Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you think that raising kids can be an obstacle to succeeding as a freelance translator?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 01:27
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Career or children/career and children? May 21, 2017

There are people who will argue that only stay at home mums are allowed to raise children, they despise working mums. On the other hand, there are women who think that staying at home will make them less intelligent. There is no answer to the question, what is the best for the children. And freelancing work is still work, I guess, it is all about priorities. Freelancers are a bit more privilged because they decline projects and they do not need to commute (unless you are an interpreter) but agai... See more
There are people who will argue that only stay at home mums are allowed to raise children, they despise working mums. On the other hand, there are women who think that staying at home will make them less intelligent. There is no answer to the question, what is the best for the children. And freelancing work is still work, I guess, it is all about priorities. Freelancers are a bit more privilged because they decline projects and they do not need to commute (unless you are an interpreter) but again, if you say ''no'' too often, you may lose clients. It is all about balancing and inidvidual priorities.Collapse

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 16:27
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
none of your business May 22, 2017

ikeda45 wrote:

I have no kids and am not interested in having kids at all, but I would despise myself if I ever think them as an obstacle to my career or anything in my life.

As a mother of 4 living children and a of a 5th lost, I think this is one of the ... question ever asked.
I think none of your business whether I do have children or I decided for whatever reason not have any.
I think such poll questions shall not allowed, for many reasons. Please, do not generate more problems or, at least, ask questions not related to privacy and our children.

200w_d

[Edited at 2017-05-22 00:46 GMT]

Amlaku Eshetie
Amlaku Eshetie
United States
Local time: 09:27
English to Amharic
+ ...
It all depends on the circumstances May 22, 2017

I do have children and give them time, especially for their education. However, as I am a father, the burden of caring for them - taking care of their nourishments and other engagements, is all on my wife. So, I say, it may be a little more difficult for mothers.

It all varies, however, according to the strength of the father/mother doing both raising children and freelancing jobs and the number of children as well as the availability of other helping people in the family.
... See more
I do have children and give them time, especially for their education. However, as I am a father, the burden of caring for them - taking care of their nourishments and other engagements, is all on my wife. So, I say, it may be a little more difficult for mothers.

It all varies, however, according to the strength of the father/mother doing both raising children and freelancing jobs and the number of children as well as the availability of other helping people in the family.

I love children and am missing my kids (as am away from them now).
Collapse

Francesca Grandinetti
Francesca Grandinetti
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Divorced single mum May 22, 2017

neilmac wrote:

From experience, my colleagues who are still in the process of rasing their offspring are often unable to commit to "urgent" jobs with shorter deadlines - which is about 80% of any work I might be able to pass their way. The situation is even worse for single parents.

Divorced, single mum, freelance. Proudly raising my 7 year old daughter and living on our own. I'm the breadwinner and I work with short, medium and long deadlines.

When in need, we go to the Nonni (my parents) so I can work at night, too.

Never understimate the power of single Mums

Francesca Grandinetti
Francesca Grandinetti
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Agree May 22, 2017

Erzsébet Czopyk wrote:

ikeda45 wrote:

I have no kids and am not interested in having kids at all, but I would despise myself if I ever think them as an obstacle to my career or anything in my life.

As a mother of 4 living children and a of a 5th lost, I think this is one of the ... question ever asked.
I think none of your business whether I do have children or I decided for whatever reason not have any.
I think such poll questions shall not allowed, for many reasons. Please, do not generate more problems or, at least, ask questions not related to privacy and our children.

200w_d

Agree on everything.

A hug to you, Erzsébet.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
polls are not compulsory May 22, 2017

ikeda45 wrote:

I have kids. They have been both a huge obstacle and a huge inspiration. However the obstacle part is more a social issue, the kids are not responsible in any way.

Erzsébet Czopyk wrote:

200w_d

My sympathy for your loss. Polls are not compulsory, no need to reply if you don't want to. The question doesn't actually ask for specific information on whether you have kids or how many, only whether they can be an obstacle. Most people answer according to their own experience but it's not like those polls on which CAT tool you use for which project, since those without children can still answer.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you think that raising kids can be an obstacle to succeeding as a freelance translator?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »