Poll: Do you use your computer or the internet in a language other than your native language?
Téma indítója: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 18:41
MUNKATÁRS
Sep 16

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you use your computer or the internet in a language other than your native language?".

View the poll results »

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Dánia
Local time: 03:41
Tag (2003 óta)
dán - angol
+ ...
Yes of course, I am a linguist... Sep 16

I use the Internet quite as much in Danish - my language of habitual usage, language of the heart… as English, which is my native language. However, I also conduct searches in Swedish or Norwegian, and occasionally French or German.
Or even Italian, now that I am trying to learn the language.

What drives me mad is trying to persuade the browser that I do NOT want everything translated into Danish
... See more
I use the Internet quite as much in Danish - my language of habitual usage, language of the heart… as English, which is my native language. However, I also conduct searches in Swedish or Norwegian, and occasionally French or German.
Or even Italian, now that I am trying to learn the language.

What drives me mad is trying to persuade the browser that I do NOT want everything translated into Danish
Oh for good old Alta Vista, which accepted my language setting and did not assume it knew better than me!

By setting the language to Danish and searching for an English term (or the reverse) I could come up with a handful of spot-on hits that were worth more than millions of the kind I was not looking for.

If you ARE looking for a needle in a haystack, try using a magnet!
(It works if you drop a needle on our living-room carpet, which has a good pattern for hiding needles )

Before I get further off topic, have a good translating week, everyone!
Collapse

Alexandra Speirs
neilmac
Yetta J Bogarde
Kay Denney
Michele Fauble
Laura Bissio CT

Ian Keith Jones Williams  Identity Verified
Spanyolország
ProZ.com-tag
német - angol
+ ...
As a translator and linguist Sep 16

I think it would be a little strange not to.

Alexandra Speirs
neilmac
Ana Cravidao
Teresa Borges
Axelle Hawkins
Angus Stewart
Thayenga

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spanyolország
spanyol - angol
+ ...
Yes Sep 16

Mainly in my source language (EU Spanish) and my own native English, although I sometimes use Google translate to help with other languages.

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
Egyesült Államok
Local time: 18:41
Tag (2003 óta)
spanyol - angol
+ ...
Yes Sep 16

I do a lot of reading and writing in Portuguese, which is a one of my source languages.

I also text a lot in Portuguese on my cell. This messes up my predictive spell-checker: I get English suggestions when I'm writing in Portuguese and Portuguese suggestions when I'm writing in English.

[Edited at 2019-09-16 11:15 GMT]

Teresa Borges
Portugália
Local time: 02:41
Tag (2007 óta)
angol - portugál
+ ...
Yes Sep 16

I use the Internet in my 4 source languages (quite often in English and French, much less in Spanish and Italian) and in my target language (European Portuguese)…

Antonio Santos  Identity Verified
Brazília
ProZ.com-tag
angol - portugál
Sure. Sep 16

I do. =D

Kay Denney  Identity Verified
Franciaország
Tag (2018 óta)
francia - angol
. Sep 16

Well of course! As for Christine, substituting French for Danish basically.

Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazília
Local time: 00:41
Tag (2014 óta)
angol - portugál
+ ...
Yes, all in English Sep 17

Everything is in English. English is the original language the software was produced in. All translations are poor if compared to the original, and there are several disastrous translations of certain terms and expressions that really make me angry. Using everything in English you eliminate these issues and the anger

Kaspars Melkis
Jaime Oriard

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

A fórum moderátora(i)
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use your computer or the internet in a language other than your native language?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Terminológiai keresés
  • Munkák
  • Fórumok
  • Multiple search