Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Is there a school subject that might have helped you as a freelancer if you had paid more attention?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Romina Pérez Escorihuela
Romina Pérez Escorihuela  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:25
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes! May 16, 2017

Accounting! Definitely.... I never paid much attention to that subject and, at the beginning of my freelance career, I started to suffer the consequences.... until a colleague stepped in and recommended me his bookkeeper!

Oriol Vives (X)
Oriol Vives (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:25
English to Catalan
+ ...
Same here. May 16, 2017

Teresa Borges wrote:

I always paid attention to all subjects; I was an excellent student, maybe not very clever, but very hard worker and very motivated…

The first phrase was my though exactly. The rest suits me fine too

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:25
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes May 16, 2017

With Geography and History, I learned a lot about other peoples.

Elena David
Elena David  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Latin May 16, 2017

I guess everyone already said what I was thinking: Latin.
I studied in my Graduation course, but it could be easier and helpful in school.

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Yes May 17, 2017

I wish I'd been taught about:

Mandatory Convertible Debentures.

Robust client-centric, web-enabled, multichannel, multi-currency procurement platforms.

Cross-docking systems.

US GAAP / IFRS

Laser-optical alignment of machine trains.
etc....

Hey teacher, leave...

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
The same May 17, 2017

Oriol Vives wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

I always paid attention to all subjects; I was an excellent student, maybe not very clever, but very hard worker and very motivated…

The first phrase was my though exactly. The rest suits me fine too

And a lot of it has been bloody useless. Latin taught me a method for analysing text in languages where words change forms - I mainly use it for Romanian. On the other hand, "o-s-t-mus-tis-nt-r-ris-tur-mur-miní-ntur" still haunts my head, taking place that could be used for more relevant information.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:25
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Biology May 17, 2017

I probably got a decent grade, but it started right off with dissecting a worm, which grossed me out. I had to catch it, kill it, cut it open with a slit down the middle of its back, and peel off its skin. That's the only part I remember, and I remember it vividly. Plus, the partner who was assigned to me happened to be the same person who was bullying me between classes.

That doesn't include the many other science and math classes I avoided. We were allowed to take a modern languag
... See more
I probably got a decent grade, but it started right off with dissecting a worm, which grossed me out. I had to catch it, kill it, cut it open with a slit down the middle of its back, and peel off its skin. That's the only part I remember, and I remember it vividly. Plus, the partner who was assigned to me happened to be the same person who was bullying me between classes.

That doesn't include the many other science and math classes I avoided. We were allowed to take a modern language instead of Latin, which got me started with Spanish.
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
All of them, May 18, 2017

Absolutely all subjects and everything else I have ever learned in this life are useful for translation. But I answered "no" because I don't think I paid little attention to any of them, and although I was not a straight A student, I was a B+ student in most subjects, and I really don't think I would be doing any better if I had been a straight A student. I really wouldn't wanna be like any of the people I met years later, who were straight-A students in school.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Is there a school subject that might have helped you as a freelancer if you had paid more attention?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »