as one of my clients does, or how do you count fuzzies and repetitions? The ´how many words´ question has to be qualified, or you end up selling elastic by the metre, as the Danes say.

The jobs question needs to be expanded too.
Are you satisfied with the number of jobs you have, large or small? I like the small jobs, and only work part time. You could not support a family here in northern Europe on my earnings this year, but I am making a nice contribution in tax to the Danish welfare state, so I hope everyone is happy! (And I get to go on weekends with friends or walks round my home when I like - I am happy!)
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Neither satisfied nor dissatisfied Sep 19, 2019

Christine Andersen wrote:
Are you satisfied with the number of jobs you have, large or small?

It makes little difference to me. If we are going to talk about satisfaction, then I'd more concerned with what percentage of time I spend on income-generating activities during times when I *should have been* spending time on income-generating activities.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Broadening one's perspective Sep 19, 2019

While the number of jobs doesn't reflect any productivity or income performance, I've found it (past tense: some contributors here had disclosed such figures in a previous poll or thread) enlightening that the range spans a few dozens to a thousand and more.

With about 600/year as my "record" if I remember well (in +/-2005), I already felt overwhelmed with a manual Excel registering process and associated follow-up. This led me to switch to a software package in order to automate an
... See more
While the number of jobs doesn't reflect any productivity or income performance, I've found it (past tense: some contributors here had disclosed such figures in a previous poll or thread) enlightening that the range spans a few dozens to a thousand and more.

With about 600/year as my "record" if I remember well (in +/-2005), I already felt overwhelmed with a manual Excel registering process and associated follow-up. This led me to switch to a software package in order to automate and streamline my admin.

As much as I wouldn't mind delivering fewer jobs, one surely need serious admin abilities, and a mouse with a scrolling wheel, to handle 5+ deliveries per working day on average.

Philippe
Collapse

Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
This year I've done long translations Sep 19, 2019

I don't know how many jobs I've done so far this year, but I added up my earnings for January to August, and then I divided the total by my normal rate. In eight months, I translated nearly 385,000 words and issued 47 invoices.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many jobs would you say you have completed so far this year?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »