Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How do you feel about post-editing machine translation (PEMT)?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:13
Member (2004)
English to French
I hate it Aug 12, 2019

I tried it with a few agencies, and it was (censored). Never more.

LIZ LI
LIZ LI  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 17:13
French to Chinese
+ ...
Curious Aug 12, 2019

Teresa Borges wrote:

Let’s start by saying that I don’t enjoy editing or proofreading other’s work as much as enjoy translating and so what I feel about PEMT is tainted from the very beginning.

Totally agreed! Just do NOT like it.

Yet, I was extremely curious about how far the "M" can go before my first assignment of PEMT. So it went like:
1st attempt: Still curious but trying to find the logic,
2nd: Not that interesting and just retranslating instead of proofreading,
3rd: Glad to find out that I will NOT be replaced for 5+ years at least.

But then an online CAT of a LSP listed in global top 10 surprised me lately. I was assigned to a translation job... and it then became a PEMT job as their "M" translated it quiet nicely with not so much to retouch. And it's a small text in social science! From a roman language to Asian characters!!!

I still don't believe this, so I am trying to get a 2nd job from this same agency to see what will turn out next time. And I do hope our colleagues working in language pairs like Japanese, Korean, Arab... to share opinions of their experiences.

Patrice
Patrice  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:13
French to English
+ ...
Other Aug 12, 2019

In theory, PEMT should take some of the drudgery out of routine translation and free humans up to touch up the translations for style and so forth.

I took a couple of PEMT assignments a few years back and they were painful and very time-consuming. I have not accepted such assignments since.

I think the secret is in the prep. If a good terminology base is provided, PEMT might be okay, especially for assignments like catalogues and very technical documents.

... See more
In theory, PEMT should take some of the drudgery out of routine translation and free humans up to touch up the translations for style and so forth.

I took a couple of PEMT assignments a few years back and they were painful and very time-consuming. I have not accepted such assignments since.

I think the secret is in the prep. If a good terminology base is provided, PEMT might be okay, especially for assignments like catalogues and very technical documents.

I think, at this point, it is still necessary to employ a translator to do the necessary prep.
Collapse

Eric Lu
Eric Lu
China
Local time: 17:13
English to Chinese
+ ...
Inevitable Aug 13, 2019

“Post-editing is possibly the oldest form of human-machine cooperation for translation, having been a common practice for just about as long as operational machine translation systems have existed. ” Many translators including me seem not to like it much, but obviously MT is getting better and better and the clients would love to reduce costs, so it' s an inevitable trend.

Mario Freitas

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do you feel about post-editing machine translation (PEMT)?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »