Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: What do you usually do when you receive a job with a very low rate?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Amir Arzani
Amir Arzani
Iran
Local time: 14:27
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Refer them to colleagues who Apr 20, 2018

tend to be more agreeable and accept lower rates. Just because I am fortunate enough to have my consistent flow clients doesn't mean I should become so full of my self to not respond or reject an offer.

Ana Vozone
Ana Vozone  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:57
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Apr 20, 2018

I often reply with a very short message: "You must be joking!"

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:57
German to English
+ ...
an impossibility because.... Apr 20, 2018

It's the professional who is being hired who states his or her rate. The question might be turned around to clients: "What do you usually do when you inquire about a job, and the rate you're quoted is higher than expected?"

Of course I do get inquiries from clients who "quote" me the rate that they expect to pay me, but technically that isn't receiving a job with a low rate. It is being contacted by someone who doesn't understand the customer-provider relationship, or is hoping. I
... See more
It's the professional who is being hired who states his or her rate. The question might be turned around to clients: "What do you usually do when you inquire about a job, and the rate you're quoted is higher than expected?"

Of course I do get inquiries from clients who "quote" me the rate that they expect to pay me, but technically that isn't receiving a job with a low rate. It is being contacted by someone who doesn't understand the customer-provider relationship, or is hoping. In that case I state my fee - they may say "but we usually pay" - I say "but I charge"- and they usually go away.
Collapse

Rahaf ziad
Rahaf ziad  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 13:57
Arabic to English
+ ...
Other Apr 21, 2018

I used to turn the job politely, now adays i am sweeping the floor with the one who is sending inhumane offers. Such as working for $ 5 per hour !

Michel Virasolvy
Michel Virasolvy  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:57
English to French
+ ...
Ignore/Decline the job Apr 21, 2018

In 2012 when I started my business I was very much in the market-focused mindset, "start low then raise your rates, the clients will accept". Guess what? If you start low, you can't raise your rates unless you know your clients almost on a personal, BFF level. Unless the job is outstandingly interesting, trash the email or stand your grounds. In France freelancers are microbusinesses, which means you call the shots and you'd better have adequate rates and Terms of Service to sustain you... See more
In 2012 when I started my business I was very much in the market-focused mindset, "start low then raise your rates, the clients will accept". Guess what? If you start low, you can't raise your rates unless you know your clients almost on a personal, BFF level. Unless the job is outstandingly interesting, trash the email or stand your grounds. In France freelancers are microbusinesses, which means you call the shots and you'd better have adequate rates and Terms of Service to sustain your lifestyle.Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What do you usually do when you receive a job with a very low rate?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »