Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How do you feel when a client doesn't address you by your name in the head of emails?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 06:31
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Depends on the context... May 19, 2017

Are you talking about mass emails?

All my other clients, if we are in the middle of a project or worked on a project before, always address me by my first name?

[Edited at 2017-05-19 21:10 GMT]

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:31
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mass emails? May 19, 2017

Many colleagues mentioned mass emails. However, mass emails are looking for low prices or are just from people who are expanding their database and want a lot of translators in a lot of pairs. Either way, it's still an email that deserves no reply. Straight to the trash.
Has anybody ever been engaged for a decent job with a decent pay from a mass email? I haven't.

ThorinE
ThorinE  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
No problems with headers, but... May 20, 2017

There have been some clients who are either extremely polite, or most likely just don't understand the etiquette in English, who end an e-mail with, "Love, _________".

Umang Dholabhai
Umang Dholabhai  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 10:01
English to Gujarati
+ ...
Other May 20, 2017

Christine Andersen wrote:

It depends very much on the client.
I have never been good at formalities myself, so if the rest of the mail is reasonable, it doesn't worry me.
Group e-mails are sometimes necessary when deadlines are tight, and I appreciate 'Dear translators' to save time, as long as I basically know the client.

I often exchange brief mails with PMs and we don't always write names at the top of the fifth one-liner.

What I hate is a badly-spelled message from a total stranger with a commanding tone, starting with a bare 'Hi,' and demanding my fastest attention and 'best rate'.
If they cannot even write 'please', and shorten it to pls. my blood boils!
However, that sort never become clients!

I had, and potentially still have, a client who is a master of super-short e-mails.

He would typically start a string of mails with:
H

He doesn't always include my name at the top, and the final mail would simply be:

He is a pleasure to work with - we talk on the phone.

Perfect. You are not alone.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Other May 20, 2017

I have one client who sends out the projects to different translators, thus the greeting is "Hi All", which is fine with me since it's going to different colleagues who are providing the same translation in different languages. Whenever I deliver the translation, the confirmation includes my name.

When my clients and I exchange several emails regarding the same project, we only address each other by name in the first email/reply, then just continue with the information. For as long
... See more
I have one client who sends out the projects to different translators, thus the greeting is "Hi All", which is fine with me since it's going to different colleagues who are providing the same translation in different languages. Whenever I deliver the translation, the confirmation includes my name.

When my clients and I exchange several emails regarding the same project, we only address each other by name in the first email/reply, then just continue with the information. For as long as the email exchange is polite/friendly, I don't mind. If the tone is too demanding, well, then I do mind a little, but don't waste my time on pondering over it.

Mass emails from unknown people are a different matter. They usually are immediately send to my special File 13.
Collapse

Antonio Tomás Lessa do Amaral
Antonio Tomás Lessa do Amaral
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Gender mistake May 24, 2017

My first name is Antonio, presumably because most interpreters and translators are women, now and then I get a message addressed to Dear Antonia.
Once commenting this with one of such senders, I was told: Sorry, I thought you had misspelled your name!
Would you trust a translation to a translator who misspells his (sorry, her) own name?

[Edited at 2017-05-24 20:40 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do you feel when a client doesn't address you by your name in the head of emails?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »