Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Is there an easy and fast way to enter prescribed number of characters in a MS Excel file?
Thread poster: Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 19:19
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wow, but what is the step by step procedure to do so? Apr 1, 2020

Gerard de Noord wrote:

I think Giuliana came up with the easiest solution. Use a monospaced Hindi font in Word and move the right margin of the whole document to the left until the first line starts to wrap.

Screenshot (15)

You seem to have the exact solution for it. This is precisely what I want. I would be indebted if you could explain the step by step procedure or method for doing so.

You even have translated my post probably by means of using Google Translate so as to check its compatibility for Hindi.

Please explain its procedure in detail, it will save a great deal of time and efforts.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:49
English to Russian
Courier or Calibri Apr 1, 2020

Just select all your text and set the above referenced font for example. Add a 1-column table and paste your text in there. Then just drag the right border so that it cuts the line between characters 32 and 33. Or, you don't even need the table, if you know how to move the text boundaries with the ruler tool.

However, may ask you a question before you abandon this thread? Some Hindi symbols contain more than one character. For instance, when I select के and press Ctrl+Shift+G in
... See more
Just select all your text and set the above referenced font for example. Add a 1-column table and paste your text in there. Then just drag the right border so that it cuts the line between characters 32 and 33. Or, you don't even need the table, if you know how to move the text boundaries with the ruler tool.

However, may ask you a question before you abandon this thread? Some Hindi symbols contain more than one character. For instance, when I select के and press Ctrl+Shift+G in MS Word, the character count is 2. So my question is: when you paste your Hindi translation into your Excel file, does the line length limiting feature count symbols or characters? In other words, if I paste के into your Excel file, it would be 1 or 2 chars? Thank you

[Edited at 2020-04-01 12:29 GMT]
Collapse

Giuliana Maltempo
Rajan Chopra

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:49
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Step by step Apr 1, 2020

You have sentences in Hindi that have to be pasted in Excel cells with a maximum of 32 characters including spaces per cell. This is what you do in Word:

Add a line above your text.
Type: 12345678901234567890123456789012 on that line.
Select all text in the document (Ctrl+A) and apply a monospaced Hindi font (Devanagari?).
Now the first line can determine where all other lines in the Hindi tekst have to wrap.
In the Word menu, click on View. Enable Ruler.
... See more
You have sentences in Hindi that have to be pasted in Excel cells with a maximum of 32 characters including spaces per cell. This is what you do in Word:

Select all text in the document (Ctrl+A) and apply a monospaced Hindi font (Devanagari?).
Now the first line can determine where all other lines in the Hindi tekst have to wrap.
If necessary, select all text in the document (Ctrl+A).
Hover your mouse pointer above the Right Indent marker until it says Right Margin.
Click and drag with your mouse to move the right margin to the left.
At one point the last 2 on the first line will move over to the next line. Move the margin back, so the last 2 will just fit on the first line.
Theoratically all Hindi tekst in the document will now have wrapped to fit within the space of 32 characters.
Paste the tekst into Excel line by line.

Cheers,
Gerard
Collapse

Rajan Chopra

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good point Apr 1, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:

However, may ask you a question before you abandon this thread? Some Hindi symbols contain more than one character. For instance, when I select के and press Ctrl+Shift+G in MS Word, the character count is 2. So my question is: when you paste your Hindi translation into your Excel file, does the line length limiting feature count symbols or characters? In other words, if I paste के into your Excel file, it would be 1 or 2 chars? Thank you

[Edited at 2020-04-01 12:29 GMT]

के would mean 2 characters

Stepan Konev

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks so much for your time and efforts Apr 1, 2020

Gerard de Noord wrote:

If necessary, select all text in the document (Ctrl+A).
Hover your mouse pointer above the Right Indent marker until it says Right Margin.
Click and drag with your mouse to move the right margin to the left.
At one point the last 2 on the first line will move over to the next line. Move the margin back, so the last 2 will just fit on the first line.
Theoratically all Hindi tekst in the document will now have wrapped to fit within the space of 32 characters.
Paste the tekst into Excel line by line.

Cheers,
Gerard

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there an easy and fast way to enter prescribed number of characters in a MS Excel file?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »