Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Would you make a good language teacher?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
perhaps Apr 3, 2018

I did work as a teacher, but I neither liked it, nor felt obliged to those, who didn't care.
However, I was relatively successful as a tutor.

Anyway, I consider myself more as a mentor or a lecturer, who only provides the material and explains related things, and it's up to students to 'internalize' it properly--for Life is the only teacher.

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 20:47
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes Apr 3, 2018

I am a good language teacher but I was trained as a teacher so this might not come as a great surprise. Teaching is a separate skill, in many cases your subject knowledge is less important than your teaching skills. Many years ago I was persuaded to teach piano (I am a trained piano teacher as well, however, I am not a great performer). My students made a very good progress which surprised me at first but then I realised that teaching languages and piano has, in fact, a lot in common.

Bora Taşdemir
Bora Taşdemir  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:47
Member (2012)
English to Turkish
+ ...
As a Turkish person I taught Swiss people English! Apr 4, 2018

I was teaching Swiss people English 2 years ago, and I was pretty successful! I was saying sentences in English and translating into German - it was a great brain-exercise for me and I was having fun. My students loved me back then! And I was so successful that other English teacher colleagues plotted me to send me away from Migros Klubschule-Thun, so that they could get more classes Haha! After I learned that, I just quit, beca... See more
I was teaching Swiss people English 2 years ago, and I was pretty successful! I was saying sentences in English and translating into German - it was a great brain-exercise for me and I was having fun. My students loved me back then! And I was so successful that other English teacher colleagues plotted me to send me away from Migros Klubschule-Thun, so that they could get more classes Haha! After I learned that, I just quit, because the money they were paying was much lower than what I earn with translation and it was not worth staying there and fighting for it... It was just sad for my happy and enthusiastic students, but the institution didn't want to do anything about it and it was their fault.

And for the record: I have never been to an English-speaking country. Never!
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:47
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not anymore Apr 4, 2018

I tried it before, for three long years. First, I taught English in high-school for two years. Later, I taught English in language courses for one year. In both cases, a thorough deception. Young students couldn't care less for it. They are either learning because they are obliged to (in school) or because they are forced to by their parents (in the courses). The only exception is teaching adults. That's where you get some results.
I do not have the patience to explain the exact same thin
... See more
I tried it before, for three long years. First, I taught English in high-school for two years. Later, I taught English in language courses for one year. In both cases, a thorough deception. Young students couldn't care less for it. They are either learning because they are obliged to (in school) or because they are forced to by their parents (in the courses). The only exception is teaching adults. That's where you get some results.
I do not have the patience to explain the exact same thing five times and still hear the students doing it all wrong. I'm sorry, but this is NOT how the human brain works. I'm not there for lazy bums.
So thank you, but no. Not anymore, since 2005.

[Edited at 2018-04-04 06:57 GMT]
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:47
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Apr 5, 2018

I was a teacher of translation for many years. I enjoyed it, and I think I was effective. At least the students said so. For some reason my supervisor refused to show me the feedback forms that students fill out at the end of the semester.

I wouldn't be interested in teaching English, so that means I wouldn't be a good language teacher.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you make a good language teacher?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »