Creating installation floppies: how to install Office 97 on laptop w/o cd?
Thread poster: Bharg Shah
Bharg Shah
Bharg Shah  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 18:47
French to English
+ ...
Dec 7, 2002

I have procured an old IBM Thinkpad 360P laptop which has only a floppy drive and no CD drive. How can I install Office 97 on it? Is there any way to make installation disks from my CD of office 97? The same question for Windows 95.

Any place where I can download a manual for the Thinkpad 360P?

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:17
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I´m afraid you are not able to create floppies from CD Dec 7, 2002

But you could try to connect your IBM to the home PC via network (LAN) or with PC direct connection (you need a serial or parallel or a special USB-cable) and then install Office form CD in your home PC.

Jerzy

Yongmei Liu
Yongmei Liu  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:17
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Windows 95 & Word 97 Dec 7, 2002

I don\'t think you can make your own diskettes off the CD. When Windows 95 first came out, people could have it on floppies instead of diskettes. The whole set is 10-15 floppies. Let\'s hope someone could donate his set.

As to Word 97, you can set up DCC (Direct Cable Connection) on the Thinkpad and a desktop with a CD-ROM, and download the software for the desktop.

Finally, this machine seems to be very weak. The link in Japanese says the CPU is 486-3
... See more
I don\'t think you can make your own diskettes off the CD. When Windows 95 first came out, people could have it on floppies instead of diskettes. The whole set is 10-15 floppies. Let\'s hope someone could donate his set.

As to Word 97, you can set up DCC (Direct Cable Connection) on the Thinkpad and a desktop with a CD-ROM, and download the software for the desktop.

Finally, this machine seems to be very weak. The link in Japanese says the CPU is 486-33MHz, with 32M of memory. If you install Windows 95 and Word 97, it\'s going to be very, very slow.

http://www-6.ibm.com/jp/pc/prod/ha/0347.html
Collapse

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:17
Danish to English
+ ...
IBM thinkpad Dec 7, 2002

I suggest you go to IBMs website support center to get the best answers to your questions. I have been in the same position with an old Gateway laptop and found that installing a new and later version of a program on the old machine takes up too much memory and the machine is unbearably slow. I suggest you install another drive first before installation the new and larger programs. In addition, you could add an external R/W CD drive for your CD installations

Bharg Shah
India
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How do I connect 2 PCs with a parallel or serial cable? Dec 8, 2002

Thanks for your suggestions.

Do I need any software for this? What steps do I need to follow to connect my P4 desktop PC with the IBM thinkpad 360P - it has a serial as well as a parallel port.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No software, but a nill(null)-modem-cable necessary Dec 8, 2002

You can use the function of connecting two PCs from Windows. You should only buy a proper cable. Refer to Windows help for details - this issue is detailed described there.

Jerzy

Cicero
Cicero
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:17
Japanese to English
+ ...
Instaling W95 and Office97 Dec 9, 2002

I agree with itranslate. The hardware configuration, if correct as stated, will make the IBM Thinkpad 360P laptop very slow.

Assuming you can get the files on floppies, I remember W95 supplied on HD 1.44 floppies but not Office 97, the slowness of the laptop can be greatly reduced if the minimal installation option of both programmes is chosen.

Best of luck

Didier

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 21:17
Chinese to English
+ ...
Download Jan 29, 2021

Office 97 is available for download from several reputable websites and it is legal to do so in some jurisdictions.

Bharg Shah
India
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all Jan 29, 2021

This was over 20 years back! Not necessary any more. Thank you for the suggestions anyway.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Lincoln Jan 29, 2021

Lincoln Hui wrote:
Office 97 is available for download from several reputable websites and it is legal to do so in some jurisdictions.

Well, Archive.org certainly has it, but not all executable files on Archive.org are safe to download, as they can also have been "donated" by kind volunteers. Yesterday, for a lark, I tried getting Microsoft Office 2013 to run on Windows XP, but no: the OS is too old. The latest version of Office that runs on Windows XP is Office 2010 (which is nevertheless still quite similar to Office 365). And rearming doesn't seem to work on Windows XP either.

On a slightly related note, I'm told that until recently, new versions Wordfast Classic were tested to work on Word 2000 (in addition to later versions of Word, obviously).

[Edited at 2021-01-29 07:42 GMT]

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I'm sure... Jan 29, 2021

Bharg Shah wrote:

This was over 20 years back!

... that Lincoln will be able to dig out a translator / translation related post here on proz dealing with the (at those times) current effects of the Spanish Flu on our industry.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Rachel Waddington
Christopher Schröder
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
P.L.F. Persio

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:17
Member (2004)
English to Italian
clearly... Jan 29, 2021

Matthias Brombach wrote:

... that Lincoln will be able to dig out a translator / translation related post here on proz dealing with the (at those times) current effects of the Spanish Flu on our industry.

doing it on purpose, for some reason...

P.L.F. Persio

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 21:17
Chinese to English
+ ...
Stay on topic Jan 29, 2021

You should stay on topic. It's against the forum rules to stray from the posted topic.

Matthias Brombach

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating installation floppies: how to install Office 97 on laptop w/o cd?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »