Poll: Do you find it helpful having a webpage or a blog to get more jobs as a freelance translator?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 24, 2017

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you find it helpful having a webpage or a blog to get more jobs as a freelance translator?".

This poll was originally submitted by Jina Yeo. View the poll results »

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:22
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jun 24, 2017

There was no in-between option. My website got me my best client ever and a couple of others. It hasn't been a key tool for my business, but I wouldn't dream of *not* having one. It's the professional thing to do.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 16:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jun 24, 2017

Thankfully, I've never had to seek more jobs this way, and currently have more than enough work to keep me going. I basically regard blogging as something people do as a kind of hobby or self-promotion they do when they haven't got any real (i.e. paying) work, and I don't see how a website would be useful to me, professionally or otherwise.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:22
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Ditto Jun 24, 2017

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

It hasn't been a key tool for my business, but I wouldn't dream of *not* having one. It's the professional thing to do.

It’s one more marketing tool to elevate your presence in the market and help bring customers to you.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:22
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
My web site is my major source of NEW clients Jun 24, 2017

It took a while, I'd say 7-8 years after the present version was up, for my web site to become my major source of new clients.

Of course, I had to pack it with lots of useful information to make it rise naturally in search engines, without investing any $$$ in short-lived SEO campaigns. I mean, they must be short-lived if there's a way to actually buy your way to the top, and anyone can
... See more
It took a while, I'd say 7-8 years after the present version was up, for my web site to become my major source of new clients.

Of course, I had to pack it with lots of useful information to make it rise naturally in search engines, without investing any $$$ in short-lived SEO campaigns. I mean, they must be short-lived if there's a way to actually buy your way to the top, and anyone can do so.

Two friends of mine, both Brazilian translators, invested heavily on blogs. IMO a blog implies a commitment to publish new material every day, or every week. Who has time for that? They had tremendous success, became extremely popular in the industry, but eventually gave up after some years.

One organized the content of his blog into a best-selling book in the translation industry.
The other reduced the frequency of his daily posts to weekly.

I chose what might be called a PLOG, a permanent log with articles, not associated to the date they were published. If anything changes, I can always go back there and update.
Collapse

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Does everyone have locks on their doors? Jun 24, 2017

I know I do. I've never been burgled, and I hope I never am, but I would be crazy if I didn't. It's the same with having a website/blog. You may never receive a response, but then again, you very well just may. So, why rule out that possibility?

As for not having time for blogging...you have to make time. With that argument you could say you don't have time for invoicing or proofreading!

You can always write several posts and schedule them. You can also quote an article
... See more
I know I do. I've never been burgled, and I hope I never am, but I would be crazy if I didn't. It's the same with having a website/blog. You may never receive a response, but then again, you very well just may. So, why rule out that possibility?

As for not having time for blogging...you have to make time. With that argument you could say you don't have time for invoicing or proofreading!

You can always write several posts and schedule them. You can also quote an article snd write a few sentences about it. Where there's a will, there's a way.
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Jun 25, 2017

This poll has been posted less than two weeks ago. Repetitiveness should be a concern.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you find it helpful having a webpage or a blog to get more jobs as a freelance translator?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »