Poll: Do you find it difficult to stay up to date with news and tech related to your work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 6, 2018

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you find it difficult to stay up to date with news and tech related to your work?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:49
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other (it depends...) Apr 6, 2018

I believe I’m up-to-date with news regarding my activity, but with the speed at which technology is changing, it can be difficult to stay informed about everything that is happening. Anyway, it seems that everything revolves around CAT tools and apps in general and I’m not interested in those…

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:49
English to Italian
I do not really try... Apr 6, 2018

Simply I am always focused on deadlines and do not even try to stay up to date.
I get information, but really it is not my priority, although I know I should pay more attention.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 15:49
Japanese to English
I don't try Apr 6, 2018

"Do I have work?" "Can I deliver it on time?" "Is my computer working?" Those are the only questions that concern me when it comes to translation news and technology.

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOC alerts Apr 6, 2018

I try to read or scan the table of contents of several scientific journals on a weekly basis. If there is anything that looks like it might be relevant to me, I usually read the summary or larger parts of the paper, if available. Even if it is not directly relevant to me, it usually turns out to be interesting and it keeps me sharp and generally up to date in my fields (life sciences, medicine, pharmacy).

Jasa Pipan
Jasa Pipan
Slovenia
French to Slovenian
+ ...
I keep up to date with what concerns my main translation fields ... Apr 6, 2018

... but mostly law, since the changes there are usually really important for the outcome of translations. Otherwise, I don't bother that much - if something is really required from me, it'll find its way to me ...

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:49
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Apr 7, 2018

Same as Teresa.

I have no problem staying up with news related to most of the subject matter I translate (though I admit that genetics is an uphill learning curve) and I know enough computer technology to do my work. But I don't even try to keep abreast of innovations in CAT tools because they don't interest me that much.

[Edited at 2018-04-07 07:23 GMT]

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:49
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Filters! Apr 7, 2018

In order to stay up to date with the market and trends, we must be able to set effective filters to define what is actually usefull among an ocean of useless stuff and people trying to push stuff on you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you find it difficult to stay up to date with news and tech related to your work?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »