Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How many Blue Board ratings have you made for outsourcers you've worked with?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Damien Poussier
Damien Poussier  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:31
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
reply Jun 21, 2017

Alejandro Cavalitto wrote:
I looked into this and found that one of your negative LWA ratings was removed after payment was received. Since you stated in your entry that payment had not been made, it was no longer accurate.

I had that happen to me as well.
With that kind of system, a client could withold all payments until someone complains on the BB, pay that one person, have their rating deleted and continue stealing people's work.

That one time I had my complaint deleted made me realise Proz is not actually on the freelancers' side.

[Edited at 2017-06-21 13:17 GMT]

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:31
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Always Jun 21, 2017

I rate every one of my customers in the Blue Board, as soon as I receive the first payment. The Blue Board is extremely useful for me, and I check all potential/new clients there. It's my first reference. If the average rate of an agency in the past 12 months is below 4.6, I simply ignore the requests/contacts.
Therefore, I should obviously rate all my clients, as this is how the BB becomes useful for the community.

It's pretty weird that some people (at least two in this pol
... See more
I rate every one of my customers in the Blue Board, as soon as I receive the first payment. The Blue Board is extremely useful for me, and I check all potential/new clients there. It's my first reference. If the average rate of an agency in the past 12 months is below 4.6, I simply ignore the requests/contacts.
Therefore, I should obviously rate all my clients, as this is how the BB becomes useful for the community.

It's pretty weird that some people (at least two in this poll) only think of using the BB to make negative comments. If everyone thought the same way, all agencies would have terrible rates, and the BB would be useless.

[Edited at 2017-06-21 02:23 GMT]
Collapse

Chié_JP
Chié_JP
Japan
Local time: 10:31
Member (2013)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Accuracy and weight Jun 21, 2017

Come to think of it you may need weighted evaluation. When agency has constant job to you and on time payment practice of 30 days, the value of 5 should NOT be the all same with those of one-off agency for a 5-dollar job with 60 days payment terms. IF these are the same, 5 dollar agency who wants to split jobs seeking "best rates" may look better than honest agencies on Blue Board.

Thayenga wrote:

The only time I make entries is after at least half a dozen projects and when everything went smoothly. Personally, I don't believe in the "back scratching policy". Since I do look at the BB before I accept a job from an unknown customer, I'd like to think that (most of) the entries are honest and based on solid facts, that is, (to a certain degree) being genuine information that helps translators to "evaluate" the customer a little better.

I know that this might be a little blue-eyed, at least when it comes to certain agencies that produce some 10 "5" ratings out of the blue after a couple "1" ratings, but as professionals only true entries should be made after a longer collaboration with that customer.

[Edited at 2017-06-20 15:24 GMT]

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
quite a few Jun 21, 2017

I left negative comments about one client and he kept sending me nasty emails. calling me "emotional" and all kinds of rubbish. I still think he treated me pretty shoddily. In the case of other negative ratings I have just rated 1 and asked people to contact me for further details.

Georgie Scott
Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Timing Jun 21, 2017

Damien Poussier wrote:

Alejandro Cavalitto wrote:
I looked into this and found that one of your negative LWA ratings was removed after payment was received. Since you stated in your entry that payment had not been made, it was no longer accurate.

I had that happen to me as well.
With that kind of system, a client could withold all payments until someone complains on the BB, pay that one person, have their rating deleted and continue stealing people's work.

That one time I had my complaint deleted made me realise Proz is not actually on the frellancers' side.

I agree. Making payment after receiving a negative BB entry does not make a company reliable. If the entry states that payment has not been made, it will always be accurate for that date. Until someone invents time travel (and presumably uses it to exploit others for their own profit).

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
There is a difference Jun 21, 2017

Chie. I wrote:

Come to think of it you may need weighted evaluation. When agency has constant job to you and on time payment practice of 30 days, the value of 5 should NOT be the all same with those of one-off agency for a 5-dollar job with 60 days payment terms. IF these are the same, 5 dollar agency who wants to split jobs seeking "best rates" may look better than honest agencies on Blue Board.

Thayenga wrote:

The only time I make entries is after at least half a dozen projects and when everything went smoothly. Personally, I don't believe in the "back scratching policy". Since I do look at the BB before I accept a job from an unknown customer, I'd like to think that (most of) the entries are honest and based on solid facts, that is, (to a certain degree) being genuine information that helps translators to "evaluate" the customer a little better.

I know that this might be a little blue-eyed, at least when it comes to certain agencies that produce some 10 "5" ratings out of the blue after a couple "1" ratings, but as professionals only true entries should be made after a longer collaboration with that customer.

[Edited at 2017-06-20 15:24 GMT]

Aside from the fact that I wouldn't accept a one-time UDD 5.00 job with 60 days' payment terms, and as I've stated, it takes more than 1 job for me to make an entry (with very rare exceptions).

Those agencies, and there is one in particular that I know of, trade good WWA's for good LWA's. This is one of the reasons why I always read (almost) all WWA's, especially the 1 or 2 ratings, and sometimes even do a brief cross-check to see if the 5-ratings were favors.

[Edited at 2017-06-21 09:55 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many Blue Board ratings have you made for outsourcers you've worked with?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »